dash fade

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy dash fade

Anyone had this problem? I have an '05 NBP that was bought in February and has not set out for more than a couple of hours at a time. For the last month it has been setting in full sun for about 8-9 hours a day during the week. The windows are tinted at 30%. I noticed last weekend that the black dash is fading. And it is not the same everywhere. Some places are lighter than others. No one has put anything on the dash because I'm the only one that cleans it. Anybody else have this problem? I'm heading to the dealer tomorrow to see what they say. Thanks
Old 09-01-2005, 04:48 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Many have noted this condition. Some have even had dashes replaced. Many have had good results using 303 Aerospace protect ant on the dash. I'm one of them. Do a search on it to see what others have said. The dash is more matte than other black surfaces in the car so it is prone to some unevenness in shine (or lack off)

Good luck at the dealers.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
and if you're not happy with 303 try Zaino Leather in a bottle
i switched to it because it gives a "deeper" look, stays on longer than 303 and is not as "touchy"
Old 09-01-2005, 07:35 PM
The Oracle of Acurazine!

Received 44 Likes on 12 Posts
on 303
Old 09-01-2005, 07:37 PM
Racer

303 did not work for me. I like the product, but it will not help with this specific issue - I have the same problem.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Racer

My dash recently just turned from pretty to piss ugly in a matter of days, it just nose dived, I could not believe my eyes when I saw it today. HAving read these threads I was keeping and eye on it and just last week it was acceptable, NOW IT LOOKS HORRIBLE!!!

IF YOU HAVE DASH FADE GET YOUR DASH REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY! THIS IS RIDICULUS!
Old 09-01-2005, 09:59 PM
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've also got an 05 NBP, and the dash is starting to look horrible. Wife works for a restoration company, and the product they use worked for a couple of days, then it was back to square one. Will try the 303 if I can find it. If not-let's see what the dealer says.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:03 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by abirvalg
and if you're not happy with 303 try Zaino Leather in a bottle
i switched to it because it gives a "deeper" look, stays on longer than 303 and is not as "touchy"
You use Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle" on your TL dash...? Interesting. I love it for the leather but figured it would leave a residue or something hideous on the dash.....
Old 09-01-2005, 10:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I use a sun shade every time I park the car

after reading about the fading dash posts here - I use the 303 about every week when I wash the car

I believe u have to stay ahead of the prblm

I agree it is an issue

my wife's mdx - no prblm
Old 09-02-2005, 07:16 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by KJSmitty
You use Zaino's "Leather in a Bottle" on your TL dash...? Interesting. I love it for the leather but figured it would leave a residue or something hideous on the dash.....
nope
it doesn't
it's smooth, slick and doesn't attract much dust

i use a microfiber glove to apply it

as a matter of fact i couldn't wipe my dash a day after 303 application
even a duster would leave trails on it
it made it behave like suede if i wanted to dust it i had to dust the whole thing in one direction to get the color even
even when i was putting the sun screen it would leave marks where it rubber the dash

Zaino makes the color almost match the door sills - deep black
also has UV protection
plus i dust and touch the dash anywhere i want without leaving any marks

it's worth a shot before you let deal replace your dash and f.. up something else

Old 09-02-2005, 10:17 AM
Team Anthracite Member

yea, I got the same thing going with the 303 - my shade leaves marks all over it. You saying the Zaino treated dash does not have that problem? I am all for it then. Can I only order that online - can I just get the one product? Anything to get the dash back to a healthy color - its fugly now.

Thanks man.

Originally Posted by abirvalg
nope
it doesn't
it's smooth, slick and doesn't attract much dust

i use a microfiber glove to apply it

as a matter of fact i couldn't wipe my dash a day after 303 application
even a duster would leave trails on it
it made it behave like suede if i wanted to dust it i had to dust the whole thing in one direction to get the color even
even when i was putting the sun screen it would leave marks where it rubber the dash

Zaino makes the color almost match the door sills - deep black
also has UV protection
plus i dust and touch the dash anywhere i want without leaving any marks

it's worth a shot before you let deal replace your dash and f.. up something else

Old 09-02-2005, 11:56 AM

my dash hasn't faded, but you can see where the air bag comes out. wonder if they'll replace it for that
Old 09-02-2005, 12:54 PM
never stops!

Originally Posted by crxb
I use a sun shade every time I park the car

after reading about the fading dash posts here - I use the 303 about every week when I wash the car

I believe u have to stay ahead of the prblm

I agree it is an issue

my wife's mdx - no prblm

I do the same all the time. However, I can see where the airbag is now. That is the only problem I've.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Can I only order that online - can I just get the one product?
Thanks man.
you sure can!

no problem
Old 09-02-2005, 03:10 PM
Racer

There are TWO separate issues here - 1. outline of the dash comes through 2. dash fades unevenly, making it look splotchy.

I have #2 but not #1. #2 is worse, looks grey in one area, black in another. Like someone took an eraser in an erratic pattern to the dash.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:25 PM
I do the shifting

I'm new here and the only reason I registered was for this particular issue. My '05 developed the problem after about 3000 miles and has gotten worse since then (now at 5100). It started with only two ashy streaks that I thought were finger smudges from where I cleaned. Within a week I could see the outline of the air bag. I started to look here to find similar issues.

A little background. I am completely against any "protectant" that leaves a glossy finish behind. I don't like the greasy feel and the way it collects dust. I have read where 303 works (sometimes), for a limited time. This was not the way I wanted to go.

What I have found is that Meguairs Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Condition works very well. This is the liquid, not the wipes. I have an area that had a test application for over a month with no signs of deterioration. I have now applied a very liberal coating of the conditioner, per instructions, to all the affected dash material, including the perforated texture above the cluster. The car is normally garaged, but has seen a lot of time outside in the bright sunny days since the application. There are no ashy marks, and the outline of the air bag is completely gone.

I imagine I will have to reapply to keep the new look, but it only takes 20-30 minutes to do. I can do it when I condition my seats.

I have not read this as being a solution which is why I am posting about it. Hopefully, it will help some of you guys who are having the same problem.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:02 PM
Cruisin'

Just use the Maguiars NXT Tech protectant!

My dash was looking HORRIBLE. You could see the outline from the airbag, it was all white, I was very upset. I used the new NXT Tech Protectant and it looks as good or better than new. It's held up well too.

I'm absolutely sold on the stuff!

Adam
Old 09-02-2005, 10:09 PM
Team Anthracite Member

i'll give it a shot - thanks and Welcome aboard!!

Originally Posted by 446
I'm new here and the only reason I registered was for this particular issue. My '05 developed the problem after about 3000 miles and has gotten worse since then (now at 5100). It started with only two ashy streaks that I thought were finger smudges from where I cleaned. Within a week I could see the outline of the air bag. I started to look here to find similar issues.

A little background. I am completely against any "protectant" that leaves a glossy finish behind. I don't like the greasy feel and the way it collects dust. I have read where 303 works (sometimes), for a limited time. This was not the way I wanted to go.

What I have found is that Meguairs Gold Class Leather Cleaner/Condition works very well. This is the liquid, not the wipes. I have an area that had a test application for over a month with no signs of deterioration. I have now applied a very liberal coating of the conditioner, per instructions, to all the affected dash material, including the perforated texture above the cluster. The car is normally garaged, but has seen a lot of time outside in the bright sunny days since the application. There are no ashy marks, and the outline of the air bag is completely gone.

I imagine I will have to reapply to keep the new look, but it only takes 20-30 minutes to do. I can do it when I condition my seats.

I have not read this as being a solution which is why I am posting about it. Hopefully, it will help some of you guys who are having the same problem.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:02 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
I cannot believe people have had the dash skin replaced.

I found that to get a satisfactory look, the first thing that has to be done is a thorough cleaning, and not with a one-step product like ArmorAll or even 303. One has to get the base vinyl clean before applying any coating.

First, use simple soap and distilled water - the first line of all cleaning. I used a few drops of dish soap to produce a lot of suds, and used the suds on a fresh, small sponge to thoroughly clean the dash with a minimum of water risk (hence the suds). Let the dash dry thoroughly.

Second, use a vinyl cleaner. Again, not the "miracle in a bottle" one step products. I like Meguiar's Professional series products - they may not have bling appeal, but they have been around a long time, and proven themselves over and over. The vinyl cleaner is #42. Follow the directions carefully, using clean terry or cloth shop towels - make sure no silicones have been in use on the applicator you use. #42 is silicone free. I used a fresh Terry/Sponge applicator to work the #42 into the vinyl skin. Let the vinyl dry thoroughly.

Now, and only now, you are ready to treat the vinyl. I used several thin coats of 303 Protectant, and then 1 final, smooth coat of #39 Rubber Treatment. This is not what I generally use for vinyl, but the TL's dash soaks up vinyl treatment like Phyllis Diller's night cream ("Larry, do ya heah that giant suckin' sound? Do ya, Larry...?"). This gave me a smooth, matte finish and lost the white spots, at least for now. The TL's dash must be thin in spots to ensure proper deployment of the SRS - I for one would not want to compromise its action for a few spots, so I do not recommend slopping on greasy, petroleum-based products, or heavily siliconed products like AA, whether they use water or petro carriers.

One of the best natural vinyl protectants is sesame seed oil - you can find it in combo with other inocuous ingredients at many health food stores. There are high SPF factors in sesame oil, and it does not leech out the plasticizers in vinyl as products like ArmorAll can.

RR.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:29 PM
Banned

where do they sell 303 aerospace at?
Old 09-05-2005, 08:04 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sAnFrAn_G
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/303-230330.html

http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html

http://www.premiumautocare.com/303aepr.html

http://www.properautocare.com/303-16.html

http://www.topoftheline.com/16oz303vinpr.html
Old 09-05-2005, 08:07 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Originally Posted by sAnFrAn_G
Check your local boat shops / marina. Thats where I finally found it.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
303 worked great for me. I didn't have to do all the steps that Road rage did for mine to look good.

Just took about a week of putting 303 on everyday and now it looks great. I haven't put 303 on my dash in a long time and still looking good.

Last couple times I cleaned my dash I just used a damp cloth. I think my dash has soaked up enough of the 303 to keep it looking good now.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Cruisin'

Why mess with searching for 303?

One application of the Maguiars NXT Tech Protectant from AutoZone made it look like absolute new, with no nasty oily shine like armor all, etc. It's a really nice satin finish that doesn't attract dust.

I can't imagine anything doing a better job, and this did it in one pass.

But if you like unneccessary work, have at it!

Adam
Old 09-07-2005, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Adam.... are you using the Maguiars Protectant on the entire dash area (where all the little holes are) or just the smooth area around the airbag?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

re: NXT

I used it on the entire top of the dash. I used a soft detailers cloth and worked it in pretty aggressively. I let it sit for a few minutes and then buffed it with a dry cloth.

Adam
Old 09-10-2005, 10:48 AM
Racer

Another Suggestion / Product?

I have been using 303 and generally have been pleased with the results. But I have used some products that deepen the color more to black, and less a graphite color. Optimumly I wanted to get the dash to match closest to the door panels.

This is what I tried... DISCLAIMER: Not everyone agrees on the amount of sheen / luster they desire, nor in what products / brands they use. This is just a SUGGESTION to what I tried with MY TL.

I washed the dash after having used 303 at least twice a month for the 6 months since new. I try to avoid mixing various products or layering them over each other as you could introduce a chemical mix resulting with nasty discoloration (the g/f taught me that with the green hair episode...her hair, somehow my fault! ).

After washing the dash with a mild soapy water, I dried the dash and they it sit. The product I used was Turtle Wax brand's "BLACK CHROME". It is primarly used on black rubber and black trim. I have used it in the past instead of Armour ALL (which I find too greasy & streaky for my tastes). Using a soft, lint free cloth I sparingly worked into the dash, small circular motions (can you feel the love?). It is a graphite color (not quite black) liquid I put a nickle size plop on the cloth at a time. I found it was not streaking and deepened the color (which is what I was seeking). I used it on the dash (soft & dimpled portions), the black door trim and the steering wheel center (airbag cover).

The Results: (drum roll....)

It definately deepened the color tone and appears to be more even than before. I'd say it looks better than when it was new. It is not greasy and smooth / satin to the touch. Dusting the dash when dry did not cause the milky streaks I saw with the 303. I did NOT use it on the black frosted trim (like the stereo head and navi surround / buttons)...that seems best left alone.

The Mitigation: (get ready with the flame throwers....)

It does produce a bit more sheen than 303 (or Lexol). It is NOT as glossy or greasy I have experienced with Armour All (even their low gloss formula). But that sheen lessens as it dries, again even tone but I do see it has some sheen than now matches the sheen and color tone of the doors (my TL is parch, so I have that 2 tone interior). The product is ideal for exterior trim, but states it is fine for all plastics, vinyl and rubber (even plood). Those that like the flat finish look may not approve.

Long Term Test: To be determined, but if a bi monthly application is required, I am fine with that. BUT, I do park in a garage at home and at the office, so I may not experience some of the fade others are reporting. Being a product designed for exterior trim, perhaps that will improve its durability on interior trim... time will tell.

Now <stepping aside> let the debate rage on!
Old 09-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Advanced

I just got the latest Motor Trend magazine today. On their Long Term Test of the 2004 TL, they complained about the fading of the dash.

"As the miles accumulated, some interior plastics began showing signs of premature aging. The kick panels and door thresholds took a serious day-to-day beating, making the interior look older than it was. Most conspicuous was the TL's patterned dash fabric. At about 10,000 miles the matte-black dash began to turn a milky-white color. Although this might've been caused by the sun (unusual for such low mileage), more likely a damaging cleaning/detailing product found its way onto the dash at a full-service carwash. Slowly but surely, the dash has continued to lose it's original color".
Old 09-10-2005, 01:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I noticed that Motor Trend (?) just completed their long-term test of the '04 TL, and one of the things they noted was that the dash went chalky on them.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:30 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Funny how they blame it on "car care products", the same thing Acura comments on when folks complain about it. Although, as many of us know, the "fading" issue has nothing to do with that. I can say for a fact that my dash looked great for about 8-10K also,,, that must be the magic number.....
Anyway, I really would rather not go through a dash replacement (unless they change the composition etc...). I will probably try my Zaino Leather in a Bottle, the Maguair's, or Tampamike's product recommendation..

Keep posting your dash "success" stories..

Thanks all
Old 09-12-2005, 11:59 AM
Racer

For those thinking of replacing dash

As I have posted previously, one of my co-worker's had her dash replaced two months ago due to the fading. Just drove her car today and there are no rattles, creaks, etc due to the replacement. HOWEVER, her dash is fading AGAIN. I thought mine was bad, hers looks horrible. Some areas look totally white, others grey, others black. Her car is parked in the sun during the day with no sunshade but still....

At this point, I meet with the DPSM on the 22nd but don't know what they will do.

Luxury, near-luxury, whatever. I would not accept this on a $15K Hyundai, let alone a $35K Acura.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:59 PM
3rd Gear

All,

Yeah, Im a newbie. Just bought the car two weeks ago, already noticed the fading and streaks. Not that this is a solution, but why hasnt anyone mentioned dashmats? Here in Arizona, I think you are a fool if you dont have a dashmat with the heat that we have here. Unforutunately, my car is parked outside ALL the time. I have sun shades that I use, and I will definitely be trying the 303 when I get the chance.

Is it as visually appealing to have a dashmat? No, of course not. But that is what they are made for...to protect the dash, right? Again, not an excuse on behalf of Acura, just my 2 cents.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by RahnTL
All,

Yeah, Im a newbie. Just bought the car two weeks ago, already noticed the fading and streaks. Not that this is a solution, but why hasnt anyone mentioned dashmats? Here in Arizona, I think you are a fool if you dont have a dashmat with the heat that we have here. Unforutunately, my car is parked outside ALL the time. I have sun shades that I use, and I will definitely be trying the 303 when I get the chance.

Is it as visually appealing to have a dashmat? No, of course not. But that is what they are made for...to protect the dash, right? Again, not an excuse on behalf of Acura, just my 2 cents.
DASH MATS??? LOL
if that isnt cheezy I dont know what is!
Old 09-12-2005, 09:34 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
DASH MATS??? LOL
if that isnt cheezy I dont know what is!
Cheezy? How is that cheezy? I didnt pay $37K for a dashboard. If you want to continue to fight Acura, by all means, more power to you. I would much rather people get in my car and say "That is a cheezy dash mat", than people get in my car and say "Wow, your dash looks like crap".

Again....my opinion.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Anyone having the fade problem willing to post pictures? I might have this problem, but want to see what others are complaining so much about.

Thanks.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:56 PM
3rd Gear

I'm new at this Forum who is waiting to buy new 05 TL in 10 Days.
I have done verbal contract done at $33,000.....yet this post keep holding me back from purchasing TL.

If there are so many ppl having trouble....why the Acura is not recall the all TLs?
is that problem only happening to the little number of the TLs sold in US?

Anyone try to contact consumer's right to report this dash fading issue yet?
please let me know what is going on.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:55 AM
Racer

Same reason they did not recall for driveline vibration - they are waiting for enough owner's to complain to justify the economics. They may issue a TSB but I doubtthere will be a recall. Hell, even Motor Trend's long term test TL has this issue.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:30 PM
jfp
Intermediate

Hey Pinito-

My car is at the dealership for the dash change out. The service manager (super nice guy) let me look at the new one in the box. The lighting was not the greatest but it looked ok. We will see how it looks installed. I did notice that the dash color was a dark gray and not black. The SM said the change out will correct the deformations near the air bag but will not correct any fading isssues. He indicated I will have to treat the dash to prevent problems.

Should be done in two days. I will let you know how it turns out.

Regards
Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 PM
Racer

Johniya:

Ive got two words for you:

IS 350!
Old 09-13-2005, 08:58 PM
Racer

Unhappy

Elmer,

I certainly can understand your frustrations. And since several people report the same problem with the dash, I am sure that reinforces your frustration. But it is really unfair, even cruel, to dash the excitement a soon-to-be-owner deserves to enjoy. Maybe it is better to channel that energy into solutions you can offer Johniya.

No, the TL is not a perfect car. I have some noted idiocyncracies of the TL that drive me nuts...but I still love my TL. That said, I would never rain on the parade of a new owner. How would you feel if you just plopped down the cash, obviously excited in anticipation, then you seek information from other enthusiasts, and you get a reply that in essence, tells you that you made a mistake? I would hope we can be more supportive to other new TL owners than shoot them down. You are dispacing your frustration on someone who doesn't deserve it.

You have done some homework on the dash...now follow up and report back before shunning others. I noticed some fade on my dash and I found a solution that is making me happy with the results. I posted on the board as a solution to try.

'nuf said.

Originally Posted by ElmerHiggins
Johniya:

Ive got two words for you:

IS 350!

Quick Reply: dash fade