Engine Mount Diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013 | 09:33 AM
Advanced

Engine Mount Diagnosis

Sorry guys, I don't know a whole lot about this, but I do suspect I have a bad mount. Vibration, hesitation on accel, and some odd shifting. A slight rattle sound. Pretty much all the symptoms I had before replacing the passenger side mount. It was great for a week but then came back, so I'm thinking another one went. How can I tell if they are actually bad? From the manual it says to have Acura test the control system, which OK that sucks because in Maine there's only really 1 Acura service, and they absolutely suck. They totally fucked up when they did the 105...left the passenger side mount loose, and it ended up breaking...another screw they left loose for a harness fell out completely....just absolute BS. Anyway, not really the point of the thread. Just looking for a way to determine if another mount is bad.

I've seen people recommend throttling and watching engine movement, which doesn't help me because I have no baseline to compare with. Rubber missing, maybe? I don't see any fluid leaks.

They also did the plugs, so I'm going to get in there and make sure their shitty ass wrenches didn't tighten the plugs enough as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. May just drive it to Mass and have the service department there go over it, but I'd rather just get better at doing the work myself.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-14-2013 | 09:55 AM
Advanced

Also forgot to mention I hear a thunk sometimes when I start the car from around the firewall, which makes me suspect its that mount.
Old 12-17-2013 | 02:10 PM
Here I come!

It's probably your rear mount. From what I've noticed, the rear mount makes the most difference when it's broken. The only other way to check it, is to physically inspect it.
The following users liked this post:
punkascii (12-19-2013)
Old 12-17-2013 | 02:34 PM
Racer

I just changed my mounts. My car had 130k miles of hard driving (autocrossing and generally spirited driving).

My car would make terrible noises going over the smallest of bumps. I would have to crawl over speed bumps, and even then it would make *thunk* noises. my mounts had been shot for quite some time, and I let it get worse and worse.

My side mount was in pieces, my front mount was in pieces, but my rear mount was actually alright. It wasn't torn or anything. The rubber looked stressed, but that's about it. In otherwords, I dont think its your rear mount.

When your engine mounts start making noise, you will know it. I mean, even when starting my car, I could literally hear the engine bouncing on the broken mounts.

If you're going to start replacing mounts, id go straight for the side and front (in your case, the front since you already replaced the side).
punkascii (12-19-2013)
Old 12-19-2013 | 06:30 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sutitan
I just changed my mounts. My car had 130k miles of hard driving (autocrossing and generally spirited driving).

My car would make terrible noises going over the smallest of bumps. I would have to crawl over speed bumps, and even then it would make *thunk* noises. my mounts had been shot for quite some time, and I let it get worse and worse.

My side mount was in pieces, my front mount was in pieces, but my rear mount was actually alright. It wasn't torn or anything. The rubber looked stressed, but that's about it. In otherwords, I dont think its your rear mount.

When your engine mounts start making noise, you will know it. I mean, even when starting my car, I could literally hear the engine bouncing on the broken mounts.

If you're going to start replacing mounts, id go straight for the side and front (in your case, the front since you already replaced the side).
yeah I definitely hear a rattle noise. Going to put it up on a lift tomorrow and get a better look from the bottom. The noise almost sounds like a bong hit. Had the same noise before the side one was replaced.
Old 12-19-2013 | 07:02 PM
Advanced

I just put the car in drive and held the brakes while givingg the engine a little rev. The Engine moves I would have to say a good inch or so up....could be the front after witnessing that. I don't really think it should move that much. Seriously it could be 2 inches! I'll try to post some video.
Old 12-20-2013 | 06:30 AM

^so, then have some one pull the mounts...
and inspect them
Old 12-21-2013 | 12:49 PM
Advanced

I had it up on the lift and the mechanic thinks they're fine. They also thought it was fine when my passenger side was hosed so whatever. I disagree
Old 12-21-2013 | 01:21 PM
TLX-S

Originally Posted by punkascii
I had it up on the lift and the mechanic thinks they're fine. They also thought it was fine when my passenger side was hosed so whatever. I disagree
you can't tell if they're fine just by looking at them, you have to remove them. Acura told me my passenger and front mount was fine, but i noticed excessive motor movement that didn't look right. i took out the mounts and both were shot.
Old 12-22-2013 | 10:32 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by wilzrsx
you can't tell if they're fine just by looking at them, you have to remove them. Acura told me my passenger and front mount was fine, but i noticed excessive motor movement that didn't look right. i took out the mounts and both were shot.
Yuh huh. That's exactly what I'm talking about. My problem is I'm in Maine. I either have to do it myself or go to Mass to have Acura take care of it. I've been to several mechanics up here and it's been nothing but a nightmare.

I moved up here and bought a Jeep GC. Brought it to a mechanic to look over before buying. Oh yeah, its great. A week after buying the control arm was F'ed so we brought it to another mechanic...yeah this isn't the original motor. Nice. Would have been nice to know that.

I had a 06 Frontier that was acting like the trany was going. Brought it to a different mechanic. Nope it's spark plugs. I've had bad plugs and wires..I know that feeling. A month later BAM, tranny done. MF I could have traded it in before spending close to 5k for a tranny on it.

I'm not totally inept, I can replace shit, its just I lack the diag skills if the issue isn't clear cut.

Then this guy saying I had no bad mounts. I go to NY for TG week and brought the car to Acura to fix tsb 07-060 and they're like oh btw you have a bad mount. Haha I've only been saying that to various mechanics for over a month. Got it back and it ran slammin.

I need to move out of this god foresaken hell hole.
Houston (12-23-2013)
Old 12-23-2013 | 02:09 AM

come to socal, where we have good weather and the most abundant car shops of all kinds. high competition = low prices
Old 12-24-2013 | 10:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
come to socal, where we have good weather and the most abundant car shops of all kinds. high competition = low prices
Haha I'd love to move to socal. Been wanting to do it for a long time. Living in Maine is like being in The Shining. But yep that's the deal with Acura down in NY...lots of competition. You F up, and the customer goes elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2013 | 11:25 PM
Advanced

can someone get me the part number for the 3rd gen acura tl front motor mount?? i cant seem to find it??
Old 12-31-2013 | 01:18 PM
Here I come!

Look here... http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/jsp/home.jsp

Choose your car, then click on "Engine Mounts".