Driver Side CV Axle Just Snapped...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 04:42 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by peewizzle
I just hit 190k miles on car.

It drives no different in comparison to before doing the axle, which is why I was so surprised it happened. There was no vibration or wobble beforehand, though clicking was present, and still present on the right side, and still no vibration or wobble....
That axle was probably weakened over years and finally just snapped.

The clicking probably means the joint/s are going on the other side. Are the boots intact? And yeah, lowering probably puts additional strain on the joints, not sure about the shaft itself.
Old 01-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
The other side is same story, no vibration, no wobble, boots are mint and no leaks. I guess it make sense that lowering would weaken things over time and New England potholes don't help the matter either. Moisture getting caught underneath the damper allowing nature to do its thing also makes a lot of sense. Hopefully weather will warm up and I can do the passenger side.

This is the first time an axle has snapped on me. Usually on all my cars if clicking is heard, I'll change them but the cold has been hindering me recently.

Hope this thread motivates other people not to be a procrastinator like me haha i took a gamble waiting and lost
Old 01-09-2017, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd say it is definitely dirt and moisture getting trapped under that damper. On my 02TLs I had the fuel line rot thru on the firewall due to a similiar situation. There is a rubber piece mounted to the firewall and the fuel lines run thru it. Dirt/salt/moisture kept it wet thru the years into the metal lines rotted thru
Old 01-09-2017, 07:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
I'd say it is definitely dirt and moisture getting trapped under that damper. On my 02TLs I had the fuel line rot thru on the firewall due to a similiar situation. There is a rubber piece mounted to the firewall and the fuel lines run thru it. Dirt/salt/moisture kept it wet thru the years until the metal lines rotted thru
Old 01-09-2017, 08:42 PM
contemplating future mods

Received 132 Likes on 94 Posts
I decided to bite the bullet... $640 for both axles shipped from Raxles. Sadly, they do not honor a core charge when dealing with cars in the northeast... I plan on keeping this car forever so for me, it is worth the investment
Old 01-09-2017, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 191 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
thank you, yea i'm going to take this to a local independent shop to do this. not even going to mess with it haha. does the intermediate shaft need to be replaced as well? doesn't seem like it should. what about other stuff while they are in there (seals, etc)?

i'll supply a GM friction modified bottl for them to use to fill up the spilled fluid. do you know how much fluid needs to be replaced? will a quarter bottle be ok? full bottle? (i have a quarter bottle laying around)
not necessarily but you can check the bearing which is the only failure point.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,158 Likes on 909 Posts
the engineer in my always wants to know details so i reached out to raxles for more info on their product and this is what they said:

...joints? Are they new parts or are they oem parts just hardened?

New, our design too!

Also, is the rest of the axle exactly like OEM or are the shafts stronger/hardened/treated at all?

Exactly the same, the shafts themselves need no strengthening.

are the cores used inspected for any rust to ensure there is no degradation of the shaft around the damper

We NEVER use any with ANY rust.

Are the dampers on both axles (right and left)?

Yep!
The following users liked this post:
peewizzle (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Morrissey25
I decided to bite the bullet... $640 for both axles shipped from Raxles. Sadly, they do not honor a core charge when dealing with cars in the northeast... I plan on keeping this car forever so for me, it is worth the investment
aww dang that stinks that core is non refundable on axle from northeast but it's understandable and at least that's proof they're putting out a quality product. hopefully i can set aside some $$ for a set of raxles in the future
Old 01-10-2017, 12:10 PM
Race Director

Way too much for me. Majofo has over 100K on the GSPs. That's good enough for me If I was slammed, I might consider Raxles...

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post15931634
Old 01-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
This has me worried as well. Not sure if it's a sign of mine going bad, but I hear like 3 little clicks only on the first left turn when I leave for work in the morning, and then nothing else after. If it's going bad, am I supposed to hear clicks happening all the time?
Old 01-10-2017, 03:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jimmyfu
This has me worried as well. Not sure if it's a sign of mine going bad, but I hear like 3 little clicks only on the first left turn when I leave for work in the morning, and then nothing else after. If it's going bad, am I supposed to hear clicks happening all the time?
When mine first started clicking, it only happened when it was cold in the mornings. This was about 2 months ago, so New England chill was starting to set in.

Then it went from only a few clicks when turning from a cold start, to just about every other turn now no matter if warm or cold.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:10 AM
Safety Car

just got a quote of 130 total labor to replace both axles (they are a well known honda/acura shop with great prices and allow you to bring your own parts)...to me that's completely worth my time haha.

i'm also going to order the PCI compliance bushings (spherical) and have those pressed in while they are in there.

appt is in 2 weeks but i will update with some pics of the raxles when i get them
Old 01-11-2017, 11:46 AM
Race Director

^^^^ Damn, for $130 I'd also pay someone to do this work. That's a very good deal

And I'm in for your review of the PCI bushings.....
Old 01-12-2017, 07:12 AM

just got a quote of 130 total labor to replace both axles (they are a well known honda/acura shop with great prices and allow you to bring your own parts)...to me that's completely worth my time haha.

i'm also going to order the PCI compliance bushings (spherical) and have those pressed in while they are in there.

appt is in 2 weeks but i will update with some pics of the raxles when i get them
My Raxles should be delivered to the shop today and hopefully they will be installed by the weekend.

The PCI bushings are great! For this driver, the bushings let feel the road more and the front end just feels a tighter and more planted. I'm in for your review as well
Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts

That's a fantastic price IMO!
Dang what shop is that? I'm still looking for a decent mechanic to get stuff done. Do they do Timing Belts?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thoiboi
That's a fantastic price IMO!
Dang what shop is that? I'm still looking for a decent mechanic to get stuff done. Do they do Timing Belts?
it's a place called mira mesa auto techs...honest, good prices, and they let you bring your own parts.

they did my 105k service (TB, water pump, thermostat, etc) and they were by far the best price around. i bought the aisin kit and just brought it to them. i forget what i paid but it was cheaper than anywhere else for sure. i highly recommend them!

i've probably given them about 10 customers from work/friends/TL owners. i take them any work that i either don't have time for or can't do on my own (damn that crank pulley bolt!)
Old 01-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Just picked my car up from the shop... $190 for labor. My mechanic was really impressed with the Raxles axles. He said that they were nice and beefy... A solid product!

$130 sounds like an amazing price. Either way, I'm glad to have my baby back
Old 01-12-2017, 03:53 PM
Safety Car

Just picked my car up from the shop... $190 for labor. My mechanic was really impressed with the Raxles axles. He said that they were nice and beefy... A solid product!

glad to hear it's going well! hope you have a long car life ahead without any axle issues. i forget, are you lowered at all? if so how much?

you got your raxles so quick! they are still building mine, i guess they said it's hard to come by the ones for manual cars. i'm hoping they ship out on monday (they said it takes about a week to arrive to california). good thing my issue wasn't urgent like yours or i would be car-less for work
Morrissey25 (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Race Director

Not to burst your bubble, but Raxles are just used OEM axles with rebuilt joints. Visually, they can't be any more"beefier" than OEM. Not really sure what the mechanic was basing his statement on.

Congrats on the purchase and install! They should give you years of good service.
Old 01-13-2017, 09:12 AM
Senior Moderator

it's a place called mira mesa auto techs...honest, good prices, and they let you bring your own parts.

they did my 105k service (TB, water pump, thermostat, etc) and they were by far the best price around. i bought the aisin kit and just brought it to them. i forget what i paid but it was cheaper than anywhere else for sure. i highly recommend them!

i've probably given them about 10 customers from work/friends/TL owners. i take them any work that i either don't have time for or can't do on my own (damn that crank pulley bolt!)
:sweet: thanks!! Bookmarked for future
Old 01-13-2017, 10:35 PM

glad to hear it's going well! hope you have a long car life ahead without any axle issues. i forget, are you lowered at all? if so how much?

you got your raxles so quick! they are still building mine, i guess they said it's hard to come by the ones for manual cars. i'm hoping they ship out on monday (they said it takes about a week to arrive to california). good thing my issue wasn't urgent like yours or i would be car-less for work
I am lowered about 2" but I think that the major culprit for the failure is the harsh winters here in NY. I did hear that the MT guys have a harder time sourcing the axles.

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Not to burst your bubble, but Raxles are just used OEM axles with rebuilt joints. Visually, they can't be any more"beefier" than OEM. Not really sure what the mechanic was basing his statement on.

Congrats on the purchase and install! They should give you years of good service.
I'm sure that he was referring the quality of the Raxles axles to non OEM axles. They had an 04 TL with the same axle break last month and they replaced the axle with a "generic/cheaper" axle. I am sure that he was making a comparison between the two different replacements
Old 01-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Racer

Just ordered my raxles today too! Marty is a super friendly guy. You wouldn't happen to know any good shops up a little more north in the bay area would you...?
Old 01-16-2017, 02:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Just ordered my raxles today too! Marty is a super friendly guy. You wouldn't happen to know any good shops up a little more north in the bay area would you...?
Little north ! ?! Bay area is 8 hours from SD
Old 01-16-2017, 09:55 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Little north ! ?! Bay area is 8 hours from SD
8 hours ain't that far!
Old 01-16-2017, 10:53 PM
Senior Moderator

8 hours ain't that far!
Then drive it down to this shop he recommended
sockr1 (01-17-2017)
Old 01-19-2017, 01:05 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
$130.. that's a go.

Way too much for me. Majofo has over 100K on the GSPs. That's good enough for me If I was slammed, I might consider Raxles...

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g.../#post15931634
Yep, there's mixed reviews online, but my GSPs are holding up very well.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Safety Car

just wanted to provide an update, got my raxles in on monday and the car went into the shop on tuesday. they had a minor hiccup with the install (squeaking from the right raxle) but after some highway driving i think it's all gone away now. murphy's law of course, the shop said they've installed hundreds of axles and never had one squeak during the test drive and raxles said they've never had one report of a squeak either...lucky me. but i think it's all gone now anyway haha.

the raxles look extremely good and i feel completely confident driving now with the improved joints and grease. before, i had major shaking and wobbling at acceleration around 50 or so, but what i didn't realize is that i had way more vibrations than i should have at all speeds and rpms...my car is butter smooth now and it feels like a new car, i didn't realize how bad my axles were making my ride quality. even my wife said my car feels like it's on skates now.

i also got the PCI/Fastline compliance spherical bushings put in and that may also account for the smoothness, but i love them so far. if i got into my car without knowing they were in there, i wouldn't jump to the conclusion that they were in there. steering is MUCH tighter and smoother, you do feel more "jolts" when you hit a bott's dot or a deep crack in the road, but it really isn't that bad. to me it's completely worth the upgrade.

i paid 130 for the axle installation and 130 for the compliance bushing installation, pretty good price overall.

final conclusion: i highly recommend raxles and also the PCI/Fastline compliance bushings, my car feels new again!!

(i'll do a separate write up/review of the bushings in another thread)
Old 01-27-2017, 05:20 PM
Race Director

You sure the squeaking wasn't coming from one/both of the bushings?
Old 01-27-2017, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

You sure the squeaking wasn't coming from one/both of the bushings?
no chance. It squeaked on every wheel rotation on the rack. The shop said it for sure was the right axle and nothing else. Moot point now I believe since I don't hear it anymore
Old 02-01-2017, 10:54 AM
Safety Car

here's my review thread on the raxles

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-t...raxles-954307/

i'll do a review later today on the PCI compliance bearings and post that link later
Old 02-01-2017, 02:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
what are the alternatives?

I read it on the other thread that many used GSP from advance auto.

Advance Auto Parts: Search Results for axle shafts

but that's all they carry and i don't see any gsp. Please advise.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
Best CV Axle Parts for Cars, Trucks & SUVs

Not sure how how the Duralast perform.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

PCI bearings review: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-t...cement-954321/
Old 02-01-2017, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have changed both mine on my TL-S 6MT.

I got OEM, only reason being that after contacting Raxles they informed me they do not have them for the 6 Speed.

When i first contacted raxles they said they had them. After asking some clarifying questions about the 6MT being different, they confirmed that I was right and they actually do not have the axle for 6MT,

Hence why i had to go with OEM. Also, dampers are on OEM to dampen noise and vibrations (also on raxles, but not any other replacements i've seen),

Now are they needed? No. But if the axle shaft is slightly imbalanced you will feel it much more on a axle without the dampers, so it provides a buffer for the variability that can occur in the manufacturing process
Old 02-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Racer

Just got these replaced with Raxles today, along with changing the compliance bushings (oem). One of the bushings was torn, but the shop didn't keep track of which one. Could failure of the bushings cause the axle to start failing too? At this point I'm not sure if the clicking I heard while turning was because of a compliance bushing or an issue with the axle =\
Old 07-29-2018, 07:58 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 TL Broken Axel at 94K miles

Driver side axel broke at just 94K miles (though car is 10 years old). I don't drive the car hard (brakes lasted 87K). That seems absurdly early to me. Anyone else have an axel go with that few miles? Second question is whether I should replace the passenger side as well? Seems like it may be a ticking time bomb waiting to strand me as the two front axels should have experienced same conditions. I guess I was lucky because it happened two days before taking my daughter on an 800 mile round trip out of state. Got it fixed in time to take it but decided to get a rental instead because I don't know if I should trust the other front axel. Would love some input on this.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:05 AM
Race Director

Hard to know for sure, but the other axle is probably fine. My 04 6MT is approaching 300K miles on the original axles. Why some axles fail earlier than others is anyone's guess..

In the past, I've read a lot of reports where the OEM axle snapped at the harmonic balancer location. Is that where yours snapped?
jmrcincy (07-31-2018)
Old 07-29-2018, 09:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I think that the issue is also related to time versus miles. I know that these are prone to rusting out and had to replace left axle and right half shaft around the 150,000/190,000 mile marks but at 6 and 8 years.
I strongly recommend Acura axle since my dealer initially used some other brand and we had repeating failure of the shaft to mate to transmission. Finally noticed that they were not replacing with original part and insisted that they do. No problems since.
Old 07-29-2018, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Replace both and be worry free for that component for many more years
Old 07-31-2018, 06:55 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your point makes alot of sense. I was thinking in terms of miles and 94K isn't very many. But if the issue is rust weakening the axle, then the mileage is less important and time is probably the bigger factor. Thanks for the input.