Help ! 08 TL-S Power Steering leak and trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 05:40 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Angry Help ! 08 TL-S Power Steering leak and trans issue

Hey guys! So I had been going to this garage for the past almost 2 years for car repairs. She is my daily driver and I usually bring her every 2 months at the shop so they can check and verify everything and let me know if something needs to be changed/fixed. At least that's what I expected and that's what I requested he do. So anyway on Nov 15th, I brought the car to the garage to get an oil change and get them to put on winter tires. After that, he was supposed to drop off the car at the body shop for windshield, side view mirrors, part wrap and other minor things.
Body shop did not get the car before the 17th/18th which I thought was weird because it does not take that long to get an oil and tire change. Anyway, the body shop calls me, tells me the car was smoking when he got it and that he was going to check it out further. He calls me the same evening with a list of issues:
-Engine mount completely done for
-The cold air intake was cut with a saw at the bottom where it takes air from the outside to bring to the engine and he said it looked like someone pulled or jerked on it because all the screws were ripped out so nothing was holding it in place.
-The power steering oil was leaking into the spark plugs
-The engine cover had no screws in it.

The blinking D which I had brought up with my other garage told me it was nothing to be worried about. Now the body shop is having issues because the car will go into drive but will not go into reverse. Oh and not to forget that apparently the car was running on 3 cylinders out of 5. See I noticed a few things that were bothering me and I spoke to this garage about it and he kept brushing me off and telling me it was no big deal. Like wtf this dude was well paid I am so pissed.

Then you will ask why I haven't been doing repairs myself? I a very clumsy woman and not very mechanically inclined. Anyway someone fked up and now its a sht show and I don't know what to do. Here are the pictures I was sent by the body shop. Pls help

If you look at this bottom picture you can see that the cold air intake is not even connected to anything! To make it worse the garage was supposed to replace the top hose for the cold air intake because it was torn. So clearly he must have seen this?

If he did an oil change, how could he not see the power steering leaking into the spark plugs? I had been asking him for months now to take a look at the spark plugs because I wanted to have them changed and he told me they were fine I don't need to worry about it. Thank God I the body shop also has a repair shop.

Anyway now we are trying to figure out what could be causing the issue with the car going into drive and not reverse? Could it be a sensor or a solenoid or something? Help!
Old 12-27-2021, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 517 Posts
Lawyer up!
Old 12-27-2021, 07:40 PM

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts
Looks like either some dumb kid tried to do a resonator delete or the car was wrecked at some point and the body shop skimped on parts that wouldn't be seen. The factory intake should look like this:

But to be honest that's the least of your problems. The car will run fine with any of these bits upstream of the filter missing.

There was a recall for the power steering hose in the area I think you're saying had a leak. Was it done? Punch your VIN into recalls.acura.com.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:28 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Superunknown
Looks like either some dumb kid tried to do a resonator delete or the car was wrecked at some point and the body shop skimped on parts that wouldn't be seen. The factory intake should look like this:

But to be honest that's the least of your problems. The car will run fine with any of these bits upstream of the filter missing.

There was a recall for the power steering hose in the area I think you're saying had a leak. Was it done? Punch your VIN into recalls.acura.com.

Yes I checked no active recalls on the car
Old 12-28-2021, 04:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 258 Posts
I have to agree: the mess on top of the engine, power steering leak & air intake are all small problems relative to the Transmission not going into reverse.

Service manuals point to a mechanical or hydraulic (valve) issue, not an electromechanical (solenoid) problem; which requires dismantling to diagnose. most shops just replace the transmission altogether.