Engine wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:29 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Engine wont start!

Battery seems to be working, dashboard display shows the car being in drive when i turn the key. the engine won't start up. I don't know what part is in need of repair. From my research it seem to be the starter. Does anyone have any input. I would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
car will not start unless in neutral or in park and your foot is on the brake and the immobilizer recognizes the key
Old 12-30-2016, 05:31 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
It appears that your Transmission Range Switch is out of adjustment or defective.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:27 PM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Starter solenoid most likely or ignition switch. Have a friend crank the ignition while you tap on the starter solenoid with a long screwdriver. Starter isn't hard to replace, just one bolt that's at a weird angle that might take some force to break lose.

Out of curiosity, if you rapidly go from ignition position II to crank and back again repeatedly does the car eventually start?

What I mean:

Last edited by srg818; 12-30-2016 at 07:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
wusty23jd (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 160 Posts
I had the starter issue (exactly like the video above) happen a handful of times about two months ago. I got stranded twice because of this. The only way that the car started was after 10-15 minutes of trying. I disconnected the HandsFree Link as others have suggested this can sometimes temporarily drain the battery. Once I disconnected the HFL, the starter issue seemed to have been resolved...until this evening when my car wouldn't start, yet again. I repeatedly did what the video represents and after about 10 minutes of trying, the car eventually started. Tonight, I had someone try to jump me as I thought this may be a battery issue. However, after being connected via jumper cables for 10 minutes, I think the car started only due to my numerous attempts. My battery is less than two years old and my car never indicated that the battery was dead. I wasn't' hearing the "tick tick tick tick" sounds that typically occur when the engine is trying to turn over with a dead batter. This issue is frustrating and it's annoying that there's no clear answer

PS - I know talking about this issue is like beating a dead horse.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by wusty23jd
I had the starter issue (exactly like the video above) happen a handful of times about two months ago. I got stranded twice because of this. The only way that the car started was after 10-15 minutes of trying. I disconnected the HandsFree Link as others have suggested this can sometimes temporarily drain the battery. Once I disconnected the HFL, the starter issue seemed to have been resolved...until this evening when my car wouldn't start, yet again. I repeatedly did what the video represents and after about 10 minutes of trying, the car eventually started. Tonight, I had someone try to jump me as I thought this may be a battery issue. However, after being connected via jumper cables for 10 minutes, I think the car started only due to my numerous attempts. My battery is less than two years old and my car never indicated that the battery was dead. I wasn't' hearing the "tick tick tick tick" sounds that typically occur when the engine is trying to turn over with a dead batter. This issue is frustrating and it's annoying that there's no clear answer

PS - I know talking about this issue is like beating a dead horse.
starter may be on its way out..
Old 01-16-2017, 01:18 AM
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ekallday
Battery seems to be working, dashboard display shows the car being in drive when i turn the key. the engine won't start up. I don't know what part is in need of repair. From my research it seem to be the starter. Does anyone have any input. I would be greatly appreciated.
before you tell us if your starter crank or not when key's turned, ignore every reply above me.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:32 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exact same issue here. Did ou ever get this resolved?
Old 09-16-2020, 02:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by thassett
Exact same issue here. Did ou ever get this resolved?
Currently have a very similar issue and I think I resolved it... Turns out I had a parasitic drain on the battery. I dislocated the HFL unit and factory amp due to current draw. I then realized I was still having the starting issues, so upon further research, it could be the ignition switch, transmission range switch, or could be fuel pressure related.

I ended up filling up my tank and since have not had any starting issues. I put the key to position 2, wait several seconds to allow the fuel pump to prime, and then start the vehicle. My bet is that my fuel pressure drops significantly below 1/4 tank.