Gears not Engaging!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 07:06 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy Gears not Engaging!

Ok so i have looked ALL over and have yet to come across a solution to my problem online. Forgive me if i overlooked the forum, if it exists!

Vehicle : 2006 Acura TL Auto-transmission

So yesterday i am driving home from work nothing out of the ordinary, when i am on the freeway going about 75mph. All of a sudden i hear a whining sound from the motor, naturally i pulled to the shoulder thinking it was a wheel well or something that got caught loose and was getting ripped to shreds. As soon as i got out the car i noticed it was nothing cosmetic that was causing the noise so i got back in the car and what do you know.... i have the car in DRIVE ... BUT, it wont go forward. I put it back in Park restart the vehicle, and put it into DRIVE. Once again, it wont move forward. i'm starting to think that this is a bigger issue than i am thinking it is. So this is where i am at ....

I am going from a 2006 Acura TL with NO motor or tranny issues in the past AT ALL from just one day NOT GOING INTO GEAR AT ALL.... I am at a loss for words because it just took me by surprise. I have had NO prior issues with the vehicle or the transmission. The most recent repair that i did was replacing the power steering pump on the vehicle because i had a bad leak coming from that area. Now, i do think that i had another leak somewhere along the steering line because i was still getting bubbles inside my Reservoir PS fluid. However, the only other thing i can think of is when i turned the wheel it would give me a slight squealing noise. I was going to look more into in the next day or so. But this couldn't have anything to do with the gears could it? It would only whine while in first gear and just barely taking off from a parking lot of where ever i am be if i had to turn the wheel slightly or something. But other than that, i just thought it was a power-steering issues that could be handled in a day or so.

As far a the car not going into gear I CANNOT explain it. it makes no sense. I mean the gear box where my AT gears are switched, was AT TIMES, hard to put into PARK, because i think the gummy candy that was once logged into those folds of the center console may have given it those issues. It was hard sometimes to put it into Park like as if it had to struggle going all the way up to PARK because lately i have noticed when i park at home i go to take my keys out of the ignition and i cant because its NOT ALL THE WAY IN PARK. aLMOST LIKE I HAVE TO SHOVE IT INTO PARK A LITTLE BIT TO GET THE KEYS OUT.

Can anyone help me out on this issue? i really don't know where to start!

fyi : I have never swapped tranny fluid out.

Never had tranny issues.

and once in a while, when i floor it, it will have a slight hesitation before it actually takes off. not a big deal but noticeable.

THANK YOU AZINERS! I HOPE IT IS NOT AS BAD AS IT SOUNDS. Any input is appreciated!
Old 04-25-2017, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Why haven't you replaced your fluid?
Old 04-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Always a couple of different possibilities....

1.) MOST LIKELY - Transmission is toast due to lack of maintenance.
-- check your fluid levels
-- check your fluid condition

2.) LESS LIKELY - Your difficult to use shifter is causing more issues
-- take the center console apart and clean things out
-- I feel this is less likely the culprit since you said there were odd noises just before failure
Old 04-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Gears.

That's a good question. I guess i was always told that if the transmission fluid has not been changed then to leave it how it is... Because once it is changed then it could cause issues. <-------Dont know what that means exactly..... but yes i should have changed it.

well the noises was from the power steering for sure. Only happened when I turned. The wheel at a stop.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...2006-a-729149/

would be the first thing I'd do!
Old 04-25-2017, 12:41 PM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by njresendez
That's a good question. I guess i was always told that if the transmission fluid has not been changed then to leave it how it is... Because once it is changed then it could cause issues. <-------Dont know what that means exactly..... but yes i should have changed it.
Old, outdated, and very mis-informed is what it is. I grew up getting the same advice as well. Everything I have learned over the past 10-15 years is most automatic transmissions will last much longer and perform much better when having their fluid changed on a somewhat regular basis. Most of the cars I had in my younger years, the transmissions were lucky to make it to 80k or 100k miles in the first place...so the need to change the fluid wasn't as pressing. I haven't owned an auto myself since 1996. However my wife has....and we generally have gotten the fluid changed on her cars roughly every 3 years or 50k miles....roughly is the key word. Trying to remember...but there is a good chance we never once changed the fluid in her GrandAm and it was running strong when we sold it with 186k miles on it. No matter, Honda autos are not known to put up with that type of neglect.

Sorry....missed the part that the noise you heard when pulling over was the power steering...I read it that was just something else going on. That is what I get for attempting to multi-task work and my morning web browsing. :razz:

I am assuming there is no noise or movement at all when putting it in Reverse or Drive correct? Is the dash light changing/matching the shifter position? I do not know how many, if any, electrical connections/features there are in the console portion of the shifter assembly.

Before even touching the transmission pressure switches (you will want to deal with those later for sure...but right now lets gather more info)...check your fluid level/condition. That will usually tell you a lot about the transmission condition. So far, not sure if it is a mechanical or electrical issue with the limited info.
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (04-25-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 07:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
I highly recommend you change the fluid asap (drain and fill) DO NOT flush the AT.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:17 AM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Clean out your gummy bear shifter and then we can confirm the bad news about your transmission.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:42 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Clean out the center console and look into replacing the trans filter along with new fluid. If you are hearing a whine that's an indication that the trans may have been starved of fluid and damaged internal components.