headlight output way too low and not far enough?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:13 PM
08 WDP TL-S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
headlight output way too low and not far enough?

hi everyone,

After i tried to put some 6k bulbs on headlight,then i have this problem...my problem is my headlight output way too low and not far enough?hope everyone can help me out....
and after a day i switch back the stock one and the problem comes again?and i did bring to the dealer and check,but they said its normal?...because when i look some 3g opposite direction,it was so bright n far output enough,i realy have no idea why!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:01 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The higher numbers do not have as much output as the lower numbers. They also produce more glare for oncoming drivers.

If you had the same problem after switching back, they're probably just aimed too low. These HIDs are very sensitive to aiming since they are very intense and have a sharp cutoff point. Think about it for a second, we don't even have actual "brights", the reflector just changes the aim of the lights for brights.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
You will need to re-adjust the headlights. Check the 3G Service Dept. on how to re-adjust them to factory specs. All you need is a wall, a measuring tape and a philips head screw-driver that's more than 7 inches long so you can to the screw
Old 07-05-2010, 01:48 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by I hate cars
The higher numbers do not have as much output as the lower numbers. They also produce more glare for oncoming drivers.

If you had the same problem after switching back, they're probably just aimed too low. These HIDs are very sensitive to aiming since they are very intense and have a sharp cutoff point. Think about it for a second, we don't even have actual "brights", the reflector just changes the aim of the lights for brights.
yeah i know,now the problem is i switch it back to stock bulbs and the problem is still here,make me pissed
Old 07-05-2010, 01:52 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by csmeance
You will need to re-adjust the headlights. Check the 3G Service Dept. on how to re-adjust them to factory specs. All you need is a wall, a measuring tape and a philips head screw-driver that's more than 7 inches long so you can to the screw
i will check it out now and thanks buddy!
when i see on the wall is definitely look ok and good enough,but the point is when i drive i can see not bright,far,high and clear at all....especially when i drive,and i compare to other cars with stock projector HID
Old 07-05-2010, 06:47 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

Actually, our headlamp beams are controlled by a flap which when down, is in the low beam position and when up, is in the high beam position. The lamps themselves don't move.
Old 07-05-2010, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Bread-A Spec
hi everyone,

After i tried to put some 6k bulbs on headlight,then i have this problem...my problem is my headlight output way too low and not far enough?hope everyone can help me out....
and after a day i switch back the stock one and the problem comes again?and i did bring to the dealer and check,but they said its normal?...because when i look some 3g opposite direction,it was so bright n far output enough,i realy have no idea why!
You're making a mistake by going to higher temperature lamps for several reasons already stated. One of their biggest faults is their reduced effectiveness in rainy conditions.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
Actually, our headlamp beams are controlled by a flap which when down, is in the low beam position and when up, is in the high beam position. The lamps themselves don't move.

That was what I meant but I didn't know the term for the flap. The real point being there is no extra bulb for brights and the intensity of the bulb does not change. If you've ever had them aimed even a little too high, people start flashing you quickly. They're not as forgiving as Halogens.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
new bulbs need 50-100 hours of use to get their full brightness and color stabilized.
drive with them on all the time to get some `burn in` them

6ks are tougher to see by,,less actual white light in front of you
5s are nice compromise for us older folk with see'in problems--they pick out the road lines and signs better than stock does
stock is 4300

what brand bulb are you running?

if the car is lowered or the tires changed or maybe a 50 pound sub in the trunk??--that requires a reset of headlight aim
Nice of Acura to make it such an easy DIY--follow the groove~
Old 07-05-2010, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

That was what I meant but I didn't know the term for the flap. The real point being there is no extra bulb for brights and the intensity of the bulb does not change. If you've ever had them aimed even a little too high, people start flashing you quickly. They're not as forgiving as Halogens.
I figured you knew. I was just making the point for others who may not know.

I re-aimed my '04 headlamps the first month I owned the car, taking them as high as I could without causing on-coming drivers to go nuts. Where I live, there are a bunch of 4-legged creatures running around and I want to see the, well in advance of hitting them and hurting my car.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

I had to re-aim mine a week after purchase but I had to lower them. I installed subs in the trunk and that was alll it took to make it blind drivers. Sometimes I feel bad when I'm cresting a hill and I light up the inside of someone's car in front of me. Very worth it though. I don't think I could ever go back to regular lights again.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:51 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I agree with IHC, I remember when HID kits first came out and I bought one to go in my 99 Sierra and man did it turn heads. After that, I was sold. I was buying HIDs for EVERYTHING lol I will never own another vehicle with halogens
Old 07-05-2010, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

I had them on my last car; a 2002 Altima SE. I would look for them as an option (or standard equipment) on any new car purchase. For my '04 TL, I also installed 9006 Philips Premium lamps for my fogs. These give roughly 25-30% more light just in front of and to the front sides of the car. Perfect for our country roads where I live.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:43 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
new bulbs need 50-100 hours of use to get their full brightness and color stabilized.

5s are nice compromise for us older folk with see'in problems--they pick out the road lines and signs better than stock does
stock is 4300

if the car is lowered or the tires changed or maybe a 50 pound sub in the trunk??--that requires a reset of headlight aim
i m just running stock headlight bulbs now,its just look not clear and way too low?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:45 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl

stock is 4300

i didn't lower the car and i dun have any sub in my trunk,just bone stock 08 type s
Old 07-06-2010, 08:28 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I had them on my last car; a 2002 Altima SE. I would look for them as an option (or standard equipment) on any new car purchase. For my '04 TL, I also installed 9006 Philips Premium lamps for my fogs. These give roughly 25-30% more light just in front of and to the front sides of the car. Perfect for our country roads where I live.
That's good to know about the foglamps. I will never convert mine to HID because I like the warm light from the halogens and it seems like they do a great job of showing detail. However, it would be nice to try that upgrade you're talking about to get a little extra light. They really make a difference on the country roads you talk about.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:00 PM
ScoobyZINE

I also do like the halogen look in the lower fogs, and the HID's up top. But I agree too, I'm game for as much light output as possible I do 90% rural driving.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by AMUA6
I also do like the halogen look in the lower fogs, and the HID's up top. But I agree too, I'm game for as much light output as possible I do 90% rural driving.
Yeah me, too. I want as much light projected out front that the law allows in order to avoid any 4-legged surprises - which we have a lot of where I am.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

That's good to know about the foglamps. I will never convert mine to HID because I like the warm light from the halogens and it seems like they do a great job of showing detail. However, it would be nice to try that upgrade you're talking about to get a little extra light. They really make a difference on the country roads you talk about.
I agree. I would never use HID's for fogs for the same reasons you gave. And there's one other reason. Cars with HID's should not have these lamps switched on and off any more than necessary. If you have HID fogs, every time you engage your "high beams" your fogs are turned off, then come back on when you to to the "low beam" setting. This constant on and off will shorten the life of the ballasts and the lamps.

I have two 3G TL's. Mine has the Philips Premiums for its fogs and my wife's has the factory lamps. You can definitely see the difference between these two cars when using the fogs. She doesn't have a history of driving much at night so I have not replaced them as of yet.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
I know it's slightly off-topic, but I was driving home Sunday night from a party in the GFs 06 Accord. A few months back, I had replaced the stock headlights with aftermarket projector units and a 5000K HID kit from DDM. Thank God I did, as one of our 4 legged friends decided to cross the Interstate right in front of me. Even though I had the cruise set to 70, I had enough time to brake and swerve to avoid a collision. Hell, I didn't even wake up the kids in the backseat! I did have to pull off at the next exit to let the adrenaline wind down.
HIDs > halogen
Old 07-07-2010, 01:25 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dwb993
HIDs > halogen
As headlights, I agree. As fogs, not so much. If the fogs are being used for what they were designed for and not trying to shoot them way down the road, halogen will have the advantage.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
ScoobyZINE

Your kids are heavy sleepers! I will agree, HID's in lower fogs are uber annoying when you meet them head on
Old 07-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Racer

anyone know the length from the ground up to where the hid outputs? since mine is a bit lower since i got my HID installed, and instead of adjusting it lower by 2.1 inches according to the manual just wondering what the right height should be. car is so far stock and inspection is this month too. ew
Old 07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Check the manual, but I think its 23 inches from the ground to the small circles imprinted on the outer lenses of the lights.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:32 PM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by HokAy
anyone know the length from the ground up to where the hid outputs? since mine is a bit lower since i got my HID installed, and instead of adjusting it lower by 2.1 inches according to the manual just wondering what the right height should be. car is so far stock and inspection is this month too. ew
hey buddy,your headlight look so good on the pic,my headlight just look a dot when i see from outside
Old 07-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Racer

hey buddy,your headlight look so good on the pic,my headlight just look a dot when i see from outside
thanks, it was a random shot that and also where i parked it also haha, it was in the shaded area on a bright day and the overshadow makes it look oh so sexyyyy Need to clean it up a bit and reaim my lights so i can actually see some signs on the road then a SHOOT!
Old 07-11-2010, 03:00 AM
08 WDP TL-S

Originally Posted by HokAy
thanks, it was a random shot that and also where i parked it also haha, it was in the shaded area on a bright day and the overshadow makes it look oh so sexyyyy Need to clean it up a bit and reaim my lights so i can actually see some signs on the road then a SHOOT!
Very nice mankeep it clean lol......i really have no idea why my headlight look so cheap n not bright enough?and i did try to put 6k in,still look the same?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
Exclamation

i m just running stock headlight bulbs now,its just look not clear and way too low?
hey thought id semi revive this post because i'm actually having the same problem and have been ever since I tried putting in an aftermarket 6K HID bulb (from HIDExtra) just like the OP. I also have an 08 TL-S and had Acura test my lights just like the OP. they said it tested perfect but obviously there's something wrong. in my head it seems like after putting the aftermarket bulb in and the stock back in, it permanently looks like it lost power and my visual of the road ahead of me is low.

Ive read all the responding posts and I actually readjusted my headlights an hour ago and when i was driving back home, it didn't change much..i'm just looking for a solution since like the OP since I dont think he's satisfied with his headlights as well.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Burning Brakes

anybody with any other suggestions to try?
Old 08-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Racer

reaim them yourself? aim them higher? or get hid fogs too to help you out.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Burning Brakes

check, check and check.
i did readjust them myself. i did aim em a bit higher from what it was. i have HID Fogs too.

i think it's the ballast that is the problem...what do you guys think of replacing your OEM HID kit for an aftermarket one? is that not recommended? is that even possible to do? O_O i tried searching, but had no luck in that category..
Old 08-23-2010, 04:48 PM
Racer

try a different set of HID from another company like DDM or the one i got was a gift from Bavtoys? and its holding up fine, but recently i just re aimed them and it look soo much better because before it was just aim so low that it look odd till i finally re aim them higher probably by like 2-3 inches on each side. also recently got my inspection done and i had the guy look at where my headlights were to his chart thing on the wall and he said my passenger side is a tad high but its fine. so i know im 're aimed' but some of my friends have them pointed higher - but if its a ballast problem then HID wouldnt come on right?