Door Locks with key in ignition. Locking Myself Out of Car.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Door Locks with key in ignition. Locking Myself Out of Car.

So I've been locked outside of my 04 TL with it running twice in the past 2 weeks. Here's whats going on:

-Doors will lock right after shutting the door. This includes with the key in ignition running or not or key out of ignition.

-Despite adjusting settings in the MID this still happens.

-I've noticed my driver mirror also does not adjust automatically while in reverse (not sure if that is related or not).

-Items to note: Recently replaced alternator. Car was recently painted. I pulled the driver front door panel to make sure everything was connected properly.

Any ideas? I thought I've heard someone mention a door lock actuator being the culprit although I'd like to confirm.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by nisif
So I've been locked outside of my 04 TL with it running twice in the past 2 weeks. Here's whats going on:

-Doors will lock right after shutting the door. This includes with the key in ignition running or not or key out of ignition.

-Despite adjusting settings in the MID this still happens.

-I've noticed my driver mirror also does not adjust automatically while in reverse (not sure if that is related or not).

-Items to note: Recently replaced alternator. Car was recently painted. I pulled the driver front door panel to make sure everything was connected properly.

Any ideas? I thought I've heard someone mention a door lock actuator being the culprit although I'd like to confirm.
-Do you have an aftermarket alarm? note: Separate keyfob is not always necessary as there are factory add-on modules

-Are you sure you have the switch set to the left and not right or center? Also have you checked your fuses? Not just the one dedicated to what you're checking but ALL the fuses. Sometimes one circuit feeds another so the blown fuse may be in a different spot than what you would expect
Old 12-14-2012, 06:00 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by LockDots
-Do you have an aftermarket alarm? note: Separate keyfob is not always necessary as there are factory add-on modules

-Are you sure you have the switch set to the left and not right or center? Also have you checked your fuses? Not just the one dedicated to what you're checking but ALL the fuses. Sometimes one circuit feeds another so the blown fuse may be in a different spot than what you would expect

No, the car only has the factory alarm. There are no add-ons.

Not sure which switch you're referring to although all settings in MID are set so there's no auto lock function and 90 sec delay for the latter option.
Again, the doors lock about 3 or 4 seconds after shutting the door.

I haven't checked all the fuses although I'll take a look tonight and report back.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:09 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
Why are you getting out of the car and leaving it running? Maybe turn the car off when you get out or don't leave the key in the ignition.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:13 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
If my keys in the ignition and i try to close the door with it locked, it automatically unlocks, if theres no key, it just stays locked.
Old 12-15-2012, 07:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 340 Likes on 278 Posts

No, the car only has the factory alarm. There are no add-ons.

Not sure which switch you're referring to although all settings in MID are set so there's no auto lock function and 90 sec delay for the latter option.
Again, the doors lock about 3 or 4 seconds after shutting the door.

I haven't checked all the fuses although I'll take a look tonight and report back.
He's referring to your mirrors. If the switch used to adjust the mirrors is in the center position, neither mirror will tilt. Move it to whichever side you want to tilt while in reverse.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:26 PM
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts
try the setting in the mid or going to an acura dealer and talking to a service tech
Old 12-15-2012, 11:43 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts
The doors should lock when shifting into gear or out of park.
I would take it to a service dealer.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:24 AM
Engineer in Training

Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by 1black_seven
that depends on your MID settings
Old 12-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
It's a failed driver's door lock actuator. the actuator is seeing a false input of a requested lock action. replace the door lock actuator and it will go back to normal. The DPMS system will not work properly when portions of this system arent operating correctly hence your mirror not adjusting down while in reverse.
The following users liked this post:
nisif (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:28 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
....Items to note: Recently replaced alternator. Car was recently painted. I pulled the driver front door panel to make sure everything was connected properly....
Originally Posted by fabricator
It's a failed driver's door lock actuator. the actuator is seeing a false input of a requested lock action. replace the door lock actuator and it will go back to normal. The DPMS system will not work properly when portions of this system arent operating correctly hence your mirror not adjusting down while in reverse.
Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!!!! But I'm wondering if the actuator is jammed rather than faulty???

Edit: NVM, his doors are locking so physical actions of actuator are good but it appears it's not sending the appropriate signals.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 12-16-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
The following users liked this post:
nisif (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by A SiQ TL
He's referring to your mirrors. If the switch used to adjust the mirrors is in the center position, neither mirror will tilt. Move it to whichever side you want to tilt while in reverse.
Good to know, I actually prefer that they don't move while in reverse.

Originally Posted by fabricator
Great, thanks. I will post after I install the replacement.
Old 12-16-2012, 04:24 PM
Cruisin'

For reference the OEM part number for the front driver's side door lock actuator is: 72155-SDA-A01

JIC anyone else runs along this and has the same issue.
Old 12-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Cruisin'

After ordering the actuator and preparing it for install I found the problem. It was not a faulty actuator causing the issue. There are two wiring clips that connect to the actuator, a 2 pin and a 3 pin plug. One of the wires leading into the 3 pin was overstretched due to the painter leaving the weight of the door panel on the harness. The wire was pulled slightly from the plug resulting in an intermittent connection.

I soldered an identical 3 pin plug to harness with more slack in the wire and the door locks now function as they should.

Well if anybody needs an driver front door lock actuator I have a brand new one, never installed, for a fair price. Pm or email me.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:44 PM
5th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice to know about the MID settings, glad I ran across this topic. I was wondering why the doors weren't locking on a luxury car when my mom's Buick does and a neighbors 08 TL will.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:55 PM
KCCO

Received 192 Likes on 173 Posts
Good topic.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
glad you found the fix. if my actuator ever breaks i'll hit you up
Old 01-02-2017, 02:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 1black_seven
I have an 06 TL and when I got the car driving it the doors would lock and taking the key out of the ignition the doors would unlock. Swapping out a non-working Nav screen and radio for a new one this feature stopped working! It still locks when shifting in to drive but taking the key out the doors won't unlock automatically anymore. We've recently programmed a new fob with the car and I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or the Nav replacement or what. But I would like it to unlock again. Currently I have to manually unlock it to get out of the car.

Any fixes? Thanks!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:54 AM
Advanced

that depends on your MID settings
What are MID settings?
Old 01-02-2017, 03:06 AM
Advanced

Not sure if it's related but the memory seat settings are not working. The lights don't even come on. I'll have to Check the fuses. We replaced the passenger seat and not sure if that has anything to do with it. Or the new key fob. Or putting in the new stereo and Nav. I'm thinking after reading this thread the actuator needs replacing or the pin's are mixed as stated above.

I went in to Acura to get the Nav code for the new screen and the service/parts staffer said it sounded like a settings error or they were needing adjustments. Recently I purchased and sold a Mercedes e320 and replacing the battery the computer needed to be replaced. After replacing it the computer needed to be reset, a $67 fix through the dealership. Avoiding paying the ridiculous fee I searched on YouTube and found the steps in resetting it. Turning the key in the ignition on click, pressing down on the window button all the way and holding it down for 3 seconds and then holding it up all the way choosing it and holding for 3 seconds. Doing that to all 4 windows sync'd the one touch window feature. Same with the sun roof, holding it open then closed. Moving the seat forward then back, the head rest up and then down. And then turning the wheel 3 times to the right and 3 times to the left reset the telescopic steering wheel feature.

I was wondering in replacing the battery in the Acura if something like this was required to get the memory seat features to work and the door to lock in drive and unlock when taking the key out of the ignition.