Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 05:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlights

I notice that when im driving at night my left headlight seems to be higher than the right...my cousin also told me the same thing...when I was driving behind her she said that my left headlight looks brighter than the lright...can anybody come up with a solotion...does it need to be taken to the dealership to be readjusted?
Old 10-14-2006, 06:19 PM
Gratis dictum

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, your left light should be lower than the right one, so that you do not blind oncoming traffic at night. You can adjust them yourself. Look in your owners manual, or do a search in this forum. It's really pretty easy.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
Reality check --- the split level (right side slightly higher aim) is built into each headlight !!!!!!

I discovered this the hard way. I needed to adjust my lights, so I thought that I would eliminate this split-level too just to make things look cleaner. I did like Acura suggests... I parked 25 feet from a wall at night. I placed a heavy towel over one light as I adjusted the other. To my amazement, I saw that each individual light has this split-level. Remember, I placed a heavy towel over one light to isolate them while adjusting. The split-level is built into each headlight. Needless to say, I still have the split-level.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:20 AM
3rd Gear

But I notice on other TL's when they drive behind me or are oncoming there headlights are the exact same...and my right one aims lower...its really kinda annoying...I want them to be even.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Safety Car

You said that "my right one aims lower". Did you mean to say that the left one (driver side) aims lower ?

Also, just speculating, I would say that ALL other TL's have the split-level. It just that you can not detect the split when looking at TL's along the road. You would need to view the beam from within that car to see the split level. Just me speculating.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,003 Likes on 1,423 Posts
wasn't there a TSB on this issue? When i sit in the driver seat, the left looks higher. When i sit on the passenger side, the right one looks higher.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:10 PM
3rd Gear

I know the drivers side one is higher because my cousin was driving in front of me one time and she said...the driver side headlight looks brighter than the passenger side...I just want to know if I take it to the dealership will they adjust it for me for it to be even...I just dont want my headlights looking retarted when im driving...
Old 10-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by PltnmAcura83
I just want to know if I take it to the dealership will they adjust it for me for it to be even...I just dont want my headlights looking retarted when im driving...
The "retarded looking" split-level aiming is the factory setting. So, I doubt that the dealership would "go against" the factory setting. But, they might.... it wouldn't hurt to ask. I recommend calling your preffered dealership and asking the service manager.

By the way, if you get it done, please let us know. Because as I said in an earlier post, I don't see how the split-level can be elimnated. I tried myself to do it, but the split is built into each lamp.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:12 PM
I LOVE MY TL

the driver side is higher then the passengerside is normal i guess..mine is like that too..Lmao ..anyways here is how it look like if its not even..
TSX projector with color mods on my accord. i was messing around when i got it on and this is how it look like when i got it..got to adjust it to make it even right?
not even..left side is higher then driver.

drivesider is the low one and the passengerside is the high one.

behind my sister van.soo i wont blind other people beside her.. [she say its soo bright i blind her when she drive away from me]

here it is when lined straight together..you can see the 2 cutoff line is on top of eachother....seeing mad colors and bright..this was a 5300k D2R bulb with D2S fitted

just thought it might help if you want to know how bright or how it would look like if it was straight on top of eachother...soo line it up or let it be 1 higher then the other. ? ? ? ?
Old 10-17-2006, 09:08 PM
Safety Car

ViNhXoNxAcuraTL, thanks for the pics. These will help us in our discussion.

The GREEN arrow is the normal split-level that I was talking about. This GREEN arrow is normal and the way Acura designed the light pattern.

The RED arrows are abnormal and need warranty work.
Also, see this link that discusses adjusting the headlights.
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/custom-radio-dash-kit-92736/
Old 10-17-2006, 09:18 PM
Safety Car

OMG !!!!

Sorry, I did not notice the MAJOR problem at first. Now I see your problem.. damn !!!!! I am surprise that no one has taken any shots (as in gunshots) at you yet.

One of your lamps is WAY WAY WAY too high (indicated with RED line). The GREEN line is the normal hieght.

Plus, this pic proves my point that the split level is built into each lamp. Notice that each lamp (green and red) each have their own split-level.

GET YOUR LIGHTS ADJUSTED ASAP !!!!!

Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ViNhXoNxAcuraTL
here it is when lined straight together..: ?
Like shown in the illustration below, the line should be at headlight height (I think mine was approx 25 inches) on a wall that is 25 feet away. I placed a heavy towel over one lamp (and then the vice versa) as I adjusted the other to aim them to the same hieght.

Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
I LOVE MY TL

oh no this was taken months ago on my retro on the accord..i parked behind a store and relined it..haha thanks for the warning..that is why i drive behind my sister van..LOL..i was throwing picture out to let people know how and what and might look like ..

thanks Inaccurate for the warning.. :P
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 PM
Cruisin'

Inaccurate - I've searched a lot of the headlight adjustment topics but I am still confused on where to measure the cut line. In this photo with the red and green lines where you trace the cut line, for the green line where do you measure, the higher part of the green line or the lower part of the green line? There was about 2 inches difference when I measured mine.

Originally Posted by Inaccurate
OMG !!!!

Sorry, I did not notice the MAJOR problem at first. Now I see your problem.. damn !!!!! I am surprise that no one has taken any shots (as in gunshots) at you yet.

One of your lamps is WAY WAY WAY too high (indicated with RED line). The GREEN line is the normal hieght.

Plus, this pic proves my point that the split level is built into each lamp. Notice that each lamp (green and red) each have their own split-level.

GET YOUR LIGHTS ADJUSTED ASAP !!!!!

Old 12-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Cruisin'

I was able to figure out which part of the "split level" to measure from looking at the 2007 TL factory service manual. You measure the upper part of the "split level" which should measure the same as the headlight height. Mine measured about 25.25". You measure the headlight level from the center of the light. If you look closely, there is a tiny little circle molded into the headlight lens to indicate the center.