Dent in hood. Convex (From the inside) + Leather repair?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dent in hood. Convex (From the inside) + Leather repair?

So I've just bought my TL. I'll post specs and pictures of it later. However, I have something a little more important at bay to discuss.

First, there's a dent on the hood, near the front. It's like a nickel size crease, but it's convex, meaning that it pops outward rather than in. Imagine putting a padlock under the hood, and then letting the hood drop from 1 foot. No paint damage, super small, but noticeable. Should PDR fix this and if so, how much should I be looking at?

Lastly, since this was bought off a friend of the families, there is one minor flaw with the passengers seat. He was a real estate agent, so he was always carrying around those wooden open house signs. Anyway, he stuck some in the back, with the corners leaning against the passenger seat back, and one client came in and pressed reverse on the seating. RIP. A quarter sized rip on the back of the passenger side seat.

I heard that there are "seat surgeons" and things that I can look into hiring. For a quarter sized rip, how much am I looking for in repair costs there to repair the leather?

Lastly, don't know what kind of rim's they are, but the finish on some of them is coming off I could only guess due to weather and the like. Is there some kind touch up paint method or anything like that to help fix this?

Thanks again.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:31 PM
Slow Paper> No Paper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't know anything about your first two questions, but I do have a link for you with info on how to repaint your rims I'm assuming that they are the stocks. Here ya go:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150483

Hope This Helps!
Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
an auto upholstery shop for the leather fix

I know you can use dry ice to get small dents to pop out- havent seen anyone try it the other direction
See thread on subject
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 AM
Advanced

Same. Looks like something that would work on dents that pop inward.

The premise behind the whole dry ice / compressed air is that the metal essentially "shrinks" therefore forcing the dent to stretch out.

Since mine is the opposite way, I'm not sure if it'll pop back "in"
Old 05-28-2008, 12:42 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by happytang
First, there's a dent on the hood, near the front. It's like a nickel size crease, but it's convex, meaning that it pops outward rather than in. Imagine putting a padlock under the hood, and then letting the hood drop from 1 foot. No paint damage, super small, but noticeable. Should PDR fix this and if so, how much should I be looking at?
Paintless Dent Removal was my first impression on a course of action, especially since access seems not to be an issue. PDR quotes varify between service providers. I personally would contact reputable dealers or bodyshops and see who they recommend as often times they sublet PDR work. In terms of costs, I can see a good PDR guy charging $130-$200.

Keep in mind they sell PDR "Kits" so not all PDR guys are equal in skill.

I personally would not use the dry ice method since it is not as exact as PDR and I imagine you will run the risk of cracking your paint by making it brittle due to the dry ice.

My interior experience is limited. So my only suggestion is the same as a previous poster and find a auto upholstery and get some quotes.

If your rims are starting to look ghetto, bite the bullet, refinish them or replace them and sell them off if they aren't worth your time to refinish them. Touching up to that extent doesn't look good IMO.

Hope this helps.