HELP - Sluggish cold start and slight knocking sound while cold

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 01:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP - Sluggish cold start and slight knocking sound while cold

My 2006 TL has been starting very sluggishly when I go out to start it at the beginning of my day, it also has a very slight knocking sounds before it warms up. It also doesn't have as much "get up and go" as it used to. Does anyone know what could be my issue? Acura said I need to change my timing belt and replace my water pump and trans fluid but who has $1500 laying around to dish out to a dealership? Please HELP
Old 09-12-2017, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
if you chooe to neglect the maintenance on your car, your car will neglect you.
also, you don't have to go through a dealer. there is plenty of OEM kits available online and you can take it to a reputable mechanic.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:47 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyGuti
if you chooe to neglect the maintenance on your car, your car will neglect you.
also, you don't have to go through a dealer. there is plenty of OEM kits available online and you can take it to a reputable mechanic.

Yes, you are completely right. I meant in the sense of will that actually solve my issues or will I just pay the money and still have the problems. But thank you for directing me to the kits as I did not know they existed.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
And check/change your spark plugs. That's probably (at least) part of the problem. How many miles are on your car? What other maintenance has been done lately?
Old 01-25-2019, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Thank you for the TSB info. I already made an appointment with my dealer letting them know about this TSB and of course I have to leave the car because they need to replicate it. I will let you know what the dealer says on Tuesday.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 649 Likes on 349 Posts
Jsen you have to perform maintenance on your TL and there is no way around it. Your car is telling you it's not feeling well but it sounds like you want us to tell you it will go away if you pray hard enough lol. We have no way of diagnosing what your knocking is. It could be your belt tensioner failing, plugs loose, drive belt tensioners failing. If you don't have $1500 laying around then take it to a shop and have them look at it for you for $100 or take it to Acura for $150. What maintenance have you done with the TL since you've had it?