Engine skips at higher RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine skips at higher RPM's

changed all the coils and plugs ,ran tank dry and put mobile 93 in it, still skips usually after worm. any ideas? wide open throttle sounds lik eping?
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
welcome to the club
Old 01-10-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
please use better vocabulary to describe your problem.

what does it mean it skips?
does it literally mean it hops on two feet?
Does it miss a beat? when ever I see a hot girl my heart skips a beat.

has it always displayed this problem?
when did you notice it?
have you tried taking off the negative terminal to the battery for a few mins, resetting the ECU?
Any CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS?

ONLY at WOT?
What year is your car?
auto or six speed?
Done any work to it recently other than the plugs and coils?

Last edited by justnspace; 01-10-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:00 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by justnspace
please use better vocabulary to describe your problem.

what does it mean it skips?
does it literally mean it hops on two feet?
Does it miss a beat? when ever I see a hot girl my heart skips a beat.

has it always displayed this problem?
when did you notice it?
have you tried taking off the negative terminal to the battery for a few mins, resetting the ECU?
Any CHECK ENGINE LIGHTS?

ONLY at WOT?
What year is your car?
auto or six speed?
Done any work to it recently other than the plugs and coils?
its a 04 auto, skip i mean eng cuts out bad about 2 months ago had 2 coils changed ,feels ike same problemso i bought 4 more coils and all plugs. reset ecu, had codes read said all coils missfiring, thanks
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
has it ever been over-heated?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Is it rpm or throttle or both that cause the issue? Can you run the rpms up high in first gear with little throttle without it cutting out? Can you put it in manual mode and floor it at low (2800) rpms or so and it not cut out? If it requires both to cause the problem I would check fuel pressure at full throttle. If that's ok it might be an individual injector but probably not. Have you ever heard it start pinging right before it cuts out?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:18 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Is it rpm or throttle or both that cause the issue? Can you run the rpms up high in first gear with little throttle without it cutting out? Can you put it in manual mode and floor it at low (2800) rpms or so and it not cut out? If it requires both to cause the problem I would check fuel pressure at full throttle. If that's ok it might be an individual injector but probably not. Have you ever heard it start pinging right before it cuts out?
sounds like your on track, sorta sounds like the symptoms, gooing in to honda on tuesday, i did run techron just before this dissasster.
thanks
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ricknsxt
sounds like your on track, sorta sounds like the symptoms, gooing in to honda on tuesday, i did run techron just before this dissasster.
thanks
have also heard pinging right side
Old 01-12-2013, 11:39 PM
Team Owner

thanks
If you answer the questions I can help you. If its even remotely complex the dealer is going to throw parts at it at your expense because their diagnostic skills are usually very poor. If you can give me the information I can tell you what to tell the dealer to save a lot of time and money on misdiagnosing.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:43 PM
Team Owner

What those questions will answer is whether or not its a fuel volume issue. If you have pinging right before it cuts out and it requires both medium to high rpm with heavy throttle it's going to be a fuel issue. Diagnosing is as easy as monitoring fuel pressure at full throttle. Usually the car will run completely normal under easy driving.

On the flip side if its worse when cold it's likely a fuel problem. Ignition problems are more likely to show up when hot. Low compression will show up mostly at idle.

Last edited by I hate cars; 01-12-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:10 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by I hate cars
What those questions will answer is whether or not its a fuel volume issue. If you have pinging right before it cuts out and it requires both medium to high rpm with heavy throttle it's going to be a fuel issue. Diagnosing is as easy as monitoring fuel pressure at full throttle. Usually the car will run completely normal under easy driving.

On the flip side if its worse when cold it's likely a fuel problem. Ignition problems are more likely to show up when hot. Low compression will show up mostly at idle.
think if i buy one injector and keep changing cyl to cyl will help diag?
Old 01-13-2013, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

think if i buy one injector and keep changing cyl to cyl will help diag?
forget the changing one inj just seen their buried under plenum, took for test ride cold drives normal till i go quik to med to wot the check eng light goes on
Old 01-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Team Owner

You definitely don't want to swap one injector to each cylinder. I would honestly just get a cheap fuel pressure gauge with enough hose length and put it where you can see it OUTSIDE the car. You'll know instantly whether its the fuel system. My turbo car would idle fine but if I gave it any throttle it would cut out and even die if I didn't let off. The fuel pressure gauge would be at the usual 42psi and as soon as I hit the gas it would drop to 5psi. I don't know what size the pressure tap is on the TL but I'm sure there are others that do.

You have a CEL, that's good. Get the codes read and it should point you in the right direction. If you have a Lean code, that points even more toward the fuel system. If it has an all cylinders misfire code, that would still be useful even though you already know its cutting out because it eliminates an individual cylinder problem such as an injector or coil or plug. If it has a specific cylinder misfire code that would not point toward the fuel system as a whole but rather an individual injector or plug or coil, etc.

You need to be careful because if it is suffering from low fuel pressure it will ping and even though the chances are slim you can end up with engine damage from the pinging. The fuel tank is full, right? Did you use a higher than recommended concentration of Techron? Just for the future, no kind of cleaners are necessary ever in one of these cars, not in the oil or the fuel unless you had something wrong like bad fuel or a bad 02 over an extended time or very long oil change interval on a cheap oil. No seafoam or injector cleaner as long as you run premium fuel and a decent oil with reasonable change intervals. I just had my intake manifold and valve covers off for the valve adjustment at 113,000 miles a d there's absolutely nothing to clean, it was immaculate under the valve covers, the intake valves were PERFECTLY clean as if the engine had never been started, even the pistons had no carbon. I've never seen an engine this clean even at half the mileage. This was my first brand new car so it's the only car that I know it's entire history and its always bad great maintenance and premium fuel. I get a little too excited when talking about my recent valve adjustment but it makes me wholly confident the engine will easily outlast the rest of the car. The engine is no longer a concern. Anyway, my point is in the future don't use cleaners, the J series engines are great, no flaws that cause sludge or fuel system problems.

For now I would get the codes read for free at an autoparts store, make sure to write them down and unless you have an individual misfire code, buy a pressure gauge.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

thanks for your help, more than likely itl go to honda but il look into a fuel pressure gauge if its just a plug in model, so if its a injector is sticking more wide open or lesss? will the pressure be low or high for clogged injector. i work second shift so off to wotk i appreciate your help. just looked around under hood i dont see a test port bum. it sort of runs fine till you go wot or cruise the high way. other wise i would bring to acura dealer which is about 8 miles, dont want to chance it. does it cold or hot. again thanks tommorow il poke around and look for fuel rail lines. just a little freaked out. il let you know out come. i did have a full tank when i added by the way
thanks so much
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
You have to hook it up at the fuel rail on the tranny end. Large banjo bolt, 22mm iirc.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by makk
You have to hook it up at the fuel rail on the tranny end. Large banjo bolt, 22mm iirc.
just got car back from honda , they suspecte injectors and said they wanted to clean the inj screens, said go ahead got call back said it got rid of misfire but ws low on power.
said last cat had all the residue from first cat break up, they pulled it off and cleaned it out or punched it out, wasnt going to argue as new cat was 700.00.
well runs like a rocket and final bill was 489.00.
1m happy, thanks all, especially I HATE CARS member
Old 01-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Glad you got it fixed, hopefully that's the end of it.