Ding....dremel help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ding....dremel help?

I have a ding in my rear panel (directly above the brake lamp and directly to the right of the trunk) It's about a 3" diameter circle.

I have some great touch up paint (thanks to those of you who turned me onto paintscratch.com) but I want to really do a nice job.

Anyone know of a good guide out here using the dremel tool to sand, paint then buff out a good ding? Not worried about the dent itself...just getting a nice finish.

I did a search but didn't turn up anything...Any insight is appreciated. Don't want to pay $500 for something so small (they want to take the whole panel off which is the right thing to do but if I am willing to live with a little mis-match color I'd rather save it...for now anyway).
Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,150 Likes on 776 Posts
If the dent isn't creased and the paint is intact, try dentless repair such as Dent Doctor-- much less expensive and fewer possibilities of mistakes with the Dremel!
Old 03-26-2007, 01:14 PM
Pro

As Will mentioned...if the dent does not have a crease or paint chip than I would recommend calling a "Dentless Repair" company. Even at your dealership we use Dent Wizards. In the long run it's cheaper and less of a hassle.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
, but even if it is chiped, you can have that small section repainted.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by csmeance
, but even if it is chiped, you can have that small section repainted.

Problem is I can't find any shops in my area who seem to want to just repair the dent (yes the paint IS chipped). Something about clearcoat and having to re-coat the entire quarter panel becuase you can't spot fix clear coat vehicles. I'm not buying it. Anyone know of a good place in the King of Prussia/Phoenixville area outside of Philly?
Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Pro

Fishacura:

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/li...search=Find+It

http://yellowpages.superpages.com/li...search=Find+It
Old 03-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Racer

Not that easy....the "Paintless" dent repair places don't work because I need paint and the auto body places want to repaint the entire panel. That's why I asked for any specific places anyone knows of...cute try with the yellow pages though
Old 03-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by fishacura
Problem is I can't find any shops in my area who seem to want to just repair the dent (yes the paint IS chipped). Something about clearcoat and having to re-coat the entire quarter panel becuase you can't spot fix clear coat vehicles. I'm not buying it. Anyone know of a good place in the King of Prussia/Phoenixville area outside of Philly?
They are correct, you dont just spot repair clear. You can spot repair with the color and do a small blend with it, but the clear coat typically has to be sprayed out over the entire panel. A shop willing to use some blender and do some color sanding afterwards along with buffing may achieve the same result but by time its said and done that way you might as well have just re cleared the entire panel
Old 03-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by fishacura
Not that easy....the "Paintless" dent repair places don't work because I need paint and the auto body places want to repaint the entire panel. That's why I asked for any specific places anyone knows of...cute try with the yellow pages though
Try PM'ing kennedy and askingwhat acura dealer did his. He had a rust sport and they just painted on that and he tought it was a very good job.