Electrical problem.....power cutting out while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Electrical problem.....power cutting out while driving

So this morning my car didnt really want to turn over. It started to crank but just sorta died. I tried again and it turned over, but it still sounded like a slight struggle. Let it run for a little, shut her down, then restarted without a problem.

Then on my way to work i noticed that the radio sound was cutting out. Like when an XM station goes dead for a second, but i was listening to the radio. It also happened with my Ipod connected to my USA Spec.

Fast forward to my drive home. It was busy, hot, and there was construction so there was a lot of stop and go. The radio issue was increasing and was happening every 10-20 seconds. Also, when i started to increase speed after only going like 5mph, it hesitated to shift and when it did it was kind of abrupt.

Almost home, stopped at a light, the radio continued to do the same thing. The shifting got rougher, really only from a complete stop, and all my dash lights flashed on and off like twice. I shut all powered items off and unplugged all 12v cables. I continued my drive and then i see some of my warning lights on. Only a few came one, one of them being the VSA light and i think there were a few more. I will check my manual and try to find the others that came on, but thats all i can remember right now because it happened very quick. The warning lights didnt stay on long, but the dash lights flashed on and off another one or two more times. I was able to get home and i was able to avoid any unnecessay stops which i think was at least aiding in the issue.

What i do know: I am using the 21lb Braille battery. The last time i went to the dealership they said the battery was giving off very little juice and it should be replaced. It was like 97CCA or something silly. Right after i took it to an Autozone and they said both the battery and alternator were fine. And up until this point i havent had any issues with the electrical system.

My issues: I am actually at my girlfriends house which is an hour away from mine, and any tools and my stock battery are also there.

Any thoughts, suggestions, help? i thought i heard others talk about thier power cutting out while driving, but i cant remember what the outcome was.
Old 04-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
did you have your windshield replaced recently?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:36 PM
Full of water...

haha, no, why?
Old 04-24-2009, 06:38 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
double check that the battery connections are tight and making a good connection to the battery terminals with no corrosion buildup.You may also want to make sure that the alternator electrical connections are secure.
Old 04-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Full of water...

actually, i did have it replaced but it was like 1.5yrs ago. also, do these problems sound like it could be the battery or alternator, or something else?
Old 04-24-2009, 07:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
I though it might have been a water leak that might have gotten to the multiplex unit. Check the battery terminals for build up and clean if necessary. Also make sure they are tight.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Full of water...

battery is clean and connections are good.
Old 04-24-2009, 09:11 PM
Full of water...

i hate these types of issues. i think i would prefer it to just not start, but having issues that can leave me stranded just sucks.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:42 AM
Full of water...

one more thing, for the past week or so, everytime i unlock my car and open the door, i hear that double beep that happens when the car readjusts the memory setting. at least i think thats the only times it happens. i think usually there is no beep unless one of the settings have been changed, correct? not that this helps, its just another sign that there is a power issue...
Old 04-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Full of water...

update:

ok, so i was able to get my stock battery put back in and i took it for a 60min ride under no load. no problems detected except my driver door automatic window feature was no longer working. it would open and close, but i had to hold it in order for it work. i came back and parked it for 10min or so and then i took off for home(i was still at my girlfriends at this point). but now, the automatic window was working. weird! anywho, i drove 90% with only the radio and the remaining 10% with everything on. i wanted to check for any obvious problems. still no issues. so as of now, i am going to blame it on the battery.

Question: would a bigger alternator fix this battery killing issue?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:31 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by blkaspec
ok, so i was able to get my stock battery put back in and i took it for a 60min ride under no load. no problems detected except my driver door automatic window feature was no longer working. it would open and close, but i had to hold it in order for it work. i came back and parked it for 10min or so and then i took off for home(i was still at my girlfriends at this point). but now, the automatic window was working. weird! anywho, i drove 90% with only the radio and the remaining 10% with everything on. i wanted to check for any obvious problems. still no issues. so as of now, i am going to blame it on the battery.

Question: would a bigger alternator fix this battery killing issue?
per the windows.. you need to reset them. Hold down the switch for ~5secs and then Push up the switch for ~5secs.

Do you have a system? I'd get a Optima Yellowtop.. or the cheap imitation - Duralast Gold Yellowtop.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Majofo
per the windows.. you need to reset them. Hold down the switch for ~5secs and then Push up the switch for ~5secs.

Do you have a system? I'd get a Optima Yellowtop.. or the cheap imitation - Duralast Gold Yellowtop.

Thanks, next time this happens i will know what to do. They did fix themselves once i restarted the car a second time, but it did freak me out for a little.

No system. I swapped out to the Braille because i thought it would be an upgrade in power as well as a reduction in weight, but as of now it was a wasted $200. I am going to attempt a return/exchange/refund, but we will see if that works.

Would an upgrade of the alternator help this issue?
Old 04-27-2009, 01:06 PM

You had the charging system checked out right? If the battery is getting good juice then it's probably your battery. I'd return your Braille and get a new one.

You should go back and have them check it again. I'd also check the belt to make sure it has good tension and make sure it's in good shape. I wouldn't worry about the alternator unless the check shows a low load to your battery.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:51 PM
Full of water...

I had it checked a few weeks ago after my dealership told me my Braille was in need of life support. I went to Autozone and they said both the battery and charging system were fine. So, i dont know. I do plan on making another trip to the dealership soon and hopefully they can re-check everything out, including the belt. I had a "new" engine installed in Dec after i blew a piston, i also had them replace the timing belt while they were at it so i would assume they would have double checked everything, but making assumptions is never a good thing.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by blkaspec
I had it checked a few weeks ago after my dealership told me my Braille was in need of life support. I went to Autozone and they said both the battery and charging system were fine. So, i dont know. I do plan on making another trip to the dealership soon and hopefully they can re-check everything out, including the belt. I had a "new" engine installed in Dec after i blew a piston, i also had them replace the timing belt while they were at it so i would assume they would have double checked everything, but making assumptions is never a good thing.
holy crap.. hydrolock? I'm not a 100% but I believe when they check the charging system it only verifies load to the battery and not battery condition / ability to hold charge.. but if the battery wasn't taking a charge then I'm sure it would fail. If the drive belt and alternator pulley look okay and the belt system sounds fine I would check the battery and alternator wires. Be careful when messing with the alternator to unplug the battery. My buddy and I were replacing the alternator on my RX300 and forgot to unplug the battery.. it blew the 140A fuse .. luckily the fuse did its job and everything was okay, but had to shelve out $40 for a new one. I'd get in there and make sure all the connections are tight. If it keeps occuring I'd replace the wires and upgrade the lines to a lower gauge depending on the current setup.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Full of water...

Originally Posted by Majofo
holy crap.. hydrolock? I'm not a 100% but I believe when they check the charging system it only verifies load to the battery and not battery condition / ability to hold charge.. but if the battery wasn't taking a charge then I'm sure it would fail. If the drive belt and alternator pulley look okay and the belt system sounds fine I would check the battery and alternator wires. Be careful when messing with the alternator to unplug the battery. My buddy and I were replacing the alternator on my RX300 and forgot to unplug the battery.. it blew the 140A fuse .. luckily the fuse did its job and everything was okay, but had to shelve out $40 for a new one. I'd get in there and make sure all the connections are tight. If it keeps occuring I'd replace the wires and upgrade the lines to a lower gauge depending on the current setup.
yeah! i hit a very deep and long puddle doing about 40mph, not good. it was late and there were no street lights so it totally caught me off guard. it kept driving for a few months but eventually blew a piston through the back of the block.

thanks for the help and suggestions! i will check things out after work and then go from there.