Different wear on inside pads vs outside pads

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010 | 09:38 PM
Instructor

Different wear on inside pads vs outside pads

On my front passenger wheel, the inside pads (the ones on the inside side of the rotor) where worn down to the metal (and damaged the rotor), yet the wear indicator (aka squealer) want's touching the outside side the rotor (i.e., there was still enough material on the outside pad to last a little longer).

Why would there be such a difference in wear between the inside pad and the outside pad.

I haven't yet done my driver side front brakes (ran out of daylight) so I'm not certain if it's occurring on both sides.

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 09-06-2010 | 06:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Sliders sticking. When you apply the brakes on a single piston caliper the piston will push the inside pad into the rotor and the caliper will pull inward to exert pressure on the outside pad into the rotor. If the caliper can't move properly, the piston will push the inside pad into the rotor with force, but the o/s pad will not see the pressure.
Old 09-06-2010 | 04:33 PM
Team Owner

I would have said the same on a base model.

On the TL-S with the 4 piston calipers, it should have near even wear between the inner and outer pads.

A sticking piston would be the number one suspect. I know it was metal to metal but is there any way of telling if the pad was more worn in the front or rear of the pad, maybe some material left on one end of it?

The other thing can be heat. The inner side will run hotter with the splash guards in place. If you've braked hard repeatedly or tracked the car it's possible that the hot side could wear quicker. Once the pads get past a certain temp, they wear much, much quicker.

How was the driver's side?
Old 09-06-2010 | 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I would have said the same on a base model.
On the TL-S with the 4 piston calipers, it should have near even wear between the inner and outer pads.

Never saw the TL-S in signature, but would like to see the pad difference. Have seen many 4 piston calipers wear the inside slightly more than the outside pad to a degree, but if measurably different I'd check all the pistons for ease of movement, just to be certain all ok.
Old 09-06-2010 | 08:54 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Never saw the TL-S in signature, but would like to see the pad difference. Have seen many 4 piston calipers wear the inside slightly more than the outside pad to a degree, but if measurably different I'd check all the pistons for ease of movement, just to be certain all ok.
I almost put a X2 under yours but caught the sig at the last second. Agreed about the piston movement. To the OP, on a 4 piston brake, you should be able to pull the pads out and press one piston in and the other on the same side should move outward easily under hard finger pressure.

My recent brake job on the Rotora 4 piston were surprisngly even for each caliper. In fact, no measurable difference on each corner. Obviously they aren't the same as the factory brakes but I've never seen wear so even before. Probaby wouldn't be as noticable if I hadn't let them get below 1mm. I did have more wear on the passenger side. I hope this isn't a characteristic of the TL. I know I bled them extremely well.
Old 09-06-2010 | 09:12 PM
Instructor

Hey guys, thanks for the knowledgeable info!

The driver side was much better. Probably could have gotten several 1000 more miles out of it. I never track it, and would say I'm an average driver relative to the people on this forum (meaning, probably slightly more aggressive than the average Joe, but nothing to write home about).

I still have the pads, I'll take some pics and post ASAP.

Thanks guys!