DIY A-105: Power Steering Pump Overhaul (with Pics & SM Scans)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 03:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,437 Posts
Originally Posted by sockr1
- finally decided to go for it on a tuesday night, and took me about 2-3 hours of trying to break the bolts free with no luck. the geometry is super awkward to hold and i had no impact wrench. finally break everything free except for the 10mm bolt...last item left. so i call it a night and decide i'll use a coworkers impact wrench the next day
- get the impact wrench on wed night and try to break it free but can't get a good enough countertorque on the ps pump to let the impact wrench do its thing
- get a tip from thea truong (thank you for listening to all my rants and giving me good advice) to bolt the ps pump back to the engine backward for good countertorque.
- get ps pump bolted in and i start playing with the impact wrench getting familiar with it. in my testing it out, i forgot to switch the switch back to counterclockwise, put my full body behind it, and boom, strip all the aluminum threads on the inside of the ps pump. pump is toast haha
Nice write-up!

Just to clarify.

The bolts that gave you all the trouble were the 4 flange bolts (8x28) (#8 on the link below), located on the pump cover?
And the flow control valve cap was the bolt you accidently stripped? The cap that receives the O-ring #14 on the link below?

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2007...s-pump-bracket

Old 11-11-2019, 04:12 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,159 Likes on 909 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
Nice write-up!

Just to clarify.

The bolts that gave you all the trouble were the 4 flange bolts (8x28) (#8 on the link below), located on the pump cover?
And the flow control valve cap was the bolt you accidently stripped? The cap that receives the O-ring #14 on the link below?

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2007...s-pump-bracket

yup exactly (i didn't strip the bolt, it's steel, i stripped the female threads in the aluminum pump housing for that bolt). can't wait for that impact wrench to show up on my door haha
The following users liked this post:
zeta (11-11-2019)
Old 11-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,671 Likes on 6,690 Posts
which wrench did you get
Old 11-11-2019, 05:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,789 Likes on 1,437 Posts
yup exactly (i didn't strip the bolt, it's steel, i stripped the female threads in the aluminum pump housing for that bolt). can't wait for that impact wrench to show up on my door haha
Thanks for the clarification.
Now I know to break loose those 4 pump cover bolts before removing the PS pump from the engine.
Then, of course, I'll have to grapple with the flow control valve cap.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
When you listen to the AZ mechanic/tech support from live stream lololol, how is your steering feel now?

Yes the Type S PS pump has 2 different part number (one is new and the other one is factory reman), but its the RDB that specific for the Type S.
sockr1 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 09:34 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
Holy fucking headache, @sockr1 thanks for sharing!
I just redid the Ody pump with my buddy @vteckillerna1 and
it's going strong!
sockr1 (11-13-2019)
Old 02-25-2021, 08:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Time for another resurrection! I’ve been putting this off for a while, but trying to determine if it’s the right solution.

I have the whine when cold and the pump looks like everyone else’s: covered in grime. Have all the parts in a cart, but am unsure if I should just replace the pump. The thing that has me wondering is that it is frustratingly difficult to turn the wheel in parking lots or doing k turns. It is somewhat easier if I give it a little throttle while turning the wheel. I also noticed the fluid is a little low and definitely old. It is for an 08 Type S. Car has 135K, but on a second motor that has about half that due to a CAI hydrolock situation a few years back (thanks hurricane Hermione). Not sure if the pump was replaced with it.

Would rebuild and flush be the way to go? Or does this sound like it’s shot?

Old 02-25-2021, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,671 Likes on 6,690 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan g
Time for another resurrection! I’ve been putting this off for a while, but trying to determine if it’s the right solution.

I have the whine when cold and the pump looks like everyone else’s: covered in grime. Have all the parts in a cart, but am unsure if I should just replace the pump. The thing that has me wondering is that it is frustratingly difficult to turn the wheel in parking lots or doing k turns. It is somewhat easier if I give it a little throttle while turning the wheel. I also noticed the fluid is a little low and definitely old. It is for an 08 Type S. Car has 135K, but on a second motor that has about half that due to a CAI hydrolock situation a few years back (thanks hurricane Hermione). Not sure if the pump was replaced with it.

rebuild it, unless you have extra money lying around
Old 02-26-2021, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Based on your description (only): reuilding or replacing the pump may not fix the "difficult to turn" when cold. The root cause may actually be lower.... Your rack. Not saying it is as your car is not in front of me and I have no idea of your ability to diagnose or if all data is presented (in person noises/symptoms are sooo important)

Your gamble.

Last edited by racerock; 02-26-2021 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:14 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by racerock
Based on your description (only): reuilding or replacing the pump may not fix the "difficult to turn" when cold. The root cause may actually be lower.... Your rack. Not saying it is as your car is not in front of me and I have no idea of your ability to diagnose or if all data is presented (in person noises/symptoms are sooo important)

Your gamble.
What might be some symptoms that it is the rack? I have no issues while driving the car and no other sounds that I can make out other than the whine, but that dissipates as the car warms up. I mainly only have an issue while backing out of my driveway/K-turns and that's just extra effort to turn the wheel from a stop.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:58 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
My steering was ok until I had to back up into a parking space. Then it was really stiff. Doing the rebuild fixed my issues completely, the steering was smooth as butter. My steering rack boot on the driver side has a little leak which I thought might be the culprit but nope, it was the pump.

If I were you I would do the rebuild or buy a junkyard oem pump if you got a reputable yard near you. I got one for $35. If you decide to change out the bearing, make sure to be gentle and use the right socket to press it in. Trust me.
csmeance (02-26-2021)
Old 02-27-2021, 10:03 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Valens
My steering was ok until I had to back up into a parking space. Then it was really stiff. Doing the rebuild fixed my issues completely, the steering was smooth as butter. My steering rack boot on the driver side has a little leak which I thought might be the culprit but nope, it was the pump.

If I were you I would do the rebuild or buy a junkyard oem pump if you got a reputable yard near you. I got one for $35. If you decide to change out the bearing, make sure to be gentle and use the right socket to press it in. Trust me.
Thanks, I saw your thread literally right after posting here and has me hopeful the rebuild will help. Did you replace the shaft too or just the bearing?
Old 02-27-2021, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Just did the bearing, not the shaft. Personally I thought that was going too far lol. The manual doesn't list the shaft as a wear item anyway.

Some more tips. I saw no reason to disassemble the million layers of the pump. Try to keep that part together if you can, make things much simpler.

If you don't have a vise, leave the power steering pump bolted into the engine to get the pulley off (stick something in the splines to keep it from moving). Also, the flow control valve cap was a bitch. Make sure you got a 10 mm hex socket. I was able to bolt the pump into the engine upside down to keep it steady while I removed the cap.
ryan g (03-02-2021)
Old 02-28-2021, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What might be some symptoms that it is the rack? I have no issues while driving the car and no other sounds that I can make out other than the whine, but that dissipates as the car warms up. I mainly only have an issue while backing out of my driveway/K-turns and that's just extra effort to turn the wheel from a stop.
What you describe was characteristic on a different vehicle/different power steerin system setup on a car I diagnosed and repaired quitea few years ago and it was not the pump.
Others on here have provided very good input that in their experience it was the pump itself (which it very well can be and has been in the past as well for me)
Rebulding yours may be a very good first step to eliminate potential root cause

Again - we are not there, but you have given decent description. and are pretty much at a decision point in time.

The most important thing that can be done at this point: Determine your root cause and report back when you find it and repair with success (You can and are likely to do so)
Old 03-15-2021, 08:43 AM
Intermediate

Finally tackled this over the weekend. Took a lot longer than I was hoping, but that's typically how all of my projects on this car go. The pump is now silent and everything seems pretty smooth. Steering from a complete stop is only marginally easier. I know the Type S pump/steering is typically stiffer than base, but to be honest after 11 years of having the car, I'm not even sure I remember what it felt like "new." I may have been disillusioned by my wife's electronic power steering. I didn't do the bearing; it wasn't really budging off the shaft and I was afraid I would damage the shaft if I kept hammering. Kind of wish I could turn the wheel with one hand from a stop, but all in all I would say it's a success.

Thanks for all the help.

Edit: I feel pretty stupid. As I re-read a couple of posts, I realized that I should have been trying to get the bearing off by hitting a socket over it and not the shaft
Even if it's quiet, could the bearing still be bad and replacing it make steering from a stop easier?

Last edited by ryan g; 03-15-2021 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2021, 09:15 AM
Advanced

My projects on this car always take all day no matter what. At least the first time. Don't sweat it. If I remember right, you ARE supposed to hit the shaft to get the bearing off (thread a nut into the shaft and put a rag over it so you don't balloon it). I remember having to take some really gnarly hammer swings to get it off. You use a socket to get the shaft ON. A socket that touches the metal part of the bearing, not the orange part.

That said, concerning your last point. I can tell you this. I damaged my bearing and it was causing a high pitch whine. However, steering was a dream even like that. So if your bearing is quiet and smooth, it most likely isn't the problem. Did you bleed the car with the wheels off the ground and engine off? See here
Old 03-15-2021, 09:25 AM
Intermediate

I bled it with the engine running. I also flushed it first.

My only complaint now is that it is still hard to turn at a stop. Everything else is super smooth. Maybe a re-bleed/flush would help?
Old 03-16-2021, 09:32 AM
Advanced

If I were you I would do the bleeding like that post says (wheels in the air, engine off). Just to make sure it's not something as simple as air in the system.