Headlight: Condensation from Cold or Water or What? Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
WRX...I am using hubcentric, but I will give the OEM lugs a shot tommorrow...I'm using gorilla lock lugs, that may be slightly smaller at the base. Maybe this has an effect?!?! Since the ring I'm using has a LITTLE play!
Old 07-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
I have nipples Greg, can you milk me?
Ok...dealerships sell whole cars, right? Would you think it to stop by the dealership to buy a bolt you may have stripped, or some oil or weatherstripping? I mean, they sell whole cars with all these things in them, but they're not a parts store.
Yeah, I'm sure you get my point. Thanks for adding something useful to the thread btw.

PS...thanks for the sunlight tip. That's like jumping into a thread on brain surgery and making the suggestion to take a couple of aspirin. Either way, thanks for stopping in!
hahah wow. Way to get your panties in a bunch! I appreciate the sarcasm, very well done.

Yes, dealerships sell cars, cars of made of parts, each part that they sell has a p/n. This includes bolts. They are not part stores, but they do have the ability to order any parts that honda sells - Just like anyone here can do, just go to a distributer's site. Dealerships dont sell the diffusers out of their headlights, do they? There's no p/n. If so, everyone would be on that.

I'm so sorry I offended you by sharing my experiences with my headlights. isnt that what the site is about? You're 31. Grow up, kid. I wasnt trying to be condescending, just a comment.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:54 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spdtl-s
hahah wow. Way to get your panties in a bunch! I appreciate the sarcasm, very well done.

Yes, dealerships sell cars, cars of made of parts, each part that they sell has a p/n. This includes bolts. They are not part stores, but they do have the ability to order any parts that honda sells - Just like anyone here can do, just go to a distributer's site. Dealerships dont sell the diffusers out of their headlights, do they? There's no p/n. If so, everyone would be on that.

I'm so sorry I offended you by sharing my experiences with my headlights. isnt that what the site is about? You're 31. Grow up, kid. I wasnt trying to be condescending, just a comment.
This
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 AM

Might have had a few cocktails the night I wrote that. Glad you at least appreciated the sarcasm!

Sorry, just in reading your reply it seemed snooty to me, like you came in here and say something that should seem so obvious to others. Then, you post after a much more complex solution is given, what I thought was a very simplistic solution...which should be assumed has been tried already. At least in my opinion.

Either way, sorry for the snide comeback, although in rereading it, it was pretty funny, you must admit! I should really take my birthday off the site...then I could pretend to be 19
Old 07-30-2010, 11:21 AM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Hey easy now I'm only 20 lol
Old 07-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Teehee...well I only said that cause they seem to not mind as much when someone younger spouts off at the mouth. I got called a "kid" that wears panties in my own thread.

No respect for elders, I swear. Plus, I'm not sure how old 6spd is...
Old 07-30-2010, 12:39 PM
Nismo TL yo!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
heyyyy i said nothing about panties!

how old do you think i am??
Old 07-30-2010, 01:07 PM

You said way to get my panties in a bunch.
Hmmm, well, you appreciate sarcasm and actually understood it as such, you know I'm 31 and called me "kid" but you might originally be from NY. My guess would be late 20's?!
Old 07-30-2010, 04:39 PM
ScoobyZINE

You said way to get my panties in a bunch.
Hmmm, well, you appreciate sarcasm and actually understood it as such, you know I'm 31 and called me "kid" but you might originally be from NY. My guess would be late 20's?!

Besides... I bet you look cute in panties :theghey:
Old 08-02-2010, 07:33 AM

^^^you know it!
=)
Old 08-02-2010, 12:37 PM
1st TL-S on air in

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ok back to topic. I was finally able to figure out the problem to my condensation. I was that foam gasket below the ballast. I added a fat bead of silicone around that area and replaced the desiccant pack. That pack was hard as rock which was probably from way to much moisture it absorbed. When i opened up the pack i was surprised that it was a dust type moisture absorber and was I expecting to see the gel balls. So far so good. Ill report back in about a month or so for an update.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:45 PM

Good info! Glad you got it figured out! My des pack was hard as heck too...hmmm...strange.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:28 PM
ScoobyZINE

Revival FTW. So my left headlight had a shit ton of condensation in it two days ago. I thought it had went away but it came right back. I split them both last night and did a little tinkering and HELLA sealed them with Permatex, which is what I did my first set with and NEVER had condensation problems. BUT I did all of this outside in my shop where it's been humid as hell lately and brought them inside to dry over night.

All is well... drive to work and boom the bottom falls out of the sky. I notice a little condensation in my headlights and it pisses me off.
I then get on AZ because I remembered rockstars thread about this, and I believe my problems will be solved when I get home to suck the shit out of my headlights

Any input on this??
Old 08-12-2010, 05:13 PM
ScoobyZINE

I'm also starting to wonder if my 55w Nokya 2500ks running as DRL's has anything to do with melting the lense' seal?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:55 PM

Hmmm, it's funny you say that, I'm getting some peeling on the OUTSIDE of the lense where the DRL is...I may disconnect it, or go back to stock bulb there. But not on the driver side. Weird.

About the headlight...you are blowing the humidity out with the blowdryer, yes, not sucking it out...the sucking didn't end up working for me in the end. You only have to do the hot blowdryer air on high with 2 holes (1 where you route the hose from the blowdryer and 1 to let the humidity out).

J.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:25 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey rockstar,

I recently had my headlights cleared by a vendor who many members use. My oem headlights had minor condensation before but I was told that after adding fresh dessicant bags and a reseal would resolve the issue..... So, since the TL is my weekender car, I decided to give it some exercise and use it this week for work. Well, after not being covered and going from daytime temps to evening temps (50-55 degrees) I started to see the dang condensation forming.
What a bummmer! I also need to mention that I replaced my oem foglight bulb with a LED bulb prior to the work of clearing them. The vendor suggested I go back to the oem bulb because the LED bulb didn't have a good seal. I will have to try your suggestion of using teflon tape.

Do you have an update from when you posted a success story in regards to the solution of your condesation? Has it held up?
Thanks for any advice you can give.

Eddie
Old 11-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Ok, easy answer...yes. Be patient and let your lights RE acclimate to the climate. Cold weather is MUCH less kind...so just be patient. Minor condensation from someone like JNC will go away...it will. Just park facing the sun and he's right...put teflon tape on the base of the led bulb you'll be alright.

I used to think NO condensation was the only way and now I realize, it's a game of give and take. Need patience.
The following users liked this post:
ibtrue2my04TL (11-22-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Ok, easy answer...yes. Be patient and let your lights RE acclimate to the climate. Cold weather is MUCH less kind...so just be patient. Minor condensation from someone like JNC will go away...it will. Just park facing the sun and he's right...put teflon tape on the base of the led bulb you'll be alright.

I used to think NO condensation was the only way and now I realize, it's a game of give and take. Need patience.
Well, I tried the method you suggested with the blowdryer and teflon tape and when the temperature dropped back came the condensation. At least in the morning when the temperature goes back up the condensation will disappear and when I washed the car today I had no condensation. Well, I will take your advice of "give and take". Sometimes we need to choose our battles wisely. Anyways, thanks for all the time and effort with the research you did. Eddie
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Hey Eddie, you're welcome, man. You're right, honestly...every time I think I have something figured out, along comes the condensation dickslap to show me who's in charge. BUT, like you said, give and take and for the most part, even if I end up getting it, it goes away within an hour of the sun being out.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:45 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Not trying to thread-jack but this seems like a good place to discuss the problem.

My 08 TL-S passenger light just started having condensation issues as well. I had a bit of condensation in the corners (by the DRL) during the humid summer that would come and go. I went through an automatic car wash a few days ago and ended up with a lot of condensation/fogging. Today the car was parked out in the sun (was 8degC) and I used a vacuum to suck out the remaining moisture. I washed the car immediately after and noticed condensation droplets forming in the corner (temp was probably 4degC). I ran the DRL for about 10 min as a test and noticed most of the light fogged up. The driver side was perfect.

Do you think there's an issue with the main seal? Should I crack them open and reseal? The DRL lights seemed very snug.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 12-15-2012, 04:26 PM

I wouldn't man, I think as the weather changes, you'll end up seeing a little condensation here and there. I'm not talking full on water drops and puddles in the lights...but temp transitions like that, I think it's just it's own ecosystem in there...
Old 03-01-2014, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
subscribed
Old 03-02-2014, 11:32 AM

Still going strong!
Old 11-11-2014, 12:55 PM
2nd Gear

Holy... You have the ONLY real solution on the net!!

it's funny, i was thinking mine was dirty too...but MAN, I took special care to clean up before putting it back together. Maybe I'm just staring at it more now because my gf's 08 accord is like that too!

about the condensation, proud to report that my theory was correct. have had plenty of rain and washing the car with NO condensation. Even better than OEM because even originally, I used to get a little.
seriously... Granted it's only been a couple days, but before... After my drive to work on chilly days. Mine would for 1/4 inch up on my Tsx retro on my 04 accord sedan. Blow dryer and hose baby... Hope to give an update during the winter her in upstate NY. Peace
rockstar143 (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 01:00 PM
2nd Gear

I'm addtion

Still going strong!
I have 3oz sicilia gel packets in the rubber cover I got from TRS . But before I did you method. It would still fog a bit... But clear up within an hr. Before I did blow dryer thing, I also drilled two 3/16" inch vacuum plugs with the ends cut off stuffed a bit with a filter sponge for air flow. Fingers crossed. See you guys in ~month
rockstar143 (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 01:25 PM

Do I?

Honestly, I drove myself nuts trying to understand WHERE the damned condensation came from and once I had put my OEM heads in the attic with NO condensation when on the car, and then put them back on without ever opening them, I knew it couldn't be related solely to penetrating water. Had to be built up condensation. To a degree the heads DO have to breath...and it'll take some time for acclimation. Even now, sometimes on the first rain of the year, or cold day, I'll get a slight mist of condensation but I don't even freak, it goes away and eventually it just balances out with the new exterior conditions.

The ONLY time to go nuts and open up and reseal is if during rain you are getting enough wetness that the water collects into drops and run down the front of the lens and you can see it pooling inside. Then you need to reseal. But if you sealed well...the blowdryer thing to get the trapped inside air to as little humidity as possible before putting all your bulbs back in...is a must.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
I need to do this to my passenger headlight asap. I too have opened the lights to black them out and sealed them back up with butyl rubber. I did it all inside last winter and humidity was really low at the time. Did the blow dryer method a while back and it worked like a champ. But this one headlight always fogs up after car wash. Driver side never fogs up (weird). I noticed today when I pulled the fog light that the bulb was pretty loose in there (aftermarket 3k hids installed in the fogs). Gonna do the blow dryer method again and wrap the bulb base in either Teflon or electrical tape. Fingers crossed...hope it'll do the trick. One of my BIGGEST petpieves is having a fogged headlight. Makes the car look absolutely shitty.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:39 PM

Okay, so after RE modding these heads...they now had condensation. Pretty sure I had water get in when I was wetsanding the lenses.

If not, it's from the rain and my trial to seal them up the way I do tails didn't work out.

Fingers Crossed...J.

Anyway, I pointed car at the sun this morning and left the DRL bulb out which cleared up most of it. Got home and finished it off with the blowdryer method.

Name:  20150113_165614_zpsggk23fm0.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  91.4 KB

here...with the blowdryer shooting into my old shopvac reducer taped to a piece of garden hose.
Name:  20150113_165910_zpsbvuyf8nv.jpg
Views: 1183
Size:  69.4 KB

Here you can see the tip just barely penetrating
Name:  20150113_165917_zpsiino5uql.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  104.7 KB

Done
Name:  20150113_171148_zpstx52fmuq.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  78.0 KB
Old 09-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 163 Posts
I know that this thread is quite dated, but I'm glad that I ran across it. I modified a set of headlights a few years ago and will periodically have condensation build-up around the fog light/DRL area. It only happens if I wash my car and spray the nozzle very directly at the headlights for extended time or if I drive in heavy rain. There are not water droplets within the headlight, but a little fogginess that tends to go away within a few hours.

My car is dirty and I will be washing my car within the next few days, so I made this device to see if this will help.

I'll also buy some Teflon tape and wrap a few strands around the fog light bulb. Maybe this will help? It's better than re-opening my headlights I suppose.

Anyone else have any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 09-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,709 Likes on 6,716 Posts
Pop off the headlight off the car , remove all the bulbs and bake it in the oven for a few minutes or leave it in the sun for a few hours to evaporate the remaining water. Then throw a couple packets of silica gel in the housing to keep excess moisture at Bay.
Old 09-25-2019, 06:12 AM

If you're getting a light mist inside it's probably just naturally occurring humidity with these lights...
hot out and spraying the hose on it or driving in the rain might add a tad but unless it's actual water
in there I wouldn't reopen them...maybe just do the teflon on the bulb bases as you said or some rtv
around the sealing edge.
Old 04-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
humid or fungus?

I remember an old photography forum I used to belong to, where a guy got fungus growing inside the lens. Was a tropical country citizen.
It made crap of image quality. Dont remember if anything can be done at that point but send to manufacturer for a cleaning and glass disassmbly that would equal the cost of a new replacement.

I wonder if I dont have that on this junkyard grabbed headlamp assembly.
Most of the time vultures go thru and slash wires and take HID bulbs just as soon as HID based cars come in as far as I can tell... NEVER found an HID in a yard ever, and always some trog has gone in with hack and slash manner ruining the wiring if not even breaking the housing body, that is a part of the assembly.

At any rate I finally did find one to replace the one the stupid deer got all humpy with a year ago last Xmas, when going down the highway at night. I spent a good 6 months with a DIY clear packing tape cover of the hole in the rock guard cover, actually worked well! Wasnt inline of the HID lens either so no light distortion.

$30 yard based beats $500-800 new Canadian from RockAuto I think it was...

But no condensation on rock guard lens of the used unit, but inside only on the HID concave outer lens.
It doesnt go away or change, makes me think a residue from unprotected outdoor yard.
Im betting theres no way of cleaning that right? I see a good dozen sliptabs all around the main housing but if the OEM original I removed post accident is any indication, those wont take even one removal procedure let alone snap back on just once.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by beastUA6
I need to do this to my passenger headlight asap. I too have opened the lights to black them out and sealed them back up with butyl rubber. I did it all inside last winter and humidity was really low at the time. Did the blow dryer method a while back and it worked like a champ. But this one headlight always fogs up after car wash. Driver side never fogs up (weird). I noticed today when I pulled the fog light that the bulb was pretty loose in there (aftermarket 3k hids installed in the fogs). Gonna do the blow dryer method again and wrap the bulb base in either Teflon or electrical tape. Fingers crossed...hope it'll do the trick. One of my BIGGEST petpieves is having a fogged headlight. Makes the car look absolutely shitty.

Ok Im obviously near a decade late to the party I MEAN THE THREAD...
Need to ask/get clear in my head.
When you say you peeled it apart and butyl'd the thing back together...

do you mean you (successfully??) lifted the tabs in the positions indicated in this picture, 1-3 (and ALL THE REST not visible of course), pulled the plastic cover/face off the lens housing, cleaned the lens and glued back together? This wrecked unit, I tried that on a couple tabs for practice; they broke. Will be using this shell for a test how to best carve into it btw.

Up here the housing NEW at dealer is over 1000, I think I checked last year after the deer caused this damage shown.
Rock Auto you can get a sketch chinese after market one for half that price even with USD-CAD currency conversion, I think it was last year.

I didnt wait that long, finally found a drivers side unit at wreckers, obviously it was out in the air a while first, the 'condensation' looks more like the pre accident owned TL owner ignored the problem over the years and there is now a chalky colored precipitate, probably mineral deposits, in the same look and pattern as if it was condensation.

Made series of shots I will start new thread with, asking if anyone tried ALTERNATE entry to clean the lens.
Seems to me there might be a less seal-jeopardizing, less intrusive, less time consuming way than peeling the whole face off, but wont try it until I find out for sure how ppl got in without ruining all those tabs and taking so much time.

I THINK the way Im considering wont a) interfere with the light projecting b) be a smaller area to work on meaning less compromising of the entire shell risking future condensation probs again

Last edited by B Sc; 04-10-2023 at 02:11 PM.
Old 04-10-2023, 02:06 PM
Advanced

[QUOTE=rockstar143;15297894]Okay, so after RE modding these heads...they now had condensation. Pretty sure I had water get in when I was wetsanding the lenses.

If not, it's from the rain and my trial to seal them up the way I do tails didn't work out.

Fingers Crossed...J.

Anyway, I pointed car at the sun this morning and left the DRL bulb out which cleared up most of it. Got home and finished it off with the blowdryer method.

cool part of this is you:
a) dry the OEM installed silica packs at the same time, DOUBLEgood
b) need no cutting, just removal of daytime running light bulb and maybe side light bulb to get pass of air through the whole unit

guessing 10 mins is all it needs?

Last edited by B Sc; 04-10-2023 at 02:12 PM.