Faded Dash - Acura now has Service Bulletin about Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 07:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faded Dash - Acura now has Service Bulletin about Problem

Like many people who have posted here, I noticed my dash has started to look odd. It appears to be fading and has a blotchy, uneven, almost milky look to it. Some parts are glossy while others are dull. It's most noticable in full sunlight.

I took it into the dealer today. They were great about the situation. All the service guys knew of the problem. One said he had numerous complaints about it. I looked at the '06's and several 05's and all had the same issue...some worse than others. They said Acura is aware of the problem too and put out a Service Bulletin.

They have a temp fix right now which is basically amounts to washing and recoating the dash with a factory brand of protectant (sounds something like the 303 stuff mentioned here). It's covered under warranty and doesn't cost anything. The service manager said it doesn't make the problem go away but definately reduces the 'milky' spots and faded look.

He also said Acura was working on a permanent "fix" but it was not clear yet what that would be. There was a rumor that a replacement dash was in the works but nobody knew for sure.

I couldn't find the 303 yet. I bought some Meguiars Protectant today and will give that a shot. I'll take the car in next week and have Acura do their thing. Also have a minor buzzing/rattling noise coming out from just above the Navi. They're going to look at that too.

I'll keep you posted.
Old 11-05-2005, 10:21 PM
Cruisin'

was offered replacement w/ warning

I got my TL at Montgomeryville Acura in PA. I took it in for service about a few things and they were actually very good about them:

replace wornout floor mats (after a year)
replace rear window actuators (grinding)

and the faded dash... which they offered to replace, but with a warning that I would most likely experience a lot of rattles, and I'd probably have the car back in several times before it was right again. I figured I'd live with it for the rest of lease, rather than go through the possible headache of multiple service trips.

Anyway, I've had good luck with the following: no treatment to the doors (which are naturally glossier and "blacker") and then low gloss armor all (I know, that doesn't seem to have a good rep around here) to the dash. It seems to even everything to the same glossy-ness and color.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:52 AM
Instructor

Thats great news to hear! hopefully i can get around to bringing the car in to have them fix it...even if it is only temporary. i'm glad they are being cooperative and doing it under warranty. =)
Old 11-06-2005, 10:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Replacing the dash would never be a good idea (and it may be the only way to truly fix the problem) because we run such a high risk of developing rattles and clicks after the new dash is installed. Its not worth the risk. I am glad to hear that Acura is providing some kind of "improvement process" for the fading dash. The worst part about it is the outline of the passenger airbag which is so visible now.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by acuraddict
Replacing the dash would never be a good idea (and it may be the only way to truly fix the problem) because we run such a high risk of developing rattles and clicks after the new dash is installed. Its not worth the risk. I am glad to hear that Acura is providing some kind of "improvement process" for the fading dash. The worst part about it is the outline of the passenger airbag which is so visible now.
I have not had the dash fade problem as of now but I can't agree more. Removing the dash is the last thing I would want them to do. It will never be the same after they're done.

Hopefully they can come up with something better than replacing the dash.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:25 AM
Racer

comment from a newbie

Hey Guys:

I'm into my third month with my TL; already at 4,000 miles. Prior to the TL, I had a 2001 CL Type-S. Did a trade-in when I hit 100K+ miles. Didn't want to push my luck with the tranny (was replaced at 32,000 miles).

After finding this site last week and reading this thread, I too noticed the blotchiness and fading. I've got an Anthracite Grey with Black interior.

I wasn't too alarmed as my wife's 2002 Odyssey does the same thing. What I have found that works great is Armor All Leather Cleaner and Protectant. I know Armor All is a bad word to a lot of the serious types on the board, but I've found it works great on the van's dash.

My experience is a re-coat is needed about every third month. Both my cars are garaged when at home, but sit outside when at work.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, a strange thing happened this weekend. The TL lost all of it's XM radio channels settings and the Memeroy setting for auto-locking the doors. Hmm?

The main reason I traded in the CL was that some electrical gremlins were starting to pop-up.

Other than the headliner starting to come unglued around the center high mounted brake light, things are okay. I am a little disapponted with the fit of some interior pieces, especially the dash board.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Sadly, it is becoming apparent to me that Honda's quality isn't what it used to be. This is coming from someone who has been buying Honda's since the first Civic back in 1973! I know, I'm old.

gurney
Old 11-07-2005, 02:37 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Thanks for the info...mine's going in tomorrow for an oil change and round of rattle fixing...I'll add the dash to the list.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

By the way, what is the service bulletin number? I didn't see it listed in the 3G Garage TSB section.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:36 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Dealer just called...all rattles have been fixed (we'll see). I forgot to mention the dash when I dropped the car off, but the tech noticed it and applied the treatment on his own (and this is why I like my dealer's service - they go out of thier way). My service rep said it's better...I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:17 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by gurneyeagle
Hey Guys:

I'm into my third month with my TL; already at 4,000 miles. Prior to the TL, I had a 2001 CL Type-S. Did a trade-in when I hit 100K+ miles. Didn't want to push my luck with the tranny (was replaced at 32,000 miles).

After finding this site last week and reading this thread, I too noticed the blotchiness and fading. I've got an Anthracite Grey with Black interior.

I wasn't too alarmed as my wife's 2002 Odyssey does the same thing. What I have found that works great is Armor All Leather Cleaner and Protectant. I know Armor All is a bad word to a lot of the serious types on the board, but I've found it works great on the van's dash.

My experience is a re-coat is needed about every third month. Both my cars are garaged when at home, but sit outside when at work.

Hope this helps.

On a side note, a strange thing happened this weekend. The TL lost all of it's XM radio channels settings and the Memeroy setting for auto-locking the doors. Hmm?
The main reason I traded in the CL was that some electrical gremlins were starting to pop-up.

Other than the headliner starting to come unglued around the center high mounted brake light, things are okay. I am a little disapponted with the fit of some interior pieces, especially the dash board.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. Sadly, it is becoming apparent to me that Honda's quality isn't what it used to be. This is coming from someone who has been buying Honda's since the first Civic back in 1973! I know, I'm old.

gurney
Thanks for the info on Oddy dash. My 93 and 02 Honda/Acura dashboards look new, unlike my milkey 05 TL. The XM and memory settings loss has been reported before. I don't think it recurred for anyone. Hope you also don't see it again.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraddict
I find it hard to beleive that my dash could make any more squeaks and rattles than it does now, but then witht his TL nothing surprises me. A haunted house on Halloween has less squeaks and rattles than my TL.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 PM
Burning Brakes

i have been wondering if it was just me being a little to picky about the dash or if in fact it was a problem. i thought it started to look funny now.
i will call them and ask when I can bring it in to have them look at and document it for future reference.
do you know if there is a TSB on it or something?
Old 11-11-2005, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Inbox7
.....I couldn't find the 303 yet. I bought some Meguiars Protectant today and will give that a shot....
Like most I have same problem. Found the 303 at local ACE Hardware.

Web site: http://www.303products.com/main.php has product locator.

Use it about once a month on the dash.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Great post!

Doubtit, which 303 product do you choose from that website? I see a couple of them and want to make sure I get the right one and not put something im not suppose too making it worse.

By the way, I dont have that problem, but want to prevent it.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by invincible569
Doubtit, which 303 product do you choose from that website? I see a couple of them and want to make sure I get the right one and not put something im not suppose too making it worse. .

303 Aerospace Protectant
Old 11-11-2005, 02:47 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Well, whatever Acura is using on the dashes (Vinylex or something) worked wonders! Dash is as black as can be.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:27 PM
18,000mi. 29000km

I apply aftermarket protectant twice a month or so. It seems to hold ok. It was a little cheaper than 303. To be exact "Turtle Platinum protectant". But I guess from now on I dont have to buy one and just bring it to dealer to make them apply it.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:36 AM
Intermediate

The Pinnacle vinyl protectant from properautocare.com seems to be working for a non gloss look. It does take a couple applications to get it down right, as it is a water based product. The first few times looked blotchy - until I put alot of the product on the entire dash, and buffed off working left to right.