Got my TL Home, some problems.

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts
Got my TL Home, some problems.

Well I got home last night with my TL. I rented a car here in Memphis and drove to Killeen, TX to purchase the car
https://acurazine.com/forums/member-cars-sale-49/2004-am-acura-tl-%2412-500-location-austin-tx-744952/. I left thursday and drove back friday, 1300 miles round trip. We talked and knew of minor paint probs and center vent missing some blades. Before i left friday i had it inspected by Auto P.I. from Austin, TX(great guys). I am very happy with the overall appearance and the way it runs and handles. It does have some things that need attention and that is why I am Here. I am doing all the work myself and will be buying the Helm Manuals. So here is a list of problems with questions. I will research myself, but if you have link or suggestions, that would be reatly Appreciated.

Center vent missing blades- I found vents on Ebay. Mine is non-navi, is there anything to look out for here other than not buying one for navi? Is it an easy install?

Front passenger door lock does not work. I tried pass. door button, driver button and remote, nothing. Door lock actuator probily the problem. Should be easy to replace, where to buy the actuator?

Front Passenger Window rolls down but will not roll up correctly. It goes up a few inches then back down, even if i pull on it it will go half way up, i let go, it goes back down a few inches but not all the way down. I have to pull on it until it gets close to top and let go and it will go on up. Both switches do the samething. I do not think it is switches, maybe regulator?

Center brake light out. Is there LEDs for this? Where do you guys buy LEDs for this and the interior LED conversion?

Which manuals to buy from Helm(or other company) they list several ones. I would like to have electrical and full bumper to bumper repair manual.

HVAC control. Doing this from memory. Inspector said that the controls work but you have to go from one temp extreme to the other. Certain degree temp to get cold air and certain degree temp to heat, nothing in between. He said maybe an inside thermostat not working or something in the controls. If i need to do some more testing to explain this let me know, I will do whatever.

My first mods on any car is to allow the car to breathe. So I will get a CAI(will research) then maybe the spacers. Next is exhaust. I live in the county and not city limits so I do not have inspections. I have a GREAT exhaust guy that will do most work. I do not have to have CATS and resonators. So my concerns are I want an exhaust that resenbles as closely as possible to a V8 with mild cam. One video on youtube(ATLP comparison with base vs Quads) there are two TLs one black and one grey, I like the black one. I am not worried about stainless and looks under car, my exhaust man will do aluminized pipe. What combo will work? J-pipe and race pipe and what else to remove or replace?

What plug wires and plugs are people using? What about the oil and fuel filters?

Sorry for long post but want to start taking care of TL
Old 12-05-2009, 10:56 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
welcome and congrats on your purchase
A glass replacement shop that works with a junkyard will be a good start on fixing all the window problems

Read the thread titles list for most subjects and the Garage has the DIYs for everything- dont need a helms for most things
We dont have plug wires- 6 coils on 6 plugs
use only NGK Iridium plugs

there is a a dead zone in the auto temp around 70, have to go up or down 2 to make it work right--see owner book

register with acura and ask if the recalls all taken care of 1-800-328-2238x5

have fun with your new baby!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
use 91 octane fuel ONLY- suggested to use Tier1 quality- thats most name brand stations

oil filter- K&N and Mobil1 very good-12 bucks

the fuel filter is a sock on the pump in the tank- run good fuel cleaner now and then- no replacement
Old 12-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
Center vents---easy replacement. Remove the trim strips, take a flat head screwdriver wrapped in a MF towel and jam it upwards to pop the panel off.
LEDs--depends on what you need to replace. 3rd brake--check dealer or junkyard for replacement. If you want to take it apart and replace yourself, check Oznium.com for bulbs. For other interior loghts, check v-leds.com--coupon code ACURAZINE gets you 15% off.
Congrats on the new ride!
Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hofiveo
Front Passenger Window rolls down but will not roll up correctly. It goes up a few inches then back down, even if i pull on it it will go half way up, i let go, it goes back down a few inches but not all the way down. I have to pull on it until it gets close to top and let go and it will go on up. Both switches do the samething. I do not think it is switches, maybe regulator?
The window will refuse to roll up all the way if it thinks there is something in the way, to avoid crushing your fingers. Maybe a good cleaning will fix it.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:57 PM
Instructor

Hey guys, Thanks for the Congrats and Welcomes. I ordered the center vent from ebay and the door lock actuator from acuraoemparts.com. Has anyone found led light for high mount stop light. oznium.com has one for 194 size, is that right size or ours? Thanks for the quick replies and all of your help!
Old 12-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Congrats and welcome!

The center vent panel assembly was a bitch to get off for me. I made my own special tool out of a metal shish kabob scewer by cutting off the tip and bending the end to a "J" hook. You really have to yank to pop the clips.

Your window problem may be a faulty regulator. There is an active thread in on this issue in the Problems section. I think the part is about $130, labor about $220.

Your temp control problem could be a bad interior thermostat, but I'd run an HVAC diagnostic test first. (The thermostat is easy to replace, only costs about $30).

If you get a code, post it here and I'll post up the applicable troubleshooting page/s.

FYI, Helminc.com has the manuals on sale right now for 2004 TLs. The service manual is now only $45. I also highly recommend buying the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual (ETM) for $47.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:55 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Window problem thread
Old 12-05-2009, 08:07 PM
Instructor

Thanks for all that info. The window regulator is what I decided to after reading some. The test for HVAC is great info. Will be ordering manuals right no .
Old 12-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Instructor

HVAC test came out clean. I guess he did not know how to work it. I have yet to read owners manual, so that is top priority. Set up Homelink and bluetooth and keylees control and memory seats. Work that will be enjoyed, taking care of my NEW BABY!