A few problems randomly pop up

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 04:18 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few problems randomly pop up

Can someone please offer some insight in where I should start looking first. I had a few problems pop out of nowhere today.

I was on my commute home and all of a sudden, my temp display showed only three dashes, and the turning signals and high beams stopped working, With no display on the dash.
Got home and was about to google to see where I should look first but noticed my key fob not working along with the driver side power door locks. The on-dash display showed that it was not linked to the car anymore.
So I looked up the instruction here and tried to re-program it, with no success and it also drained my battery. I ended up having to get CAA to give me a boost.
Now here is the strange part in the midst of driving around to get charge the battery again. The signals, high beam, temp display, and lock started to work again. But for some reason or another, my rear windshield defroster did not for the first part of my drive.

I'll be picking up a new battery tomorrow, before trying to trying to reprogram the fob again. But can some point me in the right direction in where to look.

I sorry for the long-winded post but I just didn't want to leave anything out

Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 04:24 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Interesting... My TL glitched a lot... What year is it? Mine was a 2008 base non-tech...
Old 12-07-2018, 05:19 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Interesting... My TL glitched a lot... What year is it? Mine was a 2008 base non-tech...
Mines an 05. I just found it weird that all of the problems just popped out of nowhere.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:25 AM
Null and proud of it

Check the grounds... Maybe something going on there...
Old 12-07-2018, 05:26 AM
Null and proud of it

Someone else ought to know more than I do.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:28 AM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc.Hollow
I had a few problems pop out of nowhere today.
I'll be picking up a new battery tomorrow, before trying to trying to reprogram the fob again. But can some point me in the right direction in where to look.
These random problems seem to have electricity in common. I would have guessed bad battery but a bad battery could also be a symptom (bad alternator, bad connection, high parasitic draw).

If the battery was more than three years old and you have typical driving/maintenance habits, then I'd get the new battery and see if the problems go away.

If your battery was newish or you typically keep it topped up, the problem will likely return when your new battery is subject to whatever drained the first. There are lots of posts on parasitic draws on this site.

If your problem is a loose/corroded connection, your new battery will not help with your problems. There are also lots of posts on looses/corroded connections.

I'm hoping its just an old battery.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:01 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by redbeard1
These random problems seem to have electricity in common. I would have guessed bad battery but a bad battery could also be a symptom (bad alternator, bad connection, high parasitic draw).

If the battery was more than three years old and you have typical driving/maintenance habits, then I'd get the new battery and see if the problems go away.

If your battery was newish or you typically keep it topped up, the problem will likely return when your new battery is subject to whatever drained the first. There are lots of posts on parasitic draws on this site.

If your problem is a loose/corroded connection, your new battery will not help with your problems. There are also lots of posts on looses/corroded connections.

I'm hoping its just an old battery.
Thanks for the input bud...... It turned out to be just and an aging battery, I hope. I had it for more than a few years and really have not been driving the car as of much lately. Pop in a new Kirkland today and everything seems to be back to normal. Even got the remote linked again

Thanks
Old 12-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Null and proud of it