Faded Dash

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Faded Dash

I know the topic has been discussed before but was curious about this fading dash. I now can see clearly the airbag on the passenger side of the dash as it doesn't seem to fade as fast. Is this a defective dash? What will Acura Canada do about it. Has anyone had justice served for this problem. Armourall is not an appropriate answer.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Acura Service Bulletin

just take the car to your Acura dealership, let them know that the faded dash was included into a Dealership Service Bulletin sent to all dealerships. THe dealership will apply two products to it and give it back to you (better than new) for no charge.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:51 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by BATTLESHIP
just take the car to your Acura dealership, let them know that the faded dash was included into a Dealership Service Bulletin sent to all dealerships. THe dealership will apply two products to it and give it back to you (better than new) for no charge.
My TL is 8 weeks old and fortunatley have not noticed this. I am about to apply the 303 Aerospace protectant to my interior this weekend. Will this prevent the fading dash from occurring. If not, and the dash fades I'm a little concerned that the dealer will say I applied the wrong type of dash treatment and not do anything to help me. Sounds like they have some special cleaner/protectant they use. Can you buy it OTC from them. Thanks
Old 07-28-2006, 03:24 PM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Cecilt
My TL is 8 weeks old and fortunatley have not noticed this. I am about to apply the 303 Aerospace protectant to my interior this weekend. Will this prevent the fading dash from occurring. If not, and the dash fades I'm a little concerned that the dealer will say I applied the wrong type of dash treatment and not do anything to help me. Sounds like they have some special cleaner/protectant they use. Can you buy it OTC from them. Thanks
I've used the 303 Aerospace protectant from Day 1 on my '04 TL and haven't had any fading/airbag issues on my dash.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
Advanced

you can purchase the (again...supposedly two-step product) cleaner/protectant from the dealer...but they'll also do it for you no charge.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reason the dash is fading is because of some product that Acura uses from the factory. I didnt know that they had something to fix this untill I took my car to the dealer because of some issue I was having with the xm. The service lady saw that and told me she would apply some product that would make it seems normal.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BATTLESHIP
is there any way we have access to this dealership service bulletin list that dealerships get? if so, where?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Could someone pretty please post the link to the faded dash fix for free at the Acura dealerships. The two step dealer applied fix. Thank you in adavance.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:14 PM
Trucki!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Its December 2005
Old 07-28-2006, 05:21 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Tripp11
I've used the 303 Aerospace protectant from Day 1 on my '04 TL and haven't had any fading/airbag issues on my dash.
303 here as well with good results. I'm starting to see the air bag silhouette over the glove box a bit more than I'd like though.

To my knowledge the dealer is first cleaning the dash with Honda Pro Cleaner/Polish and then following up with Honda Pro Vinyl Protectant. By all accounts both products are petroleum based. To some, that's a big no-no. Other's are OK with it.

Both can be purchased at Honda or Acura dealers though they may need to order it. I use the Honda Pro Cleaner/Polish in door jams and on the motor's plastic covers. It's also good in bicycles. Don't have the Honda Pro Vinyl Protectant.

And...
Anyone get a faint whiff of Elmer Higgins while reading all of this ?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Trucki!!

My dash is fine......the only thing that bothers the hell out of me is the door pillars that get scuffed from the seatbelt flipping back.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:29 PM
Racer

I got my TL two months ago. Noticed some white spots or something to that effect on the dashboard a week ago.. If I use the 303 product, will this void my warranty or should I just take it to the dealer? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by doggydog
I got my TL two months ago. Noticed some white spots or something to that effect on the dashboard a week ago.. If I use the 303 product, will this void my warranty or should I just take it to the dealer? Thanks in advance guys.
Just take it back in since its only 2 months old. But to answer your question its not going to void your warranty if you use 303. I use 303 and I haven't experienced any spotting of fading issues.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:38 PM
Racer

Thank you for your answer and time.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:53 PM
DEG
Advanced

I seriously doubt that anything happens to the dashes that can't be corrected with cleaning and applying 303. How can you not expect to see some signs of the airbag cover in the dash?
Old 07-31-2006, 08:03 AM
Advanced

I seriously doubt that anything happens to the dashes that can't be corrected with cleaning and applying 303. How can you not expect to see some signs of the airbag cover in the dash?
I hear you but I am not going to purchase or even be given free a product for a default from the factory. I could unterstand a fading problem if the car were 4 years old but 1 year is a definite sign of a production error. This ia an Acura not a hyundai lol
Old 07-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by barry stevens
I hear you but I am not going to purchase or even be given free a product for a default from the factory. I could unterstand a fading problem if the car were 4 years old but 1 year is a definite sign of a production error. This ia an Acura not a hyundai lol
Acura like most of the other car manufacturer have these parts made by other manufacturers so in reality, nobody is isolated from this happening to their beloved cars.

here is the exceprt from the Acura Service Bulletin;

Got an ’04–06 TL in your shop with a faded or
blotchy-looking dashboard? (It’s called the
instrument panel in the parts catalog.) What’s
probably causing this is the compatibilizer
material in the dashboard is migrating through the
cover. After the material ages, proper cleaning
and an application of vinyl protectant should
restore it to showroom condition. Keep in mind,
though, if you clean the dashboard before all that
material has migrated, you may need to clean it
again and reapply the protectant.
To clean the dashboard, first moisten a clean,
white towel with Acura Spray Cleaner/Polish
(P/N08C25-P011M), then rub the panel vigorously
until the discoloration goes away. Clean the
dashboard twice in different directions to get the
best results.
After you’re done cleaning, moisten another fresh
towel with Acura Vinyl/Leather Protectant
(P/N 08740-PC008), and liberally apply this
product to the dashboard. Do this twice in
different directions to make sure all areas get
covered.
Avoid spraying the cleaner or vinyl protectant
directly on the dashboard. These products are
tough to remove from glass, and glass cleaners
could stain or discolor the dashboard.

This also explain that if you do the treatment too early (Before all the stuff has migrate to the surface) you could have to treat it again.

Ever wonder why new cars develop that white haze on the inside of the windows? This is from the plastic outgassing.

Best regards

frenchnew