Dead battery - what causes a drain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dead battery - what causes a drain?

I've got a problem, last night I parked my car in the garage; it started fine and no problems. This morning I got into the car and the battery was dead. I took it to a dealer and they checked the battery. They said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I have a 2007 TL Type S. I've had it for 13 months. Anybody else have this problem? They sugested I left a light on or left a door open. I know that didn't happen.

It's started ever since. Strange fluke? Or has anybody else had a problem with this too?
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 PM
'13 Hyundai Sonata

Received 99 Likes on 91 Posts
I believe that it was said before that the original battery of the car are terrible and many times it just needs to be replaced. I would try a SEARCH because there is def something about the battery in this forum somewhere.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had problems with my battery many times. I don't drive my car every day and several times the battery was either dead or extremely low. Never had it happen overnight before. A few weeks ago I replaced the battery and the problem went away. I also had the dealer check my factory battery...said it was OK.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:39 PM
GO DAWGS!! SICK'EM!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
crappy battery from ACURA
Old 03-04-2008, 06:30 AM
WDP 07 TL Type S

Man, I was just in the same situation as you yesterday. Got off work at 8:30 PM and back to work at 3:00 PM the next day. Car would not start. I put the key into the ignition and turn to start it up and all of the light gauges, radio, and nav screen go all crazy. I checked the indicator on the battery and it showed that it was fine. Had it towed to Acura of Fife last night courtesy of Acura TLC except it took the tow truck four hours to show up I also have a 07 TL Type S and 4443 miles on the OD.

Any suggestions on what type of battery to replace the OEM battery?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:08 AM
9th Gear

I don't know what happened. It has started every time since. I am sure I'll have to get a new battery pretty soon. I expect more from Acura though. They should supply a battery that should last through the warranty at lesst.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:57 PM
10th Gear

re: No Juice

Don't be too quick to blame the battery. The same thing happened to my '07TL: at the airport for 24 hours about 3 months after taking delivery. Dead as a doornail (BTW - why is a doornail so dead?). After jumping it from a Mercedes (how insulting), I've not had another electrical problem in 9 months.

I'm speculating on a flukey trunk or cockpit light switch when I closed up the car. But as I said, it's never happened since, even when left for 4 days.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
The batteries that honda uses suck. These batteries cause most of the electrical issues here. If the battery does continue to drain, put a multimeter on the battery and see the draw of the car. it should be near 20 milliamps. If it is high, pull the fuse for the HFL system. This is usually the culprit.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:23 PM
My Garage not

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
if u need a new battery get an optima red top. it's so much better than the stock battery i felt like it was a mod.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
replaced under warranty

Mine was replaced under warranty after *almost* 3 years.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:09 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by two-timer
Don't be too quick to blame the battery. The same thing happened to my '07TL: at the airport for 24 hours about 3 months after taking delivery. Dead as a doornail (BTW - why is a doornail so dead?). After jumping it from a Mercedes (how insulting), I've not had another electrical problem in 9 months.

I'm speculating on a flukey trunk or cockpit light switch when I closed up the car. But as I said, it's never happened since, even when left for 4 days.
exactly what happened to me after a business trip... 8 hrs of flight.... couldn't find my damn car.. when i finally did.. i pressed on the button for unlock.. then nothing..

haven't had a problem for 4 months now.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:34 AM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah, mine was replaced under warranty as well...but it's starting to crap out again...she's having a hard time whinding up on the inital turn of the key...thinking about getting an optima

BTW-what's the difference between the red and yellow tops? sorry...hope this doesn't detract from YOU thread...

thanks,
erc
Old 03-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Instructor

Seriously, I've had this happen 2x now on my 2004. No warnings (slow cranking), just the screens all flipping out and nothing. Replaced the original with a die hard (forget level), but would the Optimas make that much of a difference?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Something is missing...my

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Optima is just a better quality battery. no spilling, venting, etc. Won't make things better for you, just a better battery.

Red top is a starting battery (better amperage) yellow top is deep cycle (better reserve).
Old 03-26-2008, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I found this very funny...I woke up late for work...and didn't have a good excuse of why i was late....so i figured id just make something up on the way in...as i go to start my car...the battery was dead...unlocked fine...

I left it parked in my garage for a full 24hours, first time i've ever done that...and its dead...i know the lights were off, and after i jumped it...i made sure no dome lights were on when i got in....its also a 2007 TL-S, 12k on the odo.

seems to be some kind of issue....as for honda OEM batteries being junk...i think thats BS, i work at honda...and as long as you maint. it, it'll last you a few years...had one come in on a 1998 accord, OEM battery...still puttin out 400+ cca...
Old 03-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Bella Nova

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TerminaderTL
Mine was replaced under warranty after *almost* 3 years.
Good to know, we are having problems with our battery. Only a couple years old (2006) and this already has happened? I am starting to believe the consensus on this forum, that Honda/Acura batteries simply suck! I hope they don't give us any lip when we go in for service.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:12 AM
1st Gear

I picked up my 2008 TL about two weeks ago. Funny thing is that the day I bought it, I was stuck driving my old car back home and picking up the TL I wanted in the morning due to a dead battery. Fast forward to today. I get home from work, exit the car and try to arm the alarm. Nothing. The interior light is still on and wont go off. Interesting. I investigate, check the doors, all closed. I start the car and the information screen is showing rear passenger side door is ajar. Also when I open the driver door, it shows both driver side front and rear doors as being open. This would explain the initial dead battery. I love the car, but with 500mi. on the odometer, this is not a good way to start. Had to turn off the interior light and lock the doors manually, although the LED ring around the ignition won't go off. I don't have time for this crap. Car is going to the dealer in the morning.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:07 PM
Instructor

Old thread RISE FROM THE DEAD. Anyhow, my 2004 went through the original battery, a Sears "Die Hard" and now on an interstate. First one I said screw it, battery sucks, I'll buy a Die hard and get the warranty. Well, boom Die Hard Dies, take it to Sears,they say battery is fine, will not replace it. Went to bank, DEAD again. Jumped again, went to Sears and they again said they will not replace under warranty because their machine says its fine. F-that. Ditched it, got an Interstate and everything is good.

Moral of the story: Screw Sears and they "warranties". Their "Tester" is obviously rigged and they don't know WTH is going on. Get a red/yellow top, but for all that is holy do not got to Sears. They will NOT honor warranties. I guess this will not be an issue soon, Sears is on the road to nowhere. Just accelerating....
Old 04-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Instructor

Angry Another Dead '07 TL-S Battery

I have '07 TL-S, and this morning my battery was dead...no warnings prior to this. I'm certain that I left no lights on or doors open. Can't believe that battery problems are so prevalent for such new cars. Unbelievably disappointing!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Having heard about the battery problem, I replaced my battery upon taking ownership of my new 08 TL-S with the Yellow Top Optima battery. I had it in my TSX trade in. Cranks like a champ!! My Yellow Top was only a few months old. So nipped this problem in the butt.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:49 PM
B16 Swapped TL

I just fell victim to this.

I wonder if Acura will re-imburse me since I bought a replacement (much easier to walk to UhOh Zone and buy a Redtop than wait for roadside assistance) while on the road 3 hours from the nearest Acura dealership.

It's a 2007 TL, maybe just a year of ownership.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Some old threads just won't go away! Have had my '07 TL-S 14 mos. and think I left the map light on for 2 days. Dead as a doornail. Going to try to jump it. At this point, I'm sure it's my fault.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Lazy Idiot

The best thing to do would be to buy a new battery. The OEM one is not very good i should think
Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well to answer the question something is being grounded when it shouldn't be. But most likely its your battery due to the # of replies above. But if its free let the dealership pick up the bill. Other wise get a better battery.

D
Old 05-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Tall Cool One

Count me in as another victim of a dead battery. I might also add that this is the second battery I have replaced in less then a year. Drove the car off the lot last year in May got about 700 miles on it, wake up one morning dead battery(replaced at the end of June 07). Wake up this morning and get in, and same problem, another dead battery. So now this will be the 3rd battery since I have bought it. Get car jumped and take to dealer and they do all the test and find the charging system is fine and that they found a bearing or bushing seal leaking around my front axle. So now I have a car with around 9500 miles on it with a major seal leaking on it to go along with a dead battery. I'm starting to wonder why I bought this car when I had a GOOD used car(2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 45k) that NEVER gave me any problems. Does anybody have an email address or a phone number to call so I can vent?
Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 PM
Racer

This happened to my 07 TL-S today (15k miles). I called roadside to get it jumped and went to the dealer. They told me the batteries on these cars only last about 1 1/2 years, but mine tested fine and I went home.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by t-nuts
So now I have a car with around 9500 miles on it with a major seal leaking on it to go along with a dead battery. I'm starting to wonder why I bought this car when I had a GOOD used car(2002 Lincoln LS V8 with 45k) that NEVER gave me any problems. Does anybody have an email address or a phone number to call so I can vent?
Get over it. Like any piece of machinery, it can break for no rhyme or reason. Just because its new doesn't mean random things can't go wrong. That is why it comes with a 4 year warranty. If new things never broke then they wouldn't need to provide warranties.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I also had the same problem 07 TL s 17k miles i parked the car sunday night left it in the garage and thursday i wanted to drive the car batter died completly. got it jumped satrted. drove it for like two hours. Took it to work firday started normal tested the batery in the shop shows good battery recharge the batter in the shop just in case. it was not fully charge. now its okay no prblems. and i know i didnt left nothing on because before i close that garage door i check evrything few times around the car and then leave. so idont know what could be the problem
Old 05-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Tall Cool One

Originally Posted by flydog
Get over it. Like any piece of machinery, it can break for no rhyme or reason. Just because its new doesn't mean random things can't go wrong. That is why it comes with a 4 year warranty. If new things never broke then they wouldn't need to provide warranties.
Excuse me for acting like I have acted. I'm so sorry that I bought a BRAND NEW car and it hasn't started for me 3 times(in 1 year) since I have bought it. I don't expect a new car to go through 3 batteries in less then a year. Wait till it happens to you and you need to go to work or better yet need to get your kids from school. You get in your car that's not even a year old and it doesn't start. Don't tell me to get over it. I didn't go out and buy a used Chevy or Ford(just saying) to have my car be in the shop this many times for 1 item(Battery) I paid for a luxury car and I expect better reliabilty then this. I have NEVER been through this many batteries in all the cars that I have owned! So NO I will not get over it and when my car goes more then 1 year without needing a battery then I might get over it.
Old 05-17-2008, 04:46 PM
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by t-nuts
Excuse me for acting like I have acted. I'm so sorry that I bought a BRAND NEW car and it hasn't started for me 3 times(in 1 year) since I have bought it. I don't expect a new car to go through 3 batteries in less then a year. Wait till it happens to you and you need to go to work or better yet need to get your kids from school. You get in your car that's not even a year old and it doesn't start. Don't tell me to get over it. I didn't go out and buy a used Chevy or Ford(just saying) to have my car be in the shop this many times for 1 item(Battery) I paid for a luxury car and I expect better reliabilty then this. I have NEVER been through this many batteries in all the cars that I have owned! So NO I will not get over it and when my car goes more then 1 year without needing a battery then I might get over it.
Be glad you didn't buy german.

D
Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 PM
I caught the mod flu

I've had this problem in the past with other vehicles due to short driving commute, less then 1 mile each day.

The alt was able to charge the battery fully.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the Battery...

So what distance do you drive?
Old 05-19-2008, 12:10 PM
1st Gear

I have a 2007 TL, my problem was that if the vehicle sat more then 3-4 days the battery would go dead. Turned out that the HFL (Hands Free Link) was defective. It kept searching for a blue tooth device even though the car was turned off. Dealer replaced the module and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 05-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by York118
I have a 2007 TL, my problem was that if the vehicle sat more then 3-4 days the battery would go dead. Turned out that the HFL (Hands Free Link) was defective. It kept searching for a blue tooth device even though the car was turned off. Dealer replaced the module and I haven't had a problem since.

battery just died after being parked over the memorial day weekend. know it wasn't from a short commute (even though my normal commute is .7 miles a day) cause on that day i drove 2+ hours to the airport.

i do agree with you about it probably being the HFL. I was using it on the way down and got out the car with out disconnecting. Believe the HFL was looking to reconnect the whole weekend. The HFL has a nice feature that it will continue to work if you are on a call for about 45 minutes after you have turned off the car. So by that logic i think it can get hung up and keep working even though you have left . I will take it to the dealer later this week.

note to self to always disconnect the from the HFL before leaving car.
Old 10-31-2008, 11:21 PM
TL SL ML :)

Reviving a thread from the dead...this just happened to my 07 TL-S with 27k miles which is 4months shy of 2 years old...drove it yesterday, went to drive it tonight and all i heard was that clicking sound....called acura RSS, guy came out and said the battery and connections (forget the exact name) need to be replaced...honestly I find this to be RIDICULOUS for such a new car...I've have multiple lexus and mercedes cars and they've NEVER had battery issues in at least the first 5-6 years of ownership...I'm contacting the dealership tomorrow and having both the battery and connections replaced under warranty
Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Racer

I was in an accident on the front driver side. the body shop had everything fixed fine. My car ran great! Until it wouldnt start sometimes.... thought this was wierd had the battery tested... everything was good on the battery... ok so i took it back to the body shop cause it was under warranty there. The Tl i think has 3 ground coming from the battery. 1 goes to the frame, 1 goes to the firewall and 1 came lose that goes under the battery somewhere. This might be whats happening....
Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Racer

When I bought my 2006 TL new battery lasted only, 13 months, I than replaced it with a Gold Plus from Sears, 17 months later dead battery. I noticed that in both instances ,that right before the battery went bad I would hear a buzzing sound from right above the steering column. My headlights were real bright not dim and both times the battery just died instantly.
Sears actually tried to recharge the battery for an 1.5 in only showed 8 volts, I took it in showing only 6 volts. I always run my car with the headlights on. Can the problem be a faulty alternator, maybe to many electronics in the vehicle itself(no Navi), or just a problem in the elecrical system? I have had no symptoms, in both situations, prior to the battery dying.
The vehicle responds differently, like night and day. The so called hesitation , or delay engine reaction when I stomp on the accelerator is almost unnoticable. I would recommened all to check your batteries voltage, if your car has a 11/12 volt rating , it will perform totally different, no lie.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:30 AM
Indus TL

Wow, seems like a systemic problem for Acuras - which is total BS because I expect batteries to last much longer than 1-3 years. My 3 year old 05 TL's battery just died one morning. No lights left on or anything. Jumped it, drove around, but ever since then the engine doesn't seem to start right away. I'm having it looked at and will replace the battery if its problematic.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:31 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
QUESTION: If you go out and buy your own battery and if you are still under warranty, does Acura pay you back for the new battery cost? How does this process work?

I'm @ 30k 2006.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Racer

My question is could we have an issue with our altenator? Maybe not enough amps are being pumped or maybe our HIDs are using, draining our batteries quicker than normal? Thanks
Old 11-06-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
Originally Posted by doggydog
My question is could we have an issue with our altenator? Maybe not enough amps are being pumped or maybe our HIDs are using, draining our batteries quicker than normal? Thanks
its not the alternator, I can assure you that. The issue is the battery as I said before the batteries that acura uses SUCK. once they are discharged, they very seldom recover. Running the HID's with the car off or running the radio with the car off kills em slowly, and as well the high underhood temps kill batteries.

Quick Reply: Dead battery - what causes a drain?