Help Identify Engine Coolant Temp Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 09:49 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Help Identify Engine Coolant Temp Sensors

I have a 2007 Acura TL that is throwing a "P0118 Engine Coolant Temp Sensor Circuit 1" code. I see that there is two, one on the Radiator and one in the Thermostat housing neck but I'm not sure which one is bad. Here are the symptoms i got prior to getting the CEL.

After sitting for a week in the garage, started the car and the RPM stayed steady around 1500.
The Cold temp guage remained in the cold position after running for 10 minutes, both hoses are at the normal temp and preasurrized
The car would not shift above 2nd gear so I took it back home and the temp guage was still sitting at cold.

I will get the Engine coolant temp sensor but I'm not sure which one is identified as Circuit 1., please help.

Thanks
jcs
Old 07-18-2017, 09:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,585 Likes on 6,631 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...t-come-947383/
Old 07-18-2017, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the reply, I just replaced the one in the intake and it's still giving me the same symptoms.
If I disconnect the upper one and leave the bottom one connected the car runs at normal idle but the check light came on again after resetting it with the same code P0118.
Reconnected the top (new) sensor and same results. After clearing the codes and letting it run I now have a P2185 & P0118 codes and I just noticed the VSA light is on.
Since both sensors are the same, I'm going to let it cool down, drain the radiator and replace the radiator sensor with the one removed from the thermostat housing and let yall know what I come up with.

thnaks
jcs
Old 07-18-2017, 06:00 PM
Intermediate

Update!

Them darn Squirrels ate thru about six wires on the harness under the throttle body that terminates in a block and connects to the main harness. that explains the crazy symptoms after sitting for a week. I'm going to try and do some careful splicing.

thanks
jcs