Help - Stains in Roof (sorry for the long post)

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Help - Stains in Roof (sorry for the long post)

Washed my car last week and tried it.

I noticed 3-4 quater-sized stains on the roof.
Its feels like it cracked the clear coat.

I took it to the dealership to see what they can do for me.

The tried to buff it out, but didn't work.

I was told by the Service Manager that by the looks of it, it's bird poop.

He said it had eaten thru the clear coat, yet it felt smooth.

I looked at it again, and not sure if it was poop or not.

I always take the poop off right when i see it with water.
(always keep a bottle in the car for poop)

Well after buffing it, its feels even smoother, but it was still really visible, as if its part of the clear coat.

They said nothing else can be done except for re-painting it or I just have to live with these visible spots.

I have the Sym-Tech paint protection which Acura sold us at a PREMIUM price.

I mentioned this to the Service Manager and the Business Manager who sold us this protection, and they both said it doesn't cover bird crap, and showed me the Acura Warranty book.

I was PISSED and stormed out, thinking I need to get to a pro detailer.

The detailer couldn't do much either.

I took it to a body shop and was told they can Wet-Sand it and re-apply a wax / compound. (anyone heard of this method?) (150.00)
The guy (owner of the shop) was so positive that he can remove the stains.

I was asked to go back on monday as it was closing time on friday.

When i got home, i read over the contract for Sym-Tech, and it did not state it doesn't warranty bird poop or tree sap.

i called the stealership again today and spoke with the same business manager and read to hlm the contact on the paint protection.
He said that i would ahve to speak with the service manager again, but he was not in.

The contact states covers fading, oxidation, weather caused...
(bird ppop baing in sun for a couple hours, it oxidies? right?

I said i didn't want to speak with him again as i know this well not get anywhere because i already told him i have the protection.
(acura selling a product they know shit about and won't stand behind)

I was told that i can call Sym-tech directly on monday and they can send someone to the dealership to inspect and make a final decision.
if this is warranted, they will have the dealer fix it and re-imburse the dealer.
I was explained that this protection was more of an "insurance" than a warranty but the service rep i spoke with.

i don't care what it is, i paid a PREMIUM out the ass for it, and it should cover this.

Sould i just try the wet-sanding method with the body shop or go thru this with Sym-tech and the dealership?

any advice/suggestion/anything?

Please help?
Old 09-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,011 Likes on 1,430 Posts
first go with the sym-tech and see what they can do for you. If they can do anything, ask a body shop if they can just spray on a new clearcoat on the entire roof.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Racer

have you tried using mild rubbing compound to remove the stain? that stuff works great for me when i see a stain made by tree sap and the regular "bug, tar, and tree sap remover" can't get it out... use the rubbing compound and then wax it with a good cleaner wax
Old 09-11-2006, 05:55 PM
Instructor

The symtech people will no help.

Damn....tried the compound and the wax, and buffing.
guess what? it went thru the paint, yet it still feels smooth.

Now there is 2 spots with out the paint, i think it went to the primer, it looks greyish.

Do u think this will rust?

do i have to paint the whole roof? or is there another solution?

acura's paint is so cheap.

went to a body shop and was quoted 560.00 CAD to paint the roof plus a think coat of clear.

My main coern is that they have to strip the 2 mouldings on the side of the car on the roof.
I'm afraid is they don't out it back on correctly, I'll get wind noise.

such a say day.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by quanTL
The symtech people will no help.

Damn....tried the compound and the wax, and buffing.
guess what? it went thru the paint, yet it still feels smooth.

Now there is 2 spots with out the paint, i think it went to the primer, it looks greyish.

What color is the car?

Do u think this will rust? If you still see the grey primer you should be ok in terms of rust...unless it eats through that too and exposes the metal that can get oxidized causing it to rust..

do i have to paint the whole roof? or is there another solution? depends on how bad the spots are...if you don't do the whole roof, you may be able to see differences in the paint if the color is not matched up just right if you end up doing the whole roof, the mismatching of paint color issue can come up again and you may notice a difference in shade of color between the roof and the panels between the door tops and the roof...

acura's paint is so cheap.

went to a body shop and was quoted 560.00 CAD to paint the roof plus a think coat of clear.

My main coern is that they have to strip the 2 mouldings on the side of the car on the roof.
I'm afraid is they don't out it back on correctly, I'll get wind noise.

ASK your dealer about the windnoise issue and if it does result in that problem, if they can fix it and put it back correctly but the body shop should be able to put it back fine i mean they probably have to do this ...how many times a year...it may be routine for them ....

such a say day.

read what i wrote...its underlined (had to write this or it wouldn't let me send the reply..LOL)
Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Instructor

Color is NBP.

Now I have to spots on the roof that is greyhish in colour.

Can they paint just the affected area? or do they have to paint the whole roof?

I don't want to go back to acura, cause they'll just outsource to another shop and charge me up the yinyang for it.
Old 09-12-2006, 08:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by quanTL
Color is NBP.

Now I have to spots on the roof that is greyhish in colour.

Can they paint just the affected area? or do they have to paint the whole roof?

I don't want to go back to acura, cause they'll just outsource to another shop and charge me up the yinyang for it.

ASK, ask around, ask your neighbors, ask your friends, ask yoru parents, ask their friends, find a good body shop, i mean real good, it may not be the cheapest one but in comparisson to what you might be getting with a body shop that does things half-assed (there are plenty of douche bag body shops in every town/state) you'll be getting what you pay for...
Old 09-13-2006, 08:59 PM
Instructor

is there a way to fix the spots without painting the whole roof?