Ermm...Houston: we have an interior light problem. I think..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 12:41 AM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Ermm...Houston: we have an interior light problem. I think..

Long story short: SIX interior lights that light up the buttons have gone out in the past two days. WTF. Every time I turn the lights on now, I look around to see if there are any new surprises. I'll post pics below this to illustrate. Also, my dad wanted me to post this thread. He was just about as confused as me and figured I should ask some of you guys before we go the dealer or DIY route.

Now my questions.

1) Why in the hell are they dropping like flies all the sudden? The car has 90k miles now (of course it seems logical that they're start to burn out, but this many at once?) I tried to look at the fuse box briefly but quickly decided I had no idea as the what I was looking at and didn't want to mess anything up further. Even with the diagram in the manual. Would this be some kind of electrical issue (past the obvious)? All the buttons still work but I feel like Ray Charles when I try to locate and press them at night.

2) How much would the stealer charge to rip out the Navi head unit to replace the most annoying ones? I can only imagine. I'm not opposed to taking it out myself if the dealer is going to charge me out the ass to replace a few tiny bulbs.

3) Anyone else with similar troubles? And my only interior modifications are blue LED dome lights and the USAspec iPod kit. But those have been in there for close to a year now...so I doubt they have anything to do with it.

Sorry about the quality. Direct from my iPhone 4. First ones to blow were here. Oh perfect, can't tell if I'm turning the fan speed up all the way or if I'm turning the A/C off.

This one isn't as bad as I'm not going to use the seat heat in the middle of July. And I don't have to look at it's abyss constantly.

And lastly, VSA button? Anyone home? No? Ok.

Last edited by cjTL; 07-19-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you need a total of 4 bulbs, 1 for the heated switch, 1 for the vsa, and 2 for the climate controls

personally i would not use the dealership, the job should take you about 30-60 minutes, all depends on your experience. the bulbs are about 3-5 bucks each, and i'm sure the dealership will charge you easily 200 bucks for the job
Old 07-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Look in the 3G Garage under "lighting". There are DIYs to fix all of these.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have the same problem but when i tap very hard the vsa and the heated switch they turn on again. btw also the sunroof, mirror, and navi light are out.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:36 AM
I'm Craig

Alright guys I ripped my interior apart tonight just to see if I could take the navi unit out myself- success. Wasn't too hard, just took a long time. Put it all back together with no problems.

Originally Posted by rbf351
you need a total of 4 bulbs, 1 for the heated switch, 1 for the vsa, and 2 for the climate controls

personally i would not use the dealership, the job should take you about 30-60 minutes, all depends on your experience. the bulbs are about 3-5 bucks each, and i'm sure the dealership will charge you easily 200 bucks for the job
Indeed it wasn't too bad to take apart. Kind of nerve-racking for a first timer with all the wire harnesses and crap though.

Question:

A) What are the bulbs/part numbers I need? I'm going to replace all of the lights around the navi just to be safe. So how many of those bulbs do I need?
B) Part number for the heated seat switch?
C) VSA light part number?

Thank you in advance if anyone can help me here. I'm ordering from acuraoemparts.com- more specifically this is the page all the good stuff is on. http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...t&ListAll=Part
Old 07-20-2010, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by cjTL
Alright guys I ripped my interior apart tonight just to see if I could take the navi unit out myself- success. Wasn't too hard, just took a long time. Put it all back together with no problems.

Indeed it wasn't too bad to take apart. Kind of nerve-racking for a first timer with all the wire harnesses and crap though.

Question:

A) What are the bulbs/part numbers I need? I'm going to replace all of the lights around the navi just to be safe. So how many of those bulbs do I need?
B) Part number for the heated seat switch?
C) VSA light part number?

Thank you in advance if anyone can help me here. I'm ordering from acuraoemparts.com- more specifically this is the page all the good stuff is on. http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...t&ListAll=Part

your best bet is to pull each part up separately, don't search for the bulb

use this link for your switches
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

use this link for your navi
Old 07-20-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm Craig

your best bet is to pull each part up separately, don't search for the bulb

use this link for your switches

use this link for your navi
You da man. About to order them. Only question- for the lower four buttons on the sides of the navi screeen, where bulb 007 is needed, there's two different ones listed with that number? BULB (8V 60MA) and BULB (14V 60MA). Ehh which four do I need? Or is it two of each?
Old 07-20-2010, 02:02 PM

You da man. About to order them. Only question- for the lower four buttons on the sides of the navi screeen, where bulb 007 is needed, there's two different ones listed with that number? BULB (8V 60MA) and BULB (14V 60MA). Ehh which four do I need? Or is it two of each?

looks like it's the 14V ones

Last edited by rbf351; 07-20-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
BULB (14V 60MA). Ehh which four do I need? Or is it two of each?
SOB!!! O/T, but wow, do I ever wish I freaking knew those specs before doing the LEDs in my car!!!

Good info guys, even for a lurker!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,050 Posts
1: LOL @ Ray Charles

2: For future reference, Honda charges $103 CDN just to diagnose the problem. Pretty damn spensive.

3: iPhone 4? Lucky bastid. They're not even out here yet

4: DeathMetal: Woulda been nice to know these specs before you went and built your custom board, huh?
Old 07-20-2010, 09:15 PM
Fearless DIY Guy

Received 374 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by AMAN1
4: DeathMetal: Woulda been nice to know these specs before you went and built your custom board, huh?
Wouldn't make a difference there, the board bypasses all OE circuitry.

ALTHOUGH, damn this would have made a difference when choosing resistors when retrofitting existing panels!!!
Old 07-20-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm Craig

looks like it's the 14V ones
I ordered the 8V ones. I'm an idiot. What will happen if I use them in place of the 14s?

Originally Posted by DeathMetal
SOB!!! O/T, but wow, do I ever wish I freaking knew those specs before doing the LEDs in my car!!!

Good info guys, even for a lurker!
Wish I had the balls to do an LED interior. See my above question. I'm wondering if I should go and order four 14V bulbs now..

Originally Posted by AMAN1
1: LOL @ Ray Charles

2: For future reference, Honda charges $103 CDN just to diagnose the problem. Pretty damn spensive.

3: iPhone 4? Lucky bastid. They're not even out here yet

$103? Hence why I'd rather do it myself. lol.

The iPhone 4 is amazing. Get one when they're available in Canadia.