Engine Light On

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009 | 07:15 PM
Intermediate

Engine Light On

Hey guys, so I've moved from LA out to IL these last 2 months.

So I'm driving and all of a sudden my engine light came on.
Everything seems to be fine, nothing sounds weird, no strange smells or any sort. Any idea why? O2 sensors?

So I guess I'll be studying for my exams at Mcgrath Acura. Anyone have experience with them?

The only incidence I've had with lights coming on is the SRS airbag light. It was on for a good 6 months and I didn't realize it was a problem. But the dealer reset the system saying that someone might have kicked a water bottle underneath the seat and set off a sensor.

Forgot to mention that its an 08

Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by skoolboi; 10-25-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-25-2009 | 07:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

CEL can be triggered by 100 different things, and if you can't hear, see, or smell anything abnormal, then the only way to find out is through an OBDII scanner.
CEL can initially be triggered by anything, and during the next few cycles ECM will check if the problem is reproduced from whatever set the CEL to begin with. If ECM doesnt see the prob again, it will reset the CEL, but if the problem persists, it will just keep the CEL on untill resolved. What im trying to tell you is, that if it just came on, but you don't notice anything abnormal, it could've been from anything, even from electrical power glitch. If it doesnt shut off within a few days, then you gotta try and resolve it.

We couldn't possibly tell you why your "Check Engine Light" suddenly came on, but i can tell you a whole bunch of things that would trigger it and nothing would seem abnormal.

Hey, maybe its from moving to IL? try moving back to LA, see if CEL goes off! lol j/k
Old 10-25-2009 | 08:42 PM
Intermediate

I tried turning the engine on and off a few times and it persisted so I guess I might as well put the warranty to use. Hopefully it doesn't have anything to do with the HID fogs that I had someone put in.

You have no idea, I miss LA, but school comes first. haha
Old 10-25-2009 | 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skoolboi
I tried turning the engine on and off a few times and it persisted so I guess I might as well put the warranty to use. Hopefully it doesn't have anything to do with the HID fogs that I had someone put in.

You have no idea, I miss LA, but school comes first. haha
turning it on and off doesnt do much...it has to be driven, loaded, at diff parameters and so on.... i doubt it would relate to HIDs...either way, if it doesnt go off in a few days...go to the dealer. You can also avoid the hassle, and swing by Autozone and get a free scan...and u might find out its nothing, and you just simply clear the code and ur good to go.