engine ticking when cold

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 01:37 PM
05' WDP A-SPEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine ticking when cold

i just noticed that my enigine is ticking a bit. real noticable when its cold, not so noticable when its hot but you can still hear it. my car only got 9000 miles on it and i baby it. never even really opened it up unless i was getting on the parkway. anyone else have this problem? what coould it be? i guessing my valves might need adjusted. do you think the warrenty will cover this?
Old 02-27-2006, 05:33 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Good luck, i'm fighting with Acura for months now about that. I think it's an heatshield issue, but it's hard for them to understand that the sound is not normal. They said ''we test another TL from another customer and same noise'' Yes i know but the problem touches a lot of TL. The problem is the people that repair cars used to have mofidied 1995s Civic with a big sound system, so they are death and won't know what a good engine sound is.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:07 PM
Instructor

I guess I would ask when you hear it.

Hood open?
Inside car?
Outside car?
Matches engine RPM?

At startup, but disappears after it warms up?

One thing I've heard on my other car is a 'ticking' noise from the injectors. But that's usually very quiet. The other ticking noise which would be a bit louder is from a valve. IIRC, valve adjustments are part of the maintenance of this engine. I doubt that it would be covered under warrantee. It's not that hard to do, but it has to be done on a cold motor.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by edsonfire
i just noticed that my enigine is ticking a bit. real noticable when its cold, not so noticable when its hot but you can still hear it. my car only got 9000 miles on it and i baby it. never even really opened it up unless i was getting on the parkway. anyone else have this problem? what coould it be? i guessing my valves might need adjusted. do you think the warrenty will cover this?
Can you be a little more specific as to what you mean by ticking? Is it more like a vibration or an actual ticking sound? Is it only audible or can you actually feel the ticking through the steering wheel and other parts of the car?

The reason why I'm asking is because I have a similiar issue but it's more like a vibration than an actual ticking sound.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:11 PM
05' WDP A-SPEC

the ticking is definatly coming from the engine. ive heard the heat sheild rattling before on another tl and im sure its not that. my guess is that its either the injectors or the valves. the ticking matches the rpm's and can be heard with the hood shut, heard mainly on only one side of the car but can be heard from the other faintly. why does acura have to be so damn difficult with their service and warranty? what are my options if it is the valves or injectors that are ticking?
Old 03-03-2006, 02:16 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Okay.. I'm not sure we are talking the same thing.. but recently, I've been noticing a vibration whenever I start up my car in cold weather. The car just vibrates ALOT! I don't think it's getting worse or anything, but it's starting to bother me.. Don't know what to do..
Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
Originally Posted by willz822
Can you be a little more specific as to what you mean by ticking? Is it more like a vibration or an actual ticking sound? Is it only audible or can you actually feel the ticking through the steering wheel and other parts of the car?

The reason why I'm asking is because I have a similiar issue but it's more like a vibration than an actual ticking sound.

Hey, I think we have the same problem.. does your car vibrates only when you start the car in cold weather? DOesn't it go away after a couple of minutes of warm-up?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From the looks of things, the engine does not use lifters, but uses an adjustment for valve lash at the rocker arms. It would be easy to adjust the lash, but the question is why one/some valves would be out of spec so early.

I would not let it pass, since its not normal, and could be a sign of excessive wear on some valve train part, cam, cam follower, valve tip, etc.

I cant think of anything other than the valves that would tick.

Brett
Old 03-03-2006, 08:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JS + TL
Hey, I think we have the same problem.. does your car vibrates only when you start the car in cold weather? DOesn't it go away after a couple of minutes of warm-up?
The car still vibrates in warm weather when starting but not as bad. It doesn't completely go away when the car is warmed up. It's still slightly noticeable and I've pretty much gotten used to it.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by edsonfire
The warranty should cover any issue you are having with the engine. Take it to the dealer and have them check it out.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:02 PM
Iro Ridg .308

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
what's the mileage on the car?
Old 03-13-2006, 11:02 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sebounet2005
Good luck, i'm fighting with Acura for months now about that. I think it's an heatshield issue, but it's hard for them to understand that the sound is not normal. They said ''we test another TL from another customer and same noise'' Yes i know but the problem touches a lot of TL. The problem is the people that repair cars used to have mofidied 1995s Civic with a big sound system, so they are death and won't know what a good engine sound is.
acura service= normal