Has anyone with a MT TL used the GSP Axles successfully ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Has anyone with a MT TL used the GSP Axles successfully ?

so like many I have the shuddering on acceleration issue. Its not the tires, or a bent rim, or a motor mount. Depite the fact I dont hear any clicking I am going to replace the front axles. I am going to use the GSP ones from advance auto as they seem to be the only one that has one for the MT 04 TL. Aftermarket that is. I am doing this and the Dynamic Damper. Hopefully this will solve the problem, everyone I have taken it to, including the Acura dealer cant seem to find the issue.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
When do you get this shudder? I have a post under this section too and an wondering if my shudder is due to the axles...
Old 11-06-2010, 10:20 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i have the same shudder/vibration under all acceleration conditions through my steering wheel (from a stop, getting on the highway), in addiiton to the dreaded CV click on turns and turn while backing up. got new tires (i needed) and road force balance which uncovered the shutter/vibration. i already had the CV click (only evident when cold).

my dealer said it was a bad inner CV joint for the shudder/vibration (this is from the shop foreman) and the click, we all know is from a bad outer CV joint (which i knew prior to them finding it). he also said don't use aftermarket axles due to quality. many other people have had issues with aftermarket axles. they maybe cheaper, but you pay for what you get. and yes i know this opinion is coming from the dealer guys. i've read other forums for other luxury cars and they tend to agree to go OEM vs aftermarket for the axles. it may cost more, but the parts are less likely to break in the short term and last the life of the car (assuming not abused). hope this helps.

i have an 05 MT with 50K miles.

Last edited by TLtrigirl; 11-06-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Its wheel hop. Don't take off so fast or get some better tires. The problem is that when you have FWD and manual (especially when its raining and your on a slight hill) the tires will spin a little. The vibration you are hearing is the tire spinning and sputtering because it can't catch traction. This can cause problems down the road and lead to cracked/broken axels.

As per after market ones. The only once I know of that WILL be best and take abuse are around $900 for the pair.
Old 11-06-2010, 02:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
which are those?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverJ
I am going to use the GSP ones from advance auto as they seem to be the only one that has one for the MT 04 TL. Aftermarket that is. I am doing this and the Dynamic Damper.
I would be wary of the GSP ones from Advance Auto unless you hear sucess stories otherwise. I got GSP axles for my Accord and immediately after they were installed I had shudder problems on acceleration that I didn't have prior.

Can you get just the dynamic damper from the dealer and install it on aftermarket axles? If so, I might try that on my GSPs before I go back to OEM axles.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:54 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
update

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i have the same shudder/vibration under all acceleration conditions through my steering wheel (from a stop, getting on the highway), in addiiton to the dreaded CV click on turns and turn while backing up. got new tires (i needed) and road force balance which uncovered the shutter/vibration. i already had the CV click (only evident when cold).

my dealer said it was a bad inner CV joint for the shudder/vibration (this is from the shop foreman) and the click, we all know is from a bad outer CV joint (which i knew prior to them finding it). he also said don't use aftermarket axles due to quality. many other people have had issues with aftermarket axles. they maybe cheaper, but you pay for what you get. and yes i know this opinion is coming from the dealer guys. i've read other forums for other luxury cars and they tend to agree to go OEM vs aftermarket for the axles. it may cost more, but the parts are less likely to break in the short term and last the life of the car (assuming not abused). hope this helps.

i have an 05 MT with 50K miles.
well finally got the Lt. and Rt. axles replaced OEM...no more shudder or vibrations from the steering wheel. read my thread on geico MBI coverage...

even the dealer said if you go aftermarket or remanufactured...it'll wear or break way sooner than OEM.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by jerry5150
I would be wary of the GSP ones from Advance Auto unless you hear sucess stories otherwise. I got GSP axles for my Accord and immediately after they were installed I had shudder problems on acceleration that I didn't have prior.

Can you get just the dynamic damper from the dealer and install it on aftermarket axles? If so, I might try that on my GSPs before I go back to OEM axles.
I was going to go with the foreign 'lifetime warranty' $80 AutoZone axles for my CLS-6 a few weeks ago. Then I found a guy in Gainesville FL (Raxles.com) that makes 'aftermarket' axles. Marty is the owner and I liked the idea of these being USA made and, IMHO, did not break the bank like the ridiculously priced OEM axles. He states no 'Chinese' go into his axles. I paid $139.99 per and they looked like a work of art when I received them. lol He requires that the old 'cores' be sent back (he provides the prepaid UPS labels) ASAP to avoid an $80 charge per axle, however. The dynamic damper comes with the axles as well.

This 'aftermarket' supplier is worth a look if one is in need of new quality axles at a reasonable price.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:00 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
He states no 'Chinese' go into his axles.... He requires that the old 'cores' be sent back (he provides the prepaid UPS labels) ASAP to avoid an $80 charge per axle, however.
I've heard of Raxles over on the HT forums as well and would definitely consider trying them out if I pin the acceleration vibration issue on the GSP axles.

For the core though, what does he do if the axles you're swapping out are already aftermarket, since it seems he wants to use OEM cores?
Old 11-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jerry5150
For the core though, what does he do if the axles you're swapping out are already aftermarket, since it seems he wants to use OEM cores?
Good question. I would give him a call: (888) 257-8192 or (800) 257-8192.
I can't speak for him; however, he is real personable and I'm sure he would be open to your inquiries and may be able to help with your acceleration vibration issue.

Good luck!
Old 11-17-2010, 05:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 491 Likes on 233 Posts
I had a interesting convo with a guy who owns a repair shop. He said that axles are no longer rebuilt they are usually new from China. The only axles he uses in his shop are either from NAPA or Carquest.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Richie v6
I had a interesting convo with a guy who owns a repair shop. He said that axles are no longer rebuilt they are usually new from China. The only axles he uses in his shop are either from NAPA or Carquest.
Yeah, I did alot of reading/searching on here and the net and found a 'hit and miss' situation with the local retail type axles. Some people 'swear by them' and get a good result and then 'some swear at them' stating it took a couple of times going back (honoring the lifetime warranty) and replacing them a few times to clear up vibrations/noises that manifested themselves as a result of using them.

The best price for OEM axles at Acura for a CLS-6 that I could find on the net was $595.87 per from Magauto.com. Why these things are so much money is beyond me. Especially, when you look at the price for the TL M/T OEM axles that range between $152.36 and $164.40 on the same website. It's crazy!

As a result, I was able to find the Raxles for the price mentioned above and decided to go with them. I did not want to have anything to do with 'redoing the job again' because of going cheap at the local retail store. I performed all of the labor myself, so in the end it was a no brainer.

Last edited by zeta; 11-17-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
There is another member here with GSP axles on his MT. I installed them on my X a while back they're great. I'm very happy with them.