Do the dashboard creaks go away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the dashboard creaks go away?

I've driven my '06 for about 400 miles now. The dash has been creaking and ticking since about day 1 (sounds like its coming from around the nav screen). Has anyone else noticed it, and does it do away after things "loosen up" a bit?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:40 PM
4th Gear

I just turned 1,000 miles on my TL and don't have any creaks coming from the dash. You should probably have it looked at when in for service.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RRPHiggs
I just turned 1,000 miles on my TL and don't have any creaks coming from the dash. You should probably have it looked at when in for service.
It is so minor, I don't think I'd bother having them look at it. I was just curious if all the new cars do it - I guess not.

It was worse when the car was under 20 miles (i.e.: for the first 10 miles I had it). With some very noticeable creaking on the passenger side. That seems to have gone away (or is so infrequent that it does't bother me). However, the dash still creaks a little in the center - really only an issue if I listen for it ...

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Way Fast Whitey

Your service guys can felt the hell out of it. My squeaks were coming from my center speaker in the dash.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:56 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Awood,
Is this an auto or stick? I initially thought the noise was coming from the Nav area but many had minor creaks etc. from the shifter gate area. Basically between the brushed aluminum looking shifter gate and the wood trim. I just applied a little 3M silicone while others had success with their dealer installing some felt etc. under the gate. The (some) entire glove box enclosure/housing has issues with creaking as well.. My fight with that one continues as we speak...

Many "plastics" and interior pieces that tick/creak initially will rub off the edges so to speak over time and cease. Definitely try to narrow down exactly where the noise is coming from before your dealer gets involved... Isolating it for them will reduce the risk of tearing into an area that's not required...

Good luck
Old 03-21-2006, 04:32 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by awood
I've driven my '06 for about 400 miles now. The dash has been creaking and ticking since about day 1 (sounds like its coming from around the nav screen). Has anyone else noticed it, and does it do away after things "loosen up" a bit?

Thanks!
I have an 06 5AT Navi and got exactly the same problem. The first rattle seems to be coming from the area around the navi and the shifter, the second one seems to be coming from the rear door or dashboard. My car has 700 miles on it and I plan to take care of these issues during my first maintenance visit.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:09 PM
Instructor

I'm up to 900 miles now, and the creaks and ticking have been consistent. Looks like I may an issue
Old 02-28-2007, 07:24 AM
Instructor

Well, at 10,000 miles most of the rattles are gone. Still, they annoyed me for the better part of a year.
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
Awood,
Is this an auto or stick? I initially thought the noise was coming from the Nav area but many had minor creaks etc. from the shifter gate area. Basically between the brushed aluminum looking shifter gate and the wood trim. I just applied a little 3M silicone while others had success with their dealer installing some felt etc. under the gate. The (some) entire glove box enclosure/housing has issues with creaking as well.. My fight with that one continues as we speak...

Many "plastics" and interior pieces that tick/creak initially will rub off the edges so to speak over time and cease. Definitely try to narrow down exactly where the noise is coming from before your dealer gets involved... Isolating it for them will reduce the risk of tearing into an area that's not required...

Good luck
Same thing happen with mines. Barely have 400 miles on it and sounded like a creaking was coming from the Nav. Ended up holding down the shifter plate and it stopped. Also the same for the center speaker.

Now I'm starting to hear the visors and top of the doors rattle once in a while
Old 02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by rubaduckie
Same thing happen with mines. Barely have 400 miles on it and sounded like a creaking was coming from the Nav. Ended up holding down the shifter plate and it stopped. Also the same for the center speaker.

Put some light foam over that shifter gate and press it back on, thats what i did. As for the center speaker, its just a connecotr in some cars that either become loose of sag and hit the dash. Fixes for them are in the 3G garage
Old 02-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rubaduckie

Yes, the center rattle was from the bezel around the shifter. The most annoying ones turned out to be in the doors. I never found them, but they decreased over time and at 10,000 miles, I only hear them once in a great while.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by awood
Yes, the center rattle was from the bezel around the shifter. The most annoying ones turned out to be in the doors. I never found them, but they decreased over time and at 10,000 miles, I only hear them once in a great while.
Try removing the sunglass holders on the doors if the noise is coming from the lower part of the door.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Racer

how silly is the sunglass holder anyway

How silly is the sunglass holder anyway? I think it is a bad design..I mean it barely locks into place and is a real nuisance. I use it for my glasses, but it should be 1 solid piece or at least have a reliable locking mechanism. In my 03 CL the sunglass holder is near the map lights and homelink. I find this much better. In the TL you never know if the glass holder is "really" locked into place. It seems like it is in, but you never really know..
Old 03-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by gcook
How silly is the sunglass holder anyway? I think it is a bad design..I mean it barely locks into place and is a real nuisance. I use it for my glasses, but it should be 1 solid piece or at least have a reliable locking mechanism. In my 03 CL the sunglass holder is near the map lights and homelink. I find this much better. In the TL you never know if the glass holder is "really" locked into place. It seems like it is in, but you never really know..
Except for the black window decals on the top of the doors, the build quality of my 2002 TL-S far exceeded my 2006 TL. The sound qualiity was a lot better in the 2002 as well. I get a lot of buzzing in the speakers the 2006 TL at certian frequencies. This is probably my last Acura.