Dashboard fading - Due to airbag?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dashboard fading - Due to airbag?

I posted earlier about the dashboard in my 1-year old TL fading and cloudy. Cleaning and typical products don't seem to help...although I still need to try some that were suggested by others.

I took my car by the dealership yesterday to ask if this problem would be covered under warranty. Service noted that the fading is due to that portion of the dashboard being "thinner" to accommodate the passenger side airbag...thus, sun is able to penetrate and fade the dash. He said that because it was a design flaw, they can only apply some product from their detail center, but that replacement of the dash would not be covered.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2009, 09:43 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Originally Posted by CkDedmon
I posted earlier about the dashboard in my 1-year old TL fading and cloudy. Cleaning and typical products don't seem to help...although I still need to try some that were suggested by others.

I took my car by the dealership yesterday to ask if this problem would be covered under warranty. Service noted that the fading is due to that portion of the dashboard being "thinner" to accommodate the passenger side airbag...thus, sun is able to penetrate and fade the dash. He said that because it was a design flaw, they can only apply some product from their detail center, but that replacement of the dash would not be covered.

Anyone else experience this?

Thanks!
Everyone experiences this.. Take the aforementioned tips about treating the dash or use Acura's products and it will resolve the problem or at least make it better.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Clean dash well with water and MF cloth. Treat whole dash with 303 Aerospace protectant. You can find it at boating stores, such as West Marine. Spray the 303 on a MF not directly on the dash and keep it away from clear plastic pieces like your gauges. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. I picked up some 303 Aerospace but haven't used it yet. Primarily, I wanted to make sure the dealer wasn't trying to pull a fast one on it...it's good to know this is a common problem, although still irritating!
Old 04-16-2009, 02:36 PM

You need to seriously treat the dash for at least a week or two.. everyday.. then every week or so after..
Old 04-18-2009, 05:58 AM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well my friends I use "saddle soap" by Kiwi, comes in a can like the old school shoe polish. Grab a foam applicator and use this stuff on your dash and will maintain it shiny, as well as your leather seats....
Old 04-18-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by HEK
well my friends I use "saddle soap" by Kiwi, comes in a can like the old school shoe polish. Grab a foam applicator and use this stuff on your dash and will maintain it shiny, as well as your leather seats....
hmm.. never thought of using saddle soap for the dash but I use it on the seats.. then apply a leather conditioner.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:13 PM
HEK
Team Nighthawk Mambo King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo
hmm.. never thought of using saddle soap for the dash but I use it on the seats.. then apply a leather conditioner.
One tip is to have a foam pad just for it, place it back in a zip lock and with time it will be soaked / cured with the soap, making the application to the dash a smooth operation and it will protect it better than any of those products used..ehem for example Armor All...., will help the Sun cook your dash as it will act as the oil you put in a frying pan to fry your eggs.....which will lead to a new thread..."Cracked Dash..."...
Old 04-18-2009, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by HEK
One tip is to have a foam pad just for it, place it back in a zip lock and with time it will be soaked / cured with the soap, making the application to the dash a smooth operation and it will protect it better than any of those products used..ehem for example Armor All...., will help the Sun cook your dash as it will act as the oil you put in a frying pan to fry your eggs.....which will lead to a new thread..."Cracked Dash..."...
Hey that's a good tip..