Front end "Click" sound when load/unload engin

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Red line...use it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Front end "Click" sound when load/unload engin

OK, just to start, this is not the "ABS Noise" that has been talked about multiple times. I searched and did not find any thing like my problem.

I have 6MT 04 TL. Recently I started noticing a sound (CLICK) from the front end when I accelerate or shift. It is just 1 click when acellerating and 1 click if I let off of the gas or shift (let off of the gas and engage the clutch). I think it is occuring more often but that could just be me noticing it more. The easiest way to reproduce is to get into 2nd gear and accel up over 3K then let off of the gas. This will jerk you around (espically if you do it in 1st!!).

Any ideas?
Some people say it could be the hydrolic motor mounts. But do the "CLICK". I just had it in for the 15K check up and they did not notice it. Said they tighetend all the suspension and did not hear it. They think it could be the motor mounts.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 04TLMan
OK, just to start, this is not the "ABS Noise" that has been talked about multiple times. I searched and did not find any thing like my problem.

I have 6MT 04 TL. Recently I started noticing a sound (CLICK) from the front end when I accelerate or shift. It is just 1 click when acellerating and 1 click if I let off of the gas or shift (let off of the gas and engage the clutch). I think it is occuring more often but that could just be me noticing it more. The easiest way to reproduce is to get into 2nd gear and accel up over 3K then let off of the gas. This will jerk you around (espically if you do it in 1st!!).

Any ideas?
Some people say it could be the hydrolic motor mounts. But do the "CLICK". I just had it in for the 15K check up and they did not notice it. Said they tighetend all the suspension and did not hear it. They think it could be the motor mounts.
I have the same problem. I am going to make an appointment to see what the problem is. I will let you know.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I brought it in for the same problem the tech told me its the clips that hold the brembo brakes (the pads actually in - that clip in front) they orderd new ones so im gonna have that replaced and i hope that is really the case. He told me that some other guy had the problem .....
Old 09-01-2005, 02:02 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I'm getting the same thing. It started maybe 3 weeks ago and occurs more frequently now. I can reproduce the noise by moving the car either forward or backward at slow/any speed. It definitely happens with a shift of momentum (on the gas or letting off exactly as you describe), but I don't seem to get it when the brakes are applied. I, too, have the 6 speed with the Brembos and a mild drop on the Comptech springs. Are you lowered? Also, the only affected brake is the front passenger side, which gets majority of the work anyway. (I once read that 70% of our turns are right-hand turns, so I always figured thats why that wheel got dirtier than the others.)

My buddy and I tried to troubleshoot this for several hours earlier tonight with no luck. Here's what I found. The pads still have maybe 20-35% life in them. There is a tiny amount of play/float. At first, we thought perhaps the shims were shifting around and making noise. They were removed, yet the noise was persistent. The next attempt involved lubing the metal spring clip, and then on to the top and bottom pins, and even were the clip touches the pads in the middle. No luck.

I have new pads that I'd like to test out, as I believe this would resolve the issue; however, I want to use the rest of the original pads as they are in great condition and have a decent amount of wear left. Also, I don't have a "spreader" or whatever tool needed to push the 4 pistons back into the caliper. I believe I saw one before for $100+, as my good ol C-clamp wouldn't treat the finish too well on the Brembos.

I did tap the pads with a rubber mallet and noticed that they were solid at the top, but slightly loose and made some noise when tapped near the bottom pin. At this point, I'm thinking it could just be normal wear. My best guess right now is that the pads (having a slight amount of float/play) are hitting the bottom pin causing this CLICK noise that has been irritating the shit out of me...Also, I don't think it's related, but my rotors are slightly worn, having a tiny "lip" at the outside edge.

This is affecting my lowered 04 6MT, front right brake. Thanks for your help, Chris. I know you're reading this on your Treo.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 AM
Red line...use it

My car is not lowered....stock. I have had the windows up lately (huimid and Hot), so I have not heard it in a while. But yesterday I opened the windows and drove home, there was the sound again. I think it is getting worse. You may be right that it is a brake issue, but I can not see how. I guess I can not believe the brakes are that loose that all it takes is a change of Momentum. But I have not looked into it as long as you have. I will try it today with the brake applied.

BTW, my sound is at least on the driver side front end. I need to get someone out side and listen as I drive by to see if they can find it's location better.

I may have to take it into the shop to have it looked at (after I force them in the car to hear it!!).
Old 09-05-2005, 06:21 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

My car is not lowered....stock...

How about the brakes? Do you have the 6-speed with the Brembos?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:10 AM
5th Gear

I am actually looking at the posts from a real computer...LOL I have asked around to varies dealers and no service manager has encountered this problem. If I hear anything I will keep everyone posted.
Old 10-19-2005, 09:50 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

well, I've got a loaner for the day...I was in the garage with a service mgr and tech yesterday and noticed that there is the tiniest bit of slop in the passenger side axle. It is enough to make a very faint click when twisted by hand. I should get the car back this afternoon and see if the new axle resolves the problem.

I really could have sworn it was coming from the brakes, but a friend said he had a similar problem with a Camry's axle.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:00 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

axle was replaced. click is GONE.
Old 10-21-2005, 03:56 PM
Red line...use it

Great! That is what is sounded to me when I first heard it (axle). I tried a bunch of tests with braking and it all led to play in the driver side front end.

I still have it and will be making an appointment soon to have it checked out. Was it covered under warranty? I assume so.

Thanks for the info!!
Old 10-21-2005, 05:03 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

yep, under warranty
Old 04-20-2006, 09:43 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

for the sake of resurrected an old thread an not starting a new one, I think I'm getting the same axle click on the driver's side, now....ugh....I'll give it a few thousand miles and see if it develops.

I wonder if many people are having this problem, there don't seem to be many threads...
Old 05-04-2006, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Clicking is often from CV joints starting to go..

I'm surprised its happening this early though.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:12 PM
Royal Flush

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Clicking is often from CV joints starting to go..

I'm surprised its happening this early though.
Terrible. I have been getting these noises and wheel hop feels as well in the low rpm range in the 1, 2 and 3rd gear area. Car is well maintained and taken care of with only 16,000 and no abuse. Acura quality...where have you gone?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:55 PM
My Daily Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 05 6MT is doing it as well. Has been from day one. I now have 15K miles on it and it sounds the same as day one. I too was told it's just from the clips in the break pads so I ignored it. I will have them look at it when it goes in for the next oil change.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:18 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

Have them lift the car, and then twist the suspected axle and listen for a very faint click. I was back in the service bay and suggested the axle, then the tech did the above and we heard the very faint click, which is certainly more pronounced when the car is under load and there is weight on the axle. btw, it would typically click upon a change in momentum, forward or reverse.

My driver's side axle click is developing more and more. It's almost to the point where I can get it to click every single time. Once it gets there, I'm going in for a new axle.

This is my third axle on the car...With 36K miles, I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be a recurring issue- one that's going to start coming out of my pocket when I hit 45K at the end of this summer...
Old 05-12-2006, 12:59 PM
Cruisin'

i have the same "click" sound coming from my '05 6MT. mine's seem to be coming from the clutch, not the brakes. when i engage the clutch, a very distinct "click" can be heard. i brought it to Radley Acura here in No. VA and they said it was becuase of a dry clutch pedal brush. so they lubed it up and told me the sound is gone. i got in my car and before i even started it up, i could here the sound. they didn't fix anything. so i had the tech get in the car with me and we went for a drive. i told him to listen carefully, i was sure to turn off the radio to prevent any distractions. and there it was, the "clicking" sound that was supposed to be fixed. he said it himself, "yea, it sure is a clicking sound". so now i have to wait till next week for them to work on it, my car might be out for a couple of days so they are giving me a loaner. i'll let u guys know how it turns out.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

axle, check the axle, man.

mine will do it in reverse, too.

It's very easily duplicated if you let the clutch out abruptly, without killing the engine, of course.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:00 AM
Red line...use it

I took mine in last fall and could not really hear it...only if get abusive with the clutch. I think it had something to do with the cold... so they could not find it or hear it. So I let it go.

Now that it is warm again, windows done, I hear it all the time.

Time to take it in and see if they can hear it.