Got OEM Fogs? Need some help on the wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 06:46 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 373 Likes on 206 Posts
Got OEM Fogs? Need some help on the wiring!

Amongst other things, the foglight install is pending to occur this weekend, although I will be goddamned if the garage has a clear cut description on how this is accomplished. I have found bits and peices of threads, but nothing clear cut.

Anyway, that being said, is there anyone whom has installed their fogs that can help point me what to connect where?

Old 07-09-2010, 07:17 AM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
DUDE!!! Where have u been?? I was going to help u do this, u havent been on messenger ALL week! I am wanting the LED radio panel!

Anyhow get on messenger so i can try n help ya out brotha!
Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL
DUDE!!! Where have u been?? I was going to help u do this, u havent been on messenger ALL week! I am wanting the LED radio panel!

Anyhow get on messenger so i can try n help ya out brotha!
DUDE, I've been on ALL week, where the hell have you been?! ...hit me up!!!!
Old 07-09-2010, 12:10 PM
ScoobyZINE

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
DM..needing help...on...something electrical?!

Wish I knew how to help, cause I admire your work, and I absolutely would! Good luck
Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by AMUA6
DM..needing help...on...something electrical?!

Wish I knew how to help, cause I admire your work, and I absolutely would! Good luck
Haha, I could figure the thing out if I stripped down the harnesses, but there is no sense in reinventing the wheel
Old 07-13-2010, 01:26 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just did lilsid112's fog light install. He directed me to see if I could help out...my thoughts were the same as above, it would have taken me much longer to figure out all the OEM wiring than to just run my own aftermarket relays, especially being that I install audio/electronics for a living. My brain couldn't wrap itself around that OEM harness, but I had the switch and my aftermarket relays figured out in 2 minutes, especially since I was putting HID's in at the same time, so the headlight plugs in the OEM harness would have to go to ballasts instead of the bulbs.

So, I decided first to figure out the switch, and run everything else on my own. The first thing was that Red and Red/black at the switch are not needed. The factory wiring diagrams I have access to say that these go to the interior lights system...whether that means they light up a bulb in the cluster that tells you your fogs or on, or what they do I'm not sure, but the less complicated this install the better.

The blue wire at the switch is the 12volt input to it. So, if you want your fogs to have the ability to come on whenever the key is on, hook this up to an ignition source. If you want them to only be able to come on when the parking lights are turned on, hook blue up to the positive parking lights wire (this is what I did). The switch is still primary, so this doesn't mean the fogs will come on automatically when the key is turned (or parking lights engaged) unless you leave the switch in the engaged position.

The black wire coming out of the switch goes to ground. That only leaves the green coming out of the switch, which is +12v out when you push the actual switch to engage it. Doing this will also light up the little green light on the switch itself.

I ran that green wire to trigger external relays, which sent battery power to the HID ballasts. The bumper was already pulled off, so I mounted the two relays behind it. If you are unfamiliar with relays, heres what I did:

Green wire from the switch went to the #85 spot of BOTH relays.
86: Ground
87: +Battery input
30: +12v output; obviously the 30 from one relay powering one of the lights and the 30 from the other relay powering the other.
If your relays have an 87a terminal, it isn't used.

If you aren't doing HID's and are following what I did, you can still use part of the factory harness that comes in the kit. The two pin plugs with (1)blue/yellow and (1)black wire are good...if I wasn't doing HID's I would have probably used this harness to run over to my relays behind the bumper, and cut this harness to the length I needed at this spot where my relays were. The two blue/yellow wires would go to the two #30 outputs of the relays, and the black wires to ground. But in my case, doing HID's at the same time and having ballast wiring on top of it all (I always run battery power to HID installs because they sometimes pop headlight fuses) it was easier to just run my own wiring and call it a day.

Keep in mind that working at a stereo shop, I had plenty of extra relays, spare wire, connectors, ring terminals, etc on hand. Each relay got a 16 gauge wire going straight to the battery with a fuse in line, a ground wire, a 16 gauge out from each relay to its corresponding light (or ballast), in addition to the wire i ran from the switch's output to the relays. I also used a bunch of wire loom which we had on hand, and of course, the two relays. So, if you are doing this install this way, that gives you a general idea of what you'll need.

Hope that helps someone out.
-Kevin
Old 07-13-2010, 02:12 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

You weren't a member on Maxima.org...were you?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:17 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Holy shit, it is! Small f*cking world, man, lol! It's Metal Maxima from the .org, what's up?!
Old 07-13-2010, 02:31 PM
Advanced

buhahaha you guys also migrated from maximas/maxima.org over to here?

I used to be repping a midnight blue '02 SE w/ ebony interior..
Old 07-13-2010, 03:16 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by Khalil.e
buhahaha you guys also migrated from maximas/maxima.org over to here?

I used to be repping a midnight blue '02 SE w/ ebony interior..
NICE. Make no mistake about it, KEVIN KNOWS HIS SHIT when it comes to audio/electronics. Dunno if he has a TL, though...
Old 07-13-2010, 04:57 PM
ScoobyZINE

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
Haha, I could figure the thing out if I stripped down the harnesses, but there is no sense in reinventing the wheel
I like your way with words, sir. But you'd be perfecting, not reinventing
Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 PM
6th Gear

LOL, small world that there are maxima guys over here, and I hate to burst the bubble, but I am not Metal Maxima. I have this same screen name on every forum I'm on.

I did follow a few of his projects on the .org; I am still on the .org and I was pretty heavy into the audio section over there a couple years back, but a few key members had a serious attitude problem and I haven't checked back in a long time, although I still talk to Don (Pearl96Max, the audio moderator) every so often. There was nothing new about my 5th gen that I needed to gain from the forum in any case, so it was no big loss. Plus, when you do this stuff for a living, you don't feel the need to post all your projects on the forums because they are a daily occurrence which is why I stay pretty low key on most forums, simply posting to help out if I know the answer to a question or whatnot.

Even though I'm still rocking my 5th gen (god knows how many systems I've swapped out in it by now)......having worked on lilsid112's car pretty extensively now and having done a few other fairly serious systems in them through the shop, I will say I do enjoy the TL, both to drive and to work on.

Other than this thread, I doubt I'll be checking this forum too often but if theres anything you guys ever need done in the Tampa area, give me a shout.

kpr10is@hotmail.com
Shop: MCOR Automotive, Lutz FL. (813) 362-5454.
-Kevin
Old 07-13-2010, 08:59 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by kpr10is
LOL, small world that there are maxima guys over here, and I hate to burst the bubble, but I am not Metal Maxima. I have this same screen name on every forum I'm on.

I did follow a few of his projects on the .org; I am still on the .org and I was pretty heavy into the audio section over there a couple years back, but a few key members had a serious attitude problem and I haven't checked back in a long time, although I still talk to Don (Pearl96Max, the audio moderator) every so often. There was nothing new about my 5th gen that I needed to gain from the forum in any case, so it was no big loss. Plus, when you do this stuff for a living, you don't feel the need to post all your projects on the forums because they are a daily occurrence which is why I stay pretty low key on most forums, simply posting to help out if I know the answer to a question or whatnot.

Even though I'm still rocking my 5th gen (god knows how many systems I've swapped out in it by now)......having worked on lilsid112's car pretty extensively now and having done a few other fairly serious systems in them through the shop, I will say I do enjoy the TL, both to drive and to work on.

Other than this thread, I doubt I'll be checking this forum too often but if theres anything you guys ever need done in the Tampa area, give me a shout.

kpr10is@hotmail.com
Shop: MCOR Automotive, Lutz FL. (813) 362-5454.
-Kevin
P.S. I do in fact still know my shit, even though you thought I was someone else
Old 07-13-2010, 09:00 PM
6th Gear

^ obviously still new to this forum, accidentally hit the quote button with that post lol
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Kev...I am (was) Metal Maxima, shit, you bought some Stinger Dream RCAs off me for crying out loud (about 6 years ago, lol).
Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 AM
6th Gear

Holy shit, it is! Small f*cking world, man, lol! It's Metal Maxima from the .org, what's up?!
Wow, I completely misread what you meant by that. lol.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
6th Gear

Rereading this thread, I'm not sure how its possible I misread that badly, lol. I retract the above posts and kindly thank you for the compliment that I 'know my shit.'
Old 07-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Rereading this thread, I'm not sure how its possible I misread that badly, lol. I retract the above posts and kindly thank you for the compliment that I 'know my shit.'
Haha, your mind must have been elsewhere. Yeah, you, Don, and Manny were on such a completely different level back in the day. I hope all is well.

I'm going to wire this up tomorrow, hopefully your guide will get this done!
Old 07-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Worked perfectly. Thanks!!!

POI: On the TL, the illumination wire supplying power to the lights in panels is almost ALWAYS red w/ a black stripe and silver banding...for whatever reason, that light will NOT illuminate the button; you will need to pat a separate lead for the button itself to light.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:37 PM
ScoobyZINE

POI: On the TL, the illumination wire supplying power to the lights in panels is almost ALWAYS red w/ a black stripe and silver banding...for whatever reason, that light will NOT illuminate the button; you will need to pat a separate lead for the button itself to light.
Hmm.. I see.. that's exactly what I was thinking except to pat the lead into the flux, solder four trinkets onto the lead, reroute the hosting imagers to the capacitor and voila!
Old 08-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BUMP! guys we were trying to install my ebay accord fogs into my 06 3g and ran into wiring issues. i dont have a pic of my harness that i got but we have 2 relays and dont really know what to do with them and how it goes...Can some one draw out a diagram of how to do the wiring and if not anyone know where to get another set of wiring harness and a new oem switch. the one i got doesnt really sit flush at all.

thanks guys
Old 08-04-2010, 08:11 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

It's so goddamn easy, now...check it:

SWITCH: Blue to power source (switched, constant, whatever), black to ground, green routes through firewall

FOGS: Green connects through firewall to green, black to ground, then I think it's just the blue/red gets a fused connection to the battery.

Easy squeezy
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's so goddamn easy, now...check it:

SWITCH: Blue to power source (switched, constant, whatever), black to ground, green routes through firewall

FOGS: Green connects through firewall to green, black to ground, then I think it's just the blue/red gets a fused connection to the battery.

Easy squeezy
so im guessing that some of the wires are not used>?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Originally Posted by HokAy
so im guessing that some of the wires are not used>?
Yeah, a whole boatload of them are not used for anything.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:44 AM
Registered Nutsack

Haha, I remember when I wired up my fogs...I had the OEM fog harness and an aftermarket one from Ebay from an accord kit. I stripped the entire OEM harness down and it still confused the hell out of me. So I said screw it and used the ebay one and had it installed within 15mins. Works like a charm.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
anyone know how to hook up the fog lights so we can run them whenever by their selves, instead of only running when the headlights are on.

07 type s
Old 08-16-2010, 06:55 AM
Fearless DIY Guy

Just tap the blue wire into a constant source.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 AM
Cruisin'

Wire like you show on your installation pictures...

Where I can get the wire with connector like you show on the installation pictures?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by pas1lus
Where I can get the wire with connector like you show on the installation pictures?
Weaving the wires for 20 minutes it probably the hardest part. When I do this I can wire up accord switches for a simple plug and play. My price includes instructions/extra wire to run through the firewall/every wire rewrapped where it was spliced/inline fuse for the contact power with fuse provided etc.

I also sell OEM accord kits..I can wire them up as well before I send them out..
Old 08-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Cruisin'

ok...question...

See the that link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180939151974...84.m1497.l2649

I just bought this on ebay and what I want is the wire from that button thru to the fog light at bottom front bumper.

- Could you do this for me?
- Do you ship to Quebec, Canada?
- How it cost to me with the shipping?
- Could I pay by PayPal?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Former Sponsor

See the that link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180939151974...84.m1497.l2649

I just bought this on ebay and what I want is the wire from that button thru to the fog light at bottom front bumper.

- Could you do this for me?
- Do you ship to Quebec, Canada?
- How it cost to me with the shipping?
- Could I pay by PayPal?

Thats a civic button, not accord so the accord switches I believe won't fit/line up..

I can get you the fog wiring harness/switch and switch harness (everything needed) without fog lights as well...
Old 08-28-2012, 03:29 AM
Cruisin'

ok...

Give me a price for all kit with shipping...I live at Granby, Quebec, Canada and my postal code is J2J 2S2 (to help you with the shipping)

Thanks
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Former Sponsor

Give me a price for all kit with shipping...I live at Granby, Quebec, Canada and my postal code is J2J 2S2 (to help you with the shipping)

Thanks

Pm'd.