Drive Belt Peeling!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 08:43 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Drive Belt Peeling!

Just had our 04 drive belt replaced after only 13K miles & 9 months.

Was out driving the other day when we heard a flapping sound. Stopped & looked under the hood (thought it might be an animal). Saw that the drive belt was peeling. Started to take it to the dealer, but smelled burning rubber. Pulled over & saw more belt peeling. Called the 800 #. About 30 min later, flat bed pulled up & took us to the dealer. Time in shop was about 45 min. No loaner needed.

Nally Acura here in Atlanta (Marietta) did a great job. Neither the service manager or I have ever saw a belt peel in layers.

John
Atlanta
Old 06-03-2005, 09:00 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

Dude this is wierd I was about to start a new thread when I read yours. OK so I was on a 1200 mile trip over the long weekend and at one of the stops I just opened the hood (no reasone at all, just felt like it).

If you are facing the engine my belt on the Left hand side; it is the only one visible from a slight angle (one right next to the motor, could be the drive belt) had a straight line of tear in the center. Looked like someone put a sharp object grinding on it while it was moving. Although I didnt smell anything neither is the tear very deep (atleast from my initial analysis at the time) but I just thought it was wierd. Now that you mentioned I am going to make an appointment with the dealer to get it checked out.

Has anyone else had this issue ? I would recommend people check thier belts out...I might post a picture after the weekend...

BTW, I too have an 04/AT
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cheap belts....
Old 06-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mickey3c
cheap belts....
Appreciate the responce but I dont know how that is anwsering the question? The question was Has anyone else had this issue ?...

Are you saying that they are using cheap belts so they can invite people back into the dealership for a free change?

Not trying to pick on you but it just seems like most of the people are posting 2 word comments on threads just to increase their post counts or something...
Old 06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

I just encountered this problem yesterday. About 2 blocks from my house, I started hearing this thumping noise from somewhere. I thought I had picked up something from the road and it was slapping against the wheel well, but it kept making noise when I stopped in my drive.

I popped the hood and saw something flapping around on the belt on the left side of the engine. I stopped the engine to check things out but I couldn't see anything. I had to click the starter several times to get the belt around to a spot that I could see the problem. There was about a two inch section of the outer skin that had peeled away. I pulled on it and it peeled back very easily. I spent about 20 minutes clicking the starter over and over so I could peel the skin off the entire belt so it wouldn't flap against anything. Started the car up and it sounded fine. Since it was just the outer skin of the belt, I wasn't too worried about it breaking.

I drove it to the dealer this morning (about 4 miles away), explained what happened and asked if this was something that needed to be fixed immediately. They checked it out and said that it would be OK for today. They wanted me to bring it back in tomorrow because they needed to overnight the belt into the shop because they didn't stock any. I was in and out of the Dealership in under 30 minutes. They arrranged for a loaner for tomorrow and even washed the car while I waited - all in about 25 minutes without an appointment or a phone call beforehand.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:16 PM
05 BMW 745i, 07 BMW 335i

Wink

Originally Posted by scrb09
Appreciate the responce but I dont know how that is anwsering the question? The question was Has anyone else had this issue ?...

Are you saying that they are using cheap belts so they can invite people back into the dealership for a free change?

Not trying to pick on you but it just seems like most of the people are posting 2 word comments on threads just to increase their post counts or something...

very cheap belts............