Front Passenger's weight sensors malfunction!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 08:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Front Passenger's weight sensors malfunction!?!?!?

Hi everyone, I need some help…
Today I noticed that my “Passenger Airbag Off” would come on even without a passenger in the car…the manual reads that if no passenger is on the seat this light shouldn’t come on. So I had my wife get in the passenger seat turned on the car, light came on and went off, I had her move around and lift off the seat and the light wouldn’t come on or off. I found this very weird, so I took a drive and told her not to fasten the seat belt, and the seat belt warning didn’t come on. Does this mean the weight sensors are malfunctioning!?!? I did a search and found a few threads about the sensor by the CAI filter, but I don’t think that is the problem.
Has anyone experienced this before!?!??! Any info you guys can provide on this subject is greatly appreciated.
I may have to take it to the stealership
Old 08-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
If you have something on the seat- like a backpack or bucket of kfc- that will trigger the sensor- its looking for load on the seatback when load on seat bottem
Light will come on if passenger leans forward- if airbag triggered they would be toast that close to the dash

If not those things then needs ASAP trip to dealer for warranty repair, all that safety stuff has big warranty for a reason!!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Racer

Thank you 01tl4tl,

I don't have anything on the seat, I checked under the seat and made sure nothing was obstructing the weight sensors as per the owners manual........and when I went for a drive and told my wife not to put her seat belt on and it didn't display a "Fasten Seatbelt" warning it made me very concerned. I took a ride without my seat belt on and 30 seconds later it started beeping at me.....God forbid something would of happen and the bag didn't deploy.
I'm going to make an appointment at the dealer tomorrow and telling them they need to look at it ASAP..... and they better not pull the "You have a CAI, there's your problem" crap, because (correct me if I'm wrong) but according to the diagram on the book those sensors are NO where close to the CAI.........I'm so PISSED.........
Old 08-01-2007, 08:40 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At startup the light should come on for about 7 seconds of so then go off which is normal operation. Here is how the system works the side airbag system includes an occupant position detection system (OPDS). This system consists of sensors (G) and a OPDS/ODS unit (H) in the front passenger's seat-back. The OPDS/ODS unit sends occupant height and position data to the SRS unit. If the OPDS/ODS unit determines that the front passenger is of small stature (for example, a child) or the front passenger is leaning into the side airbag deployment path, the SRS unit will automatically disable the passenger's side airbag. The SRS unit will also disable the airbag when the OPDS detects certain objects on the seat. When the side airbag is disabled, the side airbag cutoff indicator on the instrument panel alerts the driver that the passenger's side airbag will not deploy in a side impact. When the object is removed, or the passenger sits upright, the side airbag cutoff indicator will go off after a few seconds, alerting the driver that the passenger's side airbag will deploy in a side impact. Not really sure if the sensors are malfunctioning or not you could probably test this by placing a small object with little weight on the seat and see if the system detects the object and turn on the side airbag light off light!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
Racer

Trust me I've spent all night testing this, after I turned on the car, the initial front passenger airbag light went on for a few seconds and then went off, then I had my wife sit move around and leave the car and the light never came on and off during all of this. I also took a drive with her and having her not wearing the seat belt, the seat belt warning didn't come on.....which the only explanation would be the sensor isn't registering a passenger.....if I have to pay for this shit I'm going to sell the f@cking car.....this is a major safety hazard....I pray to god I have some little shit head tech telling me otherwise.....
Sorry I'm a little peeved that I had my wife in the car and she wasn't protected by the "high tech safety system" for who knows how long....
Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

If the weight sitting in the seat is under 65lbs this should turn the passenger airbag off. I would definitely go and have this checked out could be a bad opds unit or seat back sensors. Good luck!
Old 08-01-2007, 09:20 PM
Racer

Thanks Xx06SickspdTlxX ... My wife is 5'11" 120 lbs, I think it would set it off....

I've done a thorough search, and I couldn't find anything on the forum about a problem like this. I even read the whole owners manual, and all it reads is to make sure the rear passenger mat is looped through the hook under the seat because this may affect the sensors.....

I was wondering if anyone on here has experienced this, or maybe they aren't aware of it....which would be very bad for their passengers......
Old 08-01-2007, 09:31 PM
Team Owner

the gen 2 cars get a special 10 year 150k mile warranty extension on the OPDS and some other related parts- so there has been a problem- the dealer knows there is a problem and they warranty fix them- its a usa safety admin thing- dont worry

And take a read of the owner manual- available free if you dont have the real book
Old 08-02-2007, 01:38 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by leopwr
Trust me I've spent all night testing this, after I turned on the car, the initial front passenger airbag light went on for a few seconds and then went off, then I had my wife sit move around and leave the car and the light never came on and off during all of this. I also took a drive with her and having her not wearing the seat belt, the seat belt warning didn't come on.....which the only explanation would be the sensor isn't registering a passenger.....if I have to pay for this shit I'm going to sell the f@cking car.....this is a major safety hazard....I pray to god I have some little shit head tech telling me otherwise.....
Sorry I'm a little peeved that I had my wife in the car and she wasn't protected by the "high tech safety system" for who knows how long....

dude... the seat belt warning doesn't come on for the passenger.. it's only for the driver....
Old 08-02-2007, 07:35 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mr_clean
dude... the seat belt warning doesn't come on for the passenger.. it's only for the driver....

I don't think so, the manual states that the driver or the passanger (if a passanger is on the front seat) seat belt warning will come on.

I had a buddy in my car a month ago and he didn't put on his seat belt and the warning came on........

Thank you to all who have replied, I'm making an appointment today...... Should I put back my stock air intake, just in case??
Old 08-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by leopwr
Should I put back my stock air intake, just in case??
Anyone!?!?
Old 08-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Team Owner

Only if you think its the cause of the problem

Dont have to change it when trans goes out--so why bother
Old 08-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
Only if you think its the cause of the problem

Dont have to change it when trans goes out--so why bother
AWESOME, thanks for all your help!

I had my car serviced a month ago, and they did the full "system inspection" and charged me some good money and didn't find anything.......so I will use that as an arguing point.........if they try to say it was because I installed the CAI.....

I have an appointment at 8 AM and will post what the findings were........just incase anyone else is going through this
Old 08-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Team Owner

full system inspection hahhahahha

lets see, nothing leakin here or fallin off thar, tires look good-
ok next car please- no money to make off this one!
Old 08-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
full system inspection hahhahahha

lets see, nothing leakin here or fallin off thar, tires look good-
ok next car please- no money to make off this one!

They got 180 bucks off of me for doing exactly that....so they made some money...LOL.....at least I know for sure they rotated the tires.....cause of a little curb rash on my front wheel was changed to the back......
Old 08-02-2007, 12:33 PM
Team Owner

and here we all thought a dab of paint or secret marker to make sure they rotated the tires-

just curb rash one- now THAT explains the wifes driving
Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Racer

Lol
Old 08-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ITs normal operation. I dont want to explain a whole detail. Dealer will let you know. but nothing wrong with your airbag system. If it does, your dash will tell you. If you want to understand it , Im me in aim, vinha916. i will help you understand. I do this thing everyday for dealership. I have their factory scan tool too.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Racer

Thanks vinha916

I tried PM'ng you but it wouldn't let me.....

but my passenger seat belt warning didn't come on, and it says in the manual that the light above the hazard button shouldn't come on if there is no weight on the seat
Old 08-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Racer

do you have AIM? msg me there or yahoo? does it turn on all the time? if it just turn on and off then you are ok. my big concern is. Does your airbag light stay on? if not , dont worry bout it. I explain to alot custumer with the same problem that you have, some get it , some takes forever. somehow, i cant PM ...weird
Old 08-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Racer

First....Thank you for helping me with this....

I don't have instant messaging....

And I think you can only PM after 20 or so posts....

the light comes on when I turn my car on....and then it goes off.....if I have a passenger....and the passenger leaves or moves in the seat nothing happens after that.... so I'm worried that the sensors on not registering that I have a passenger with me in the car.....
Old 08-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Racer

ok, when you start the car it will turn and then turn off. IT try to itiallize the seat weight sensor. NORMal
when passenger move around. say, leaning to the far left or far right then light will come on that is where the OPDS kick in. let you know that passenger shouldnt do that so passenger go back to correct possition. But it allow you to move around. NORMal.
IT IS NORMAL in every single HONda and Acura. Everything is working normal, if not your airbag light would come on already.

(and the passenger leaves or moves in the seat nothing happens after that.... so I'm worried that the sensors on not registering that I have a passenger with me in the car..... )<<< you want your car to be a DISco plattform? J/k hope you understand bro.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vinha916
when passenger move around. say, leaning to the far left or far right then light will come on that is where the OPDS kick in. let you know that passenger shouldnt do that so passenger go back to correct possition. .
That's the problem I have.....the light doesn't come on when the weight is shifted.....nothing happens when weight is added or subtracted from the seat......and the seat belt WARNING for the passenger does not come on.....hence it does not detect a passenger........
Old 08-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Racer

yes it does. answer my question. how you know the weight in the car? even you add 1000lbs or a 1lbs. it is the same. there is no indicator telling you that. how you know it is not working? call me 703 930 5685 , i will answer you.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Racer

easy there killer....

I did answer your question.....

if you had read my post.... I mentioned that I took a ride with a passenger in the car for a couple of blocks without my passenger putting the seat belt on... with that being said, I've never been in a car with sophisticated safety systems (front and side airbags) that have never warned you of a passenger not having their seat belt on.......
Old 08-02-2007, 08:29 PM
Racer

i am trying to help you brother. i have read your post, and i do this thing everyday. it is job brother. so dont worry bout it. if not, take it to dealer , they might explain to you better. cuz you neeed to understand the any way?!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:30 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

The opds system is designed to detect how much weight is occupying the passenger seat, if it is 65lbs or less the system will automatically shut off the passenger airbag and the passenger airbag off light should indicate this. He is trying to question if the opds system is operating properly or not, and if there is a passenger over 65lbs will the airbag deploy or not? Take it to the dealer and have them test the system with the HDS, i would definitely take no chances for my passengers safety!
Old 08-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by vinha916
i am trying to help you brother. i have read your post, and i do this thing everyday. it is job brother. so dont worry bout it. if not, take it to dealer , they might explain to you better. cuz you neeed to understand the any way?!
Don't get me wrong, I really do appreciate the help and imput, so Thank you!
But I don't think you understand my situation or my questions, you go back and forth on "the light should come on....the light shouldn't come on" it's hard for me to understand your explanation.

Xx06SickspdTlxX, thank you that's exactly what I meant
I'm in no way taking any chances and I have an appointment at the dealership tomorrow morning at 8.... and if there is nothing wrong.. ..GREAT but at least I'll know for sure and I'm not chancing and risking my passangers safety....

I will post the outcome....
Old 08-02-2007, 10:30 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Sounds like it's working right. The light will only come on if there is a little weight in the passenger seat. It will not come on if there is no weight or a passenger sitting in there. For example:

With the girlfriend, no light.

With no passenger, no light.

With my little 9yr old neice, there's a light.

They don't want the airbag deploying if there's a small child in a car seat on that seat.

There's a certain weight that makes if come on. I can reach over and push down on the passenger seat bottom and make the light come on. Just a little push and no light. Push a little harder and it lights up. So basically if you're above or below the preset weight there will be no light.

As for the seatbelt warning, mine is oblivious to the passenger. It only warns me if mine is off.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM
Racer

Thanks "I hate cars".......very well explained........

Thanks to everyone for their replies.......

I just got back from the dealer, they took my car ran all sorts of tests and they found nothing wrong with the system.

What threw me into this crazy mode was that on the manual says " if there is no weight on the passenger seat when you start your car the light above the hazard button should NOT come on" so when I saw it come on with no passenger on the seat it threw me for a loop.

So when you start the car with nothing on the passenger seat, does your light above the hazard button come on???
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 PM
Racer

Thats good , now you know nothing is wrong. YEs the light will come on and turn off. IT just trying to intiallize the OPDS and SWS. Dont worry about that light, what you worry is the airbag light at Cluster. When you see that light, then there is something wrong. Again, if my passenger seat turn off when i am driving. MY nav willl get an email and it also explaining the situation. My is 07 TL. what is yours?
Old 08-03-2007, 07:34 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars

As for the seatbelt warning, mine is oblivious to the passenger. It only warns me if mine is off.
I don't get this. ^^

If I am driving the car (with passenger or not) and unbuckle the belt (of fail to buckle it at all), the chime goes nuts and the MID lights up with warnings.

If I have a passenger, and the passenger unbuckles their belt, same thing: chime goes nuts and the MID lights up with warnings.

Is this model specific? I have an '07 TL-S.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
I don't get this. ^^

If I am driving the car (with passenger or not) and unbuckle the belt (of fail to buckle it at all), the chime goes nuts and the MID lights up with warnings.

If I have a passenger, and the passenger unbuckles their belt, same thing: chime goes nuts and the MID lights up with warnings.

Is this model specific? I have an '07 TL-S.
Mine is an 06 and definately doesn't have the passenger warning. I find myself looking over to make sure the passenger has their belt on.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:47 PM
AZ Community Team

FWIW.

Ok. Tried to do this today, but did not want to drive too far with out seat belts, so the results are somewhat incomplete.

Passenger and I get in the car and DO NOT buckle seatbelts. We get a the red seatbelt "dummy" light in the guage display.

I buckle mine. The red "dummy" light stays on.

I have may passenger lean forward away from the seat back. Nothing happens.

I put the car in reverse, back out of the driveway, and then into drive. No additional warnings when in motion.,

Had the passenger buckle their seatbelt. Red dummy light goes out.

I unbuckled my belt. MID lights up like a christmas tree and the chime goes off. I rebuckle and all is dark and quite.

The passenger unbuckle their belt. MID and Chime go off. MID warning specified the Passenger Seat Belt.

I have the passenger lean forward from the seat back. Their is light in the guage display "Passenger Side Airbag Off" (or something to that effect).

Passenger leans back, that light goes off.

Passenger rebuckles belt, and the MID and Chime go quiet.

I got an AcuraLink/Navi message about the passenger side airbag being deacitivated.

At no time during this did the middle console "Passanger Airbag OFF" light come on.

So, the '07 TL-S at least knows:

- I have a passenger.
- Whehter, at engine start, the passenger belt is buckled.
- Whether the passenger subsequently buckles or unbuckles the belt.
- And whether the passenger is in a position that may interfere with the side airbag.

This all sounds normal to me. Under the circumstances, I would not expect the passanger front airbag to deactivate.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 AM
Racer

FWIW.

Ok. Tried to do this today, but did not want to drive too far with out seat belts, so the results are somewhat incomplete.

Passenger and I get in the car and DO NOT buckle seatbelts. We get a the red seatbelt "dummy" light in the guage display.

I put the car in reverse, back out of the driveway, and then into drive. No additional warnings when in motion.,

I unbuckled my belt. MID lights up like a christmas tree and the chime goes off. I rebuckle and all is dark and quite.

The passenger unbuckle their belt. MID and Chime go off. MID warning specified the Passenger Seat Belt.

I have the passenger lean forward from the seat back. Their is light in the guage display "Passenger Side Airbag Off" (or something to that effect).

I got an AcuraLink/Navi message about the passenger side airbag being deacitivated.

At no time during this did the middle console "Passanger Airbag OFF" light come on.

- I have a passenger.
- And whether the passenger is in a position that may interfere with the side airbag.

This all sounds normal to me. Under the circumstances, I would not expect the passanger front airbag to deactivate.
right. its nrmal
Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Team Owner

FWIW.

- I have a passenger.

That's interesting. Mine definately doesn't warn me if the passenger in not buckled in. So either all 06's didn't do this or mine is defective. Anyone else with an 06 that can verify this?
Old 08-05-2007, 09:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Also found today:

Driving alone (i.e. NO passenger), while moving, buckled the passenger seatbelt and the center console Passenger Airbag Off light did light up. Also got a message on the Navi that the Passenger Airbag was off.

I assume the TL detected the seatbelt but not enough weight in the seat, so diabled the Airbag.

Again, this makes sense to me. Just posting FYI.