Damaged mapping sensor: Lessons Learned

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Respect Freedom

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damaged mapping sensor: Lessons Learned

FYI - be careful when removing the vacumn line atop the intake manifold during the Seafoam sip-n-slurp procedure. I unknowingly cracked the mapping sensor connector and all h_ _ _ broke loose. This occurred as part of the seafoam procedure on my 05 6spd...I've gotta update my nametag.

If you'd like the full story, read on.

Post on page 9 of the 3rd gen seafoam thread:

The Problem

!, VSA, & check engine graphic lights immediately upon Seafoam application. Used the sip & slurp method after proper warm up: 1 can over about 10 minutes, about 1/3 can added to the oil as it's due to be changed, 2/3 can to 1/2+ tank of gas, and sprayed the butterfly with Deep Creep.

I've done the Seafoam procedure to my 1G TL with good success, and this is the first time with the 05 MT. Yes, it smoked as anticipated, but on the post application drive the rev limiter cut in at 3,000 RPM during acceleration, regardless of gear or neutral. Downshifts are smooth even when well above 3,000, albeit with zero throttle response until the revs decline to below 3,000. Irregular idle or stalls, and it wants to diesel at shut off.

Turning the ignition totally off, or letting it sit for 20 minutes hasn't reset or otherwise remedied the problem. Will pulling the fuse for the computer (is it the clock fuse?) reset or flash the system? Any ideas or similar experiences?

Subsequent post on the 3rd gen seafoam thread:

Mystery solved.

The Seafoam treatment did it’s job as evidenced by the gunk dripping out of the tail pipes and the fouled plugs. The salient points to consider:
-The !, VSA, and check engine lights translated into 2 codes: misfire on cylinder #6, and a mapping error – thanks Autozone
-Clearing the codes was ineffective, as the maladies & warning lights remained and the codes immediately reappeared.
-Disconnecting the battery did not clear the codes or the maladies.
-In the 05 TL, there is not a fuse labeled for the clock or the CPU, at least one that I was able to decypher. FYI – neither the clock or the CPU is on the radio fuse.
-The misfire was audible, and was solved when all of the plugs were changed as planned after the Seafoam application. Misfire code was cleared and did not return.
-The irregular idle, etc. was due to a cracked sensor atop the intake plenum – the mapping sensor I suspect. It is quite likely that I damaged it as I removed the hose clamp from the adjacent vacumn hose to facilitate the seafoam sip-n-slurp procedure. In this instance, the sensor had pulled apart but not totally disconnected, hence I hadn’t noticed it until I started checking connections & fittings aside from those associated with the Seafoam treatment. When the sensor was replaced to its proper position, albeit cracked, the motor returned to its properly purring performance. The mapping error code was cleared and did not return, the ! and the VSA lights went out, and the check engine light went out after a restart.

The Seafoam treatment was step 1 of 3, #2 was the installation of Bosch IR Fusion (iridium) plugs, and #3 was the oil change to Mobil 1 Extended 5w30 (yes, 30w...the 20w will go in prior to winter temps) with a quart of Lucas Synthetic Oil additive. I purchased this car with about 60,000 miles on it, and suspect that despite frequent oil changes, this was the first time it has had its innards cleaned out. I employed the Seafoam procedures to the intake manifold, the gas tank, and the engine oil, plus sprayed Deep Creep at the throttle butterfly.

Over the next 300 miles of combined hwy/city driving, the mpg increased from the usual 27 mpg to 30 mpg. I’ve previously experienced 30 mpg hwy, but it’s been for short stints on relatively lazy stretches of interstate. Seeing 31 mpg at 200 miles on state roads with stoplights and occasional township traffic was a new experience. The motor is smooth as silk.

IMO:
- Frequent oil changes are good, but the extra effort of periodic cleansing is worthwhile.
- Use quality ingredients. Oil is like ice cream. One can subsist just fine on Good Humor brand, but the smooth richness of Haagen Daz only improves the experience. Regardless, the intervals between servings are the same – for both ice cream and oil changes. I use Mobil 1 Extended because it’s a better product than the reformulated Mobil 1, yet I still change the oil at about 3k intervals. In this analogy, the Lucas additive is the hot fudge topping, oh how my car likes it.
- Be careful when removing the vacumn line – it doesn’t take much to damage the mapping sensor atop the intake plenum.

Cheers
Old 09-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Awesome!!! Thanks for the warnings and sharing your experience with us.....