Fog light housing melted/burned

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 01:30 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog light housing melted/burned

I recently inspected one of my fog lights after I noticed it had burned out. Upon inspection I noticed that the plastic housing had melted so I went on to inspect the other one as well and realized that the housing on both sides had melted as seen in the pictures. I had taken my car (UA7) to a local shop that does HID conversions I believe over a year ago and had them do the conversion but I don’t remember if the bulbs they used were 35W or 55W. But regardless, I highly doubt they would accept any blame for this and I can’t seem to find the paperwork for it anyway so I’m probably SOL in that regard. Prior to having this done, I was naïve and didn’t think anything about the potential issues that may arise from the heat of the HID bulbs. Thus, what should my next course of action be in regards to the housing? Do I need to replace the whole housing? If so, what are the recommendations? Also, how do I avoid this from happening in the future? Thanks for any input you may have!
Attached Thumbnails Fog light housing melted/burned-img_3982.jpg   Fog light housing melted/burned-img_3983.jpg  
Old 12-06-2016, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,594 Likes on 6,638 Posts
HID bulbs in foglight housings = melted housings because they run hot. Take into the fact that they were potentially bad quality bulbs, there's even more variability in wattage and temperature.

I'm looking to do some retrofits and need some not so perfect housings if you want to let yours go for cheap
Old 12-06-2016, 04:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,687 Likes on 1,303 Posts
Someone using 55w HID, I ran 35w HID in my fog before with no issue with housing melting. BTW I use Morimoto 3 five kit.
Old 12-07-2016, 12:33 AM
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 95 Posts
I'm looking to do some retrofits and need some not so perfect housings if you want to let yours go for cheap
I have a passenger side one if your interested.

OP, you have to get whole new assemblies, that is how they come. You can get aftermarket ones but those usually have plastic lenses. Depo has them with glass but only the CAPA certified ones, I believe. If you dont want it to happen again use quality OSRAM or Phillips bulbs or use LED's.
The following users liked this post:
FedererExpress (12-07-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 04:43 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
HID bulbs in foglight housings = melted housings because they run hot. Take into the fact that they were potentially bad quality bulbs, there's even more variability in wattage and temperature.

I gotta take it to my friend's shop first and see what he can do with these before I can do anything.
Originally Posted by eastcoastguy
I have a passenger side one if your interested.

OP, you have to get whole new assemblies, that is how they come. You can get aftermarket ones but those usually have plastic lenses. Depo has them with glass but only the CAPA certified ones, I believe. If you dont want it to happen again use quality OSRAM or Phillips bulbs or use LED's.
Pardon my ignorance, but which replacement housings are you referring to and from what sellers? Can you provide links please? I'm willing to spend money on good quality housings and this time I'm definitely not messing around with cheap bulbs.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are OSRAM CBI H8 bulbs consider HID? I was planning on getting them for the fog lights.
Old 12-07-2016, 07:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,594 Likes on 6,638 Posts
Originally Posted by Asianemia
Are OSRAM CBI H8 bulbs consider HID? I was planning on getting them for the fog lights.

those are not HID