The fun times with my noise making 6-speed transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2021, 12:22 AM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

Received 187 Likes on 147 Posts
Sorry for the wait... Car is running! Goes into 1-6 smooth as hell. Driving and shifting is great. No issues there. My only issue now is car does not want to go into reverse all the time even with car off or on. I feel like the car has to be slightly rolling for the shifter to go into reverse. Thinking about it, i think i had this same problem before 3rd gear went out 3+ years ago... I performed a visual on the gear while the tranny was open but i didn't see anything and i didn't really dig deep into it since i honestly forget about it.... Took it out for a spin tonight. 3 piece U-turn was out the question.... I confirmed its not the lockout. I can move the shifter all the way to the right when off or idle. when moving, i cannot. Any ideas? Synchro? shifter arm? Is there a big enough hole anywhere so i could maybe stick an inspection camera into? i've looked at all the pictures and cannot see much... i really dont want to remove and open the transmission up again... If i have to, i think i might just pull the motor out from the top. Removing the subframe and everything sucks when working on the floor. If i had a lift, maybe it'll be different.
Old 10-09-2021, 10:44 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

No suggestions from anyone?
Old 10-16-2021, 08:08 AM
Transmission Pro

Received 87 Likes on 59 Posts
Take it apart and look at it.
Old 10-18-2021, 01:21 PM
Chapter Leader (NY/NJ)

so playing around with it, if the car rolls back a bit, the car will go into reverse... Also if I turn off the car and go from 1st or 2nd to reverse, it'll work
Old 07-11-2024, 03:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to say thank you! Recently was driving (not hard) and suddenly got a very similar noise to yours whenever I go into 2nd gear. No other gears make noise and have never had an issue like this. I have been searching YouTube for videos that sound like what I'm hearing and haven't found anything, while your videos sound just like mine. I did a fluid change last weekend and had some silver bits in the drain pan. Been debating on what to do, whether to take the car in somewhere and pay a couple grand or so, or look into a replacement transmission. This write-up, with part numbers and lots of photos, give me some hope. I have done major work like this on other cars before, but not my TL yet. My biggest concern honestly was dealing with supporting the engine while dropping the cradle. I might give this a shot on my own, as I do have a backup car I can drive. So thanks!
The following users liked this post:
InFaMouSLink (07-31-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 598 Likes on 443 Posts
Originally Posted by montero65
My biggest concern honestly was dealing with supporting the engine while dropping the cradle.
There is no need to drop the subframe to remove/replace the trans. Drain trans, pull axles, int shaft, drain coolant, incl block rear drain, remove batt, remove water inlet outlet pipes, clutch and fw, then the trans can clear going up the side of the motor.

Last edited by 619rcr; 07-12-2024 at 02:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 619rcr:
Legend2TL (08-08-2024), montero65 (07-15-2024), zeta (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 05:03 PM
Transmission Pro

Originally Posted by 619rcr
There is no need to drop the subframe to remove/replace the trans. Drain trans, pull axles, int shaft, drain coolant, incl block rear drain, remove batt, remove water inlet outlet pipes, clutch and fw, then the trans can clear going up the side of the motor.
I didn't know this was possible!
Old 07-12-2024, 05:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,465 Posts
Sounds like a semi-'hybrid' version of the 'brotha' method, only bringing things out the top of the engine bay?
Acura TL Builder (07-15-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

And yes, the grease covered sub-frame is still in.
Reference posts 5 & 10:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-p...-swap-1001141/
The following 5 users liked this post by 619rcr:
Acura TL Builder (07-15-2024), Legend2TL (07-30-2024), montero65 (07-15-2024), srg818 (07-22-2024), zeta (07-12-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 05:51 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys! First post here, I’ll try not to embarrass myself too much lol.

I’ve been a big Honda and Acura fan all my life, reaching out today on this thread since my little baby, 08 Type-S has similar issues with the manual transmission. 2nd gear has « given up ».

I’m an enthusiast, by no means a mechanic and I thought I’d reach out in here, last summer I called about 10 transmission shops in Quebec, only two touched manuals and when I mentioned I had the 3.5, they both « good luck » lol.

It’s my second car and I’m lacking time and space to take care of this, was wondering if anyone in here had any recommendation as far as repair shops in Quebec or maybe even Ontario, or else I thought I was going to list the car on an auction - with full disclosure.

I love it, doesn’t get out in the winter and has 145,000km on it. If anyone has any recommendations I’d be grateful

montero65 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 09:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dhammer6788
reaching out today on this thread since my little baby, 08 Type-S has similar issues with the manual transmission. 2nd gear has « given up ».

I’m an enthusiast, by no means a mechanic and I thought I’d reach out in here, last summer I called about 10 transmission shops in Quebec, only two touched manuals and when I mentioned I had the 3.5, they both « good luck » lol.

It’s my second car and I’m lacking time and space to take care of this, was wondering if anyone in here had any recommendation as far as repair shops in Quebec or maybe even Ontario, or else I thought I was going to list the car on an auction - with full disclosure.
Not repair shops, but car-part has a few TLS trans posted FS:
The following 2 users liked this post by 619rcr:
dhammer6788 (07-30-2024), montero65 (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 11:02 AM
Cruisin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by dhammer6788
Hey guys! First post here, I’ll try not to embarrass myself too much lol.

I’ve been a big Honda and Acura fan all my life, reaching out today on this thread since my little baby, 08 Type-S has similar issues with the manual transmission. 2nd gear has « given up ».
I can tell you what I've found so far just looking at potential part costs for mine (2nd gear issue), and you're not going to like it. I haven't even opened mine up yet, but I have been trying to estimate costs based on the parts list from @InFaMouSLink . The gear set for 2nd gear countershaft is about $780 (InFaMouSLink lists the gear set for 3rd was about $350 for the main shaft and another $100 for the countershaft gear). On the main shaft, as best I can tell looking through the online stores and the service manual, 2nd gear is part of the main shaft itself, so that could mean replacing the entire main shaft at another $320. So not even getting to bearings, seals, washers, o-rings, and fasteners, may already be looking at over $1,100 in parts (plus shipping).

Main shaft, 2nd gear highlighted

Counter shaft, 2nd gear set highlighted

I actually did the car-part search and found the same transmissions listed that @619rcr posted above. Surprised how many were in Ontario. Not super excited about those costs or having to drive 200+ miles to get a transmission, but realizing my costs to repair it myself could easily reach $1,300, I'm considering this as a possible option instead.

dhammer6788 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 02:32 PM
Transmission Pro

PM sent
dhammer6788 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-30-2024, 06:03 PM
3rd Gear

Gentlemen thanks so much for all the details, I should have come here before.

In 7 years of having it I only needed to change the timing belt and water pump and oil (and air filters etc, ofc), I’m so bummed about this lol.

if it’s not in my hands I believe this one could be a long term collector’s
Old 07-30-2024, 06:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bense
PM sent

I feel like a noob - I can’t find your PM lol, maybe since I’m under the 5 posts / 15 days rule?
Old 07-30-2024, 06:14 PM
Transmission Pro

I sent a PM to the wrong person lol.

Last edited by Bense; 07-30-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2024, 08:38 PM
Transmission Pro

The 2007-2008 TL-S 6MT was basically Honda's last hurrah of the 3g TL, 7g Accord V6 that Acura sold during the overlap years of 7g and 8g Accord.

​​​​​​Transmissions have become more specialized. Mechanics , technicians at the Honda / Acura dealerships are (understandably) less compelled to go through the training to work on transmissions when it's something that they rarely will do, or even have the opportunity to do. There's just not that many manual transmission vehicles.

This has lead to the scenario where the convention of addressing transmission issues entails replacing the entire transmission with a salvage transmission. But the problem with that is that there's only two years that TL-S 6MT were even offered. That combined with the face that it's been 16-17 years since one of these vehicles rolled off the assembly line.

So then it becomes a scenario of trying to find a shop that will work on these transmissions, or to DIY.

The problem with that is that if you do find a transmission shop, unless they're already specializing in these particular transmissions, they're going to be limited to the information that Honda / Acura has already published about these transmissions.

When I took my project on, I didn't pursue it for the purpose of keeping Hondas on the road. I chose to pursue it because I was depressed and I needed something to work on to escape from the crap that was going on in my personal life at the time. During that time, it was an opportunity that presented itself.

Most of the active transmission builders on Instagram focus on transmissions for vehicles that people are okay with spending money on. Older Hondas. B series. K series.

Those vehicles do not require subframes to be removed to swap a transmission. Pulling a transmission off of those vehicles entails mostly removing axles, mounts, cables/linkage. A scissor jack with blocks of wood under the oil pan is usually sufficient holding those engines up.

​​​

​​​​
montero65 (08-02-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 11:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bense
​​​​​​Transmissions have become more specialized. Mechanics , technicians at the Honda / Acura dealerships are (understandably) less compelled to go through the training to work on transmissions when it's something that they rarely will do, or even have the opportunity to do. There's just not that many manual transmission vehicles.

This has lead to the scenario where the convention of addressing transmission issues entails replacing the entire transmission with a salvage transmission. But the problem with that is that there's only two years that TL-S 6MT were even offered. That combined with the face that it's been 16-17 years since one of these vehicles rolled off the assembly line.

So then it becomes a scenario of trying to find a shop that will work on these transmissions, or to DIY.

The problem with that is that if you do find a transmission shop, unless they're already specializing in these particular transmissions, they're going to be limited to the information that Honda / Acura has already published about these transmissions.
Most of the active transmission builders on Instagram focus on transmissions for vehicles that people are okay with spending money on. Older Hondas. B series. K series.

Those vehicles do not require subframes to be removed to swap a transmission. Pulling a transmission off of those vehicles entails mostly removing axles, mounts, cables/linkage. A scissor jack with blocks of wood under the oil pan is usually sufficient holding those engines up.
Seemed like there was a point this was leading to. Also, thought I already covered the subframe removal thing.

Lastly, with the EPA's push for increased miles per gallon and reduced emissions it's no surprise that evs, cvts and double digit speed auto trans are steadily taking over. Which in turn reduces # of manual transmissions in need of service and less techs with hands on experience.

Question: Is this foreshadowing what could become a lost art? #save the manuals