Creaking and binding

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 11:57 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Creaking and binding

My car makes a weird creaking sound when coming to a complete stop and or accelerating from one. Also I have a weird binding sound that happens when i turn the wheel at a complete stop (seems to be coming from both sides).

I have changed my front shocks, sway bar links (were busted), all three motor mounts(were busted), cv axles both sides, rack and pinion, lower ball joint & my compliance bushing on my passenger side.

I have my outer tie rods I planned on replacing but for some reason the nut connecting inner and outer is to hard to loosen for me I have had my car for about 4 years now it has about 151k miles on it. I have noticed that when I do work on my car say when i replaced my shocks and sway bar links that the sound wasn't as intense or loud as it was for a while same with when i changed my rack and pinion as if when i took the tire off and played with it it alleviated the stress somewhere.

im going to change these outer tie rods as soon as i figure out a better way my cars getting old and alot of rusted bolts but if that doesn't work i think my next attempted replacement might be my upper control arm. what are your thoughts on this and would you recommend any other alternatives to figuring out whats wrong?

I may try PB blasting one bushing a day to see what difference i hear as well my other bushings look kinda worn to begin with.

willing to post pics of bushings and all if it would help
Old 09-05-2017, 01:26 AM
Instructor

Almost 100 views and know one has any knowledge of this
Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 AM
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
I hear a click sometimes but that's the ABS. It's been mentioned on this forum before. This may also help you if you're AT:

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-...g-stop-721990/

May be help if you post some videos that document the sound. However, if you're hearing some clicks when you turn, it could be your CV axles.
Old 09-05-2017, 04:04 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I think I have the same issue, or something very similar. I have an audible "clicking" or "binding" noise coming from the front right side of the vehicle when I take off from a stop and when braking coming to a stop. I can replicate the noise when pulling into my garage slowly and then slamming on the brakes. The harder I brake the more clicks I hear. I had my father drive my car back and forth in my garage and slam the brakes while I laid on the ground and tried to pin point a location... It seemed to be coming from the area of the front lower control arm bushing, or near the engine cradle mount. I can also hear the noise when I pull into my driveway and my wheels hit the curb. Now what gets more interesting is that I also hear the clicking sound when turning the wheel left or right, but not all the time. I do know that the front lower control arm bushings are worn and need to be replaced. I will take a video and post a link and then you can let me know if it is the same noise. It is driving me crazy! BTW what year and model are you driving? I'm in an 08 TL-S with 87k miles on it.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tpz76
I think I have the same issue, or something very similar. I have an audible "clicking" or "binding" noise coming from the front right side of the vehicle when I take off from a stop and when braking coming to a stop. I can replicate the noise when pulling into my garage slowly and then slamming on the brakes. The harder I brake the more clicks I hear. I had my father drive my car back and forth in my garage and slam the brakes while I laid on the ground and tried to pin point a location... It seemed to be coming from the area of the front lower control arm bushing, or near the engine cradle mount. I can also hear the noise when I pull into my driveway and my wheels hit the curb. Now what gets more interesting is that I also hear the clicking sound when turning the wheel left or right, but not all the time. I do know that the front lower control arm bushings are worn and need to be replaced. I will take a video and post a link and then you can let me know if it is the same noise. It is driving me crazy! BTW what year and model are you driving? I'm in an 08 TL-S with 87k miles on it.
05 150k miles
Old 09-05-2017, 10:22 AM
Instructor

i spent my fair share already, do you mind spending cash changing your bushings at lmk what changes ina week or two lol
Old 09-05-2017, 10:57 AM
Instructor

I just spent a ton of cash on shocks and motor mounts...LOL. I'll get to the bushings in a few weeks I hope.
Old 09-06-2017, 01:08 AM
Instructor

I just spent a ton of cash on shocks and motor mounts...LOL. I'll get to the bushings in a few weeks I hope.
Haha nice i just installed new shocks last weekend and did the motor mounts with my dad (all three) and lemme tell you easily the toughest thing to replace on our car imo is our rear engine mount
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 AM
Instructor

yeah I only got the front and side mounts. I am pretty sure the front is toast... figured the side one would be a good option to replace as well. Did you do the rear shocks? I tried to do mine a few days back and for the life of me could not get the unit out around the rear suspension, if the car was on a lift I may have been able to get it out.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:20 AM
Instructor

yeah I only got the front and side mounts. I am pretty sure the front is toast... figured the side one would be a good option to replace as well. Did you do the rear shocks? I tried to do mine a few days back and for the life of me could not get the unit out around the rear suspension, if the car was on a lift I may have been able to get it out.
nah i havent attempted those since my rear ones have no issues
Old 09-17-2017, 04:14 AM
Instructor

So I have done some more research and have discovered that dry axle splines can cause clicking noises similar to what I believe we are experiencing. I am going to completely tear down my front suspension next week at a friends shop. If it is not the axle splines binding and causing the noise, my only other logical source would be the subframe or "engine cradle". Only reason I lean towards that is cause the clicking noise I hear sounds like a soft metal creaking. I'm so lost. LOL
Old 09-19-2017, 01:23 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So I have done some more research and have discovered that dry axle splines can cause clicking noises similar to what I believe we are experiencing. I am going to completely tear down my front suspension next week at a friends shop. If it is not the axle splines binding and causing the noise, my only other logical source would be the subframe or "engine cradle". Only reason I lean towards that is cause the clicking noise I hear sounds like a soft metal creaking. I'm so lost. LOL
The clicking on sharp turns of the wheels could be the axel(s) binding due to lack of greese (torn boot) or just wear. I had mine like this for awhile and it would always be worse in the colder weather. I had the axels replaced and it went away.

I also have a VERY similar creaking when starting and stopping that drove me nuts. Most noticeably when I would let off the clutch. That turned out to be a combination of rear sway bar bushing and the biggest contributor to the sound was motor mounts (but it sounds like you did those already).
Old 09-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Instructor

Yeah I don't get clicking at all on turns, it seems to be only when there is a transfer of weight front or back, I have not yet changed my motor mounts, I will be doing so soon. I will post after that job is done and see if that was the culprit.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:59 PM
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
For those wanting to follow a similar frustrating hunt, you can keep tabs on this thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...ething-962466/

My creak only happens if I'm stationary or going at "parking lot" speeds (i.e., very slowly). I have a single creak/click on either side of center and then several creaks at the outer edges of the turn radius. I can easily reproduce it by turning the car on, turning the wheel all the way to one side or the other, and then stay out at the turn edges going back and forth with the wheel. Thus far, nobody's been able to identify the source. I'm taking it to AAMCO tomorrow morning since they did a transmission rebuild and all new motor mounts a little over a year ago. I don't even care what it is at this point; I just want someone to identify it with 100% certainty so I can do the repair (and only do it once)...