DIY A-105: Power Steering Whine fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Definitely noticed an improvement with the other o-ring 91370-sv4-000. I only notice a little bit of tight steering at the extremes when backing out of a parking space, but it's not bad enough to worry about.

It's definitely worth replacing both of the o-rings since they are so easy to do and made our acura so much more functional.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the same problem - whining noise when turning the wheels in cold weather. As soon as it gets above 0 C the whining is gone. It also feels like the noise is there when I accelerate but it could be from the wheels, not sure

I don't see any bubbles in the PS fluid though. Would you still try replacing the O Ring?
Old 01-06-2018, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I did this and luckily it got rid of the noise, but I seemed to have developed a leak that I just noticed while changing this o-ring. Obviously first thing I did was check out the rack and pinion on passenger side out of fear, but it's dry as bone.

It seems like this leak is happening near the front around the fog light area on the passenger side. Is there a hose that runs around that area? Seems like a bitch to get to if there is one.

Last edited by LightKiosk; 01-06-2018 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by LightKiosk
I did this and luckily it got rid of the noise, but I seemed to have developed a leak that I just noticed while changing this o-ring. Obviously first thing I did was check out the rack and pinion on passenger side out of fear, but it's dry as bone.

It seems like this leak is happening near the front around the fog light area on the passenger side. Is there a hose that runs around that area? Seems like a bitch to get to if there is one.
maybe somewhere near the reservoir via the return hose. Reservoir isn't too far from that corner.

Are you seeing fluid on the ground? Just curious as my reservoir seems to be getting low at times so i may have a leak too.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sparc
maybe somewhere near the reservoir via the return hose. Reservoir isn't too far from that corner.

Are you seeing fluid on the ground? Just curious as my reservoir seems to be getting low at times so i may have a leak too.
Yeah I'm getting quite a bit of fluid on the ground, but my reservoir doesn't seem to be getting much lower if that makes any sense. Near the hose that goes down like you said, there's a part right where the reservoir that seems to attach to the frame with a clamp around it. I seem to be getting a buildup near where it clamps to the frame. Are those two pieces, or one solid piece going down?
Old 01-31-2018, 12:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,031 Likes on 2,507 Posts
Thanks for the posting, just did my 2005 TL with both PS pump O-rings, and also a friend's nephew's Ody which had the same problem.
Old 02-25-2018, 11:19 AM
1st Gear

2001 power steering o rings for 3.2 TL S Type

does anyone have diagram and instructions for power steering o ring replacement on a 2001 TL S Type 3.2
Old 03-10-2018, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

I've been trying to get that stupid bolt off for a bit but I either hit the motor mount or the crank wheel(best guess). Whenever I do get a bit of a holt the wrench slides odd rather than moving the damn bolt... Any tricks before I make the bolthead a complete circle?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:49 AM
4th Gear

I am having same noise on my ACURA 2004 TL and i took my car to Dealer. Dealer told me that there was a leak form seal and pipe they need to repair PS pump
with special ACURA seal part and repace pipe costing me $387 .

I will buy both seal (inlet pipe and on the TOP od PS pump)
Inlet pipe O ring - 91345-RDA-A01 cost .87 c
On the top O ring - 91370-SV4-000 cost $ 1.22

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:42 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
^check to see of the pump itself is leaking. If so, may as well just replace all the seals and be done with it.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

O-Ring on 1st Gen MDX

Great DIY set of pics. Thank you. My problem is that the 10mm bolt on the inlet tube is nearly impossible to access on the 1st Generation MDX. Have others figured out a solution?
Old 03-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My friend wanted to give me his 2004 Acura TL. I said sure! He tried to get it certified for me at a mechanic and claimed it was leaking everywhere and estimated $2000CAD to fix. No way. He took it to another mechanic and just needed some new sway bars. That said, I took ownership of the car and started to investigate about this BS leak. Yup, there was some sort of leak at the power steering reservoir. On top of the mysterious whine at the time and the leak is actually PS fluid overflowing out of the reservoir when I turned off the engine. Did a little research here and replaced the o-ring which costs almost $4CAD in Toronto, Ontario. That did the trick! The car never had any leaks!

My current car, a 2002 Acura TL started to get this buzzing/whine immediately after I change the alternator. I guess the tiny bit of pressure pulling out the power steering hose (to get room to remove the alternator) out of the metal connector that is connected to that o-ring was too much for it to handle and the PS fluid started to foam like milkshake. Being on a Sunday and I wanted it fixed right away, I just went to home depot and bought an o-ring that had the same inside diameter but longer outside diameter. I managed to sand it down for a very snug fit. It works fine a day later. Maybe it'll last for years maybe it won't so I spent another $4CAD for an o-ring whenever it needs to be changed. lol
Old 03-19-2018, 03:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jeastman
Great DIY set of pics. Thank you. My problem is that the 10mm bolt on the inlet tube is nearly impossible to access on the 1st Generation MDX. Have others figured out a solution?

I found it incredibly hard to remove on my 2002 Acura TL. I used a very short 10mm box wrench and broke it loose with 1/4 turn. I turned the rest with my finger tips. Upon putting the bolt back on, i dropped it in the crack between the back side of the timing belt housing and engine. I used a magnet to get it back out but it's so tight, the head of the bolt is too big to go through the crack face on and I couldn't tilt the bolt head at all so it's now still in the crevasse. Luckily, I have spare bolts I collected from junkyard and used another 10mm bolt cut to length. It was a pain getting that one back in. The threads wasn't as smooth because it was a hack job cutting it to length and I had to use the box wrench 1/5th turn at a time for the last 5 or so revolutions.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:44 PM
1st Gear

Hey there, I have a 2000 3.2 TL and for the life of me I could not find that first O-Ring... things looked a bit different for me when I popped the hood (the P/S reservoir was in a different place etc...) so I sorta just assumed that maybe the 2000 model does not have that Orange O-Ring... is that true?
Old 08-29-2018, 05:37 PM
5th Gear

Question Replaced O Rings, PS Pump, still whining and bubbles

So... the title says it all... Had the classic whine, replaced both O rings with no change. Just finished replacing pump and - same deal - whining with no power steering when I turn the wheel. Any recommendations?
Old 08-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Originally Posted by gvillejakesc
So... the title says it all... Had the classic whine, replaced both O rings with no change. Just finished replacing pump and - same deal - whining with no power steering when I turn the wheel. Any recommendations?
New pump? OEM? Did you make sure after replacing the pump that you performed the procedure to get all the air bubbles out of the P/S system? If not, that's why your P/S system isn't working.
Old 08-29-2018, 08:20 PM
5th Gear

Aftermarket (Duralast) p/s pump. Didnt perform bleeding procedure... do you have a ljnk to that?
Old 08-30-2018, 07:57 AM
5th Gear

*Solved*

Originally Posted by gvillejakesc

During investigation (aka staring at PS pump and fiddling with the reservoir/hoses) I noticed that when I moved the rubber hose that connects the bottom of the resevoir to the inlet pipe the whining changed. Had to go to Acura to get a replacement hose (part 53731-SDB-A00) for $12.45, swapped it out in the parking lot and voila: problem solved. Probably didn't need to replace the pump at all, but whatever.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:12 PM
2nd Gear

Just changed both o-rings on my brothers 2005 TL and no change. I'm not a Honda guy, so can someone watch my video and confirm that this is indeed the power steering pump whining and not something like the timing belt tensioner?

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by infinite97
Just changed both o-rings on my brothers 2005 TL and no change. I'm not a Honda guy, so can someone watch my video and confirm that this is indeed the power steering pump whining and not something like the timing belt tensioner?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlEQ0Tvc3TY

Thanks!
Your link is broken
Old 09-23-2018, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Your link is broken
do I not have the option to edit my own post?

Try this one, dunno why YouTube marked the video as private, that's all I can think of.

Old 09-24-2018, 04:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Did you replace PS fluid while you were at it? Did you turn the wheel from lock to lock to get rid of all the air out of the system? If it's not the outer o-rings, you may have to rebuild the pump's inner seals.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:15 PM
Senior Moderator

But it sounds like you have multiple issues, tensioner + PS whine IMO. make a 'poor man's mechanics stethoscope' by placing a screwdriver on the PS pump and listen with your ear. It sounds bad to me but also sounds like either valve adjustment is needed or a tensioner is bad.
Old 01-21-2020, 02:52 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
good info., thanks, youngjim
Old 02-09-2020, 08:13 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
O-rings didn't work for me. Going to just bite the bullet and purchase a power steering pump instead.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:49 AM
Instructor

2006 Acura TL

Power steering whine when engine is at sub zero temperatures when turning wheel initially out of the driveway. After that had no apparent noise or whine. Whenever i climb steep hill, whine begins no matter if the engine is cold or warm.
Years ago changed the PS o-rings from the loud noise.
November oil change noticed lot of fluid dirt on outside of oil pan confused what it was, engine oil or Power Steering fluid.
Ignoring it since noise wasn't issue or check PS level.

Recent drives last two days thought to check the PS level it was lowest point of the container. Bought two 350ML Honda PS fluids at $20 each.
Poured almost all of one bottle maybe 300ML to top of max line slightly over when engine running and warm. When engine is cold the level is exactly max.
Whine continues up hills but normal driving no noises. Thought it was heat shield rattle for long time when car warms up. Now began to think it was power steering rack leak. Not checked it again under the car since its too cold to work on it.

Is my guess wrong power steering is broken sucking air for long time. Also the power steering rack leaking seals?

Old 02-22-2024, 11:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 49er
2006 Acura TL

Power steering whine when engine is at sub zero temperatures when turning wheel initially out of the driveway. After that had no apparent noise or whine. Whenever i climb steep hill, whine begins no matter if the engine is cold or warm.
November oil change noticed lot of fluid dirt on outside of oil pan confused what it was, engine oil or Power Steering fluid.

Recent drives last two days thought to check the PS level it was lowest point of the container. Bought two 350ML Honda PS fluids at $20 each.
Poured almost all of one bottle maybe 300ML to top of max line slightly over when engine running and warm. When engine is cold the level is exactly max.
Whine continues up hills but normal driving no noises. Thought it was heat shield rattle for long time when car warms up. Now began to think it was power steering rack leak. Not checked it again under the car since its too cold to work on it.

Is my guess wrong power steering is broken sucking air for long time. Also the power steering rack leaking seals?

You probably need to rebuild your PS pump my friend

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...-scans-841134/

Luckily, we have a DIY for that as well, no need for a new pump
Old 02-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 49er
2006 Acura TL

Recently, I had the same problems as you and always i ignored the power steering whine until i realized my p/s reservoir was empty. Rebuilt the power steering pump with new o rings and my problem has been solved since. A couple hours of your time with a lot of information online, and you’re good to go!