Cracked dashboard in '04 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HondaFan81
Perhaps I can shed some light on this being a northerner.

My 04 TL (72K miles) has parchment/tan interior and I'm 3rd owner. First owner from Illinois, 2nd from Minnesota and I am from Michigan.

Since my purchase date, this TL has had a vertical 2-3 inch crack right of Acura emblem in center of steering wheel and no other dash related cracks. Based on this thread, the crack is probably along the edge of the airbag compartment. This plastic is black, along with entire steering wheel. Also, I've wondered if this crack is a result of the sun or the heat given off by the steering wheel controls that I've noticed given my residence. The front of my dash is parchment/tan color and only the top section is black near the windshield. To this day, I have no cracks besides the steering wheel cover.

In reading a majority of this thread the commonality is hot, sunny climates such as Hawaii and southern U.S. states. Also, the locations seem to be near airbag compartments. I agree with the thermal expansion concepts between the differences in material behind the dash and I bet it is at the 90 degree angles in combination with thin material. They probably should have increased thickness and the radius angle of these areas to prevent thermal stress fractures/cracks.

Now, I also am thinking that the common interiors with cracks are the ebony/black interiors?

I believe that my TL's history in IL, MN and MN in combination with a lighter color interior has decreased my chance of dash cracks.

FYI...

I actually was looking for lighter color interiors when researching TL's because I wanted less stress on the interior and not to burn myself with hot black leather. This was coincidental to this thread, I was unaware of this.

Also, I only apply Armor All on the plastics and Meguiars leather conditioner on leather every couple months.

The steering wheel cover crack does not bother me and I would only consider fixing it if I can simply replace the cover. Otherwise, it's not worth the hassle.
The cover seems to be integral to the airbag unit:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

and it costs 500 bucks. Too bad, because it's fairly easy to remove the unit. Someone braver than I might find one that has deployed and see how easy it is to remove just the cover. Even if it's easy, I'm not going to get that rough with a live one, so it's a moot point.
Old 12-23-2010, 11:19 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
Looks like this is a 04-06 issue only, Possibly some of the 06 models have been changed halfway through with the new part # 77120-SEP-A03ZA all older models have part # 77120-SEP-A02ZA. On the 07 and 08 Models the cars come with the newer part # already on the car as you can see Revised part # are in RED for 04-06.

2004 http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/P...gPicture=False

2005 http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/P...gPicture=False

2006 http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/P...gPicture=False

2007 http://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/P...gPicture=False
Old 12-23-2010, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts
So hopefully Acura has Cracked dash problems fixed on the newer part# 77120-SEP-A03ZA and I forgot to look closer there is a older part# 77120-SEP-A01ZA for the 04 TL so three part# all together. 77120-SEP-A01ZA, 77120-SEP-A02ZA, and the newest 77120-SEP-A03ZA
Old 12-25-2010, 07:55 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought an '04 with a cracked dash, but I got it at about $4K under the sticker price so the dash wasn't a major concern. Judging from what I've read on here so far I should call corporate and establish a case number before calling the dealeship and requesting it be covered under "goodwill". The dealership I bought it from mentioned getting a "goodwill" fix too, but that I'd need to go to another dealer to get it since they were aware of the problem when I bought from them.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
low budget mike lowery!

You can add me to the list of people with cracked dashes. Myself and at least three of my friends are having the same problem. This should be considered a recall due to so many reported incidents. I understand that it would be a loss for Acura/ Honda but you'd think that they would want to keep a normally loyal customer base happy.

By the way I own an 04' with Navigation. The rest of the car is in excellent condition.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Intermediate

You and your friends need to just call Acura's Corporate and complain about it. They will then give you a case number and then have you bring it to Acura for them to inspect and take pictures. Then they will give you a call and let you know the results. Acura agreed to goodwill 90% and I paid $153 OTD. I've had this problem a little over 2 years. Last year I complained and got nothing. This year it kept getting worst so I complained again and was so angry you could even tell in my voice tone lol. But its all done and over with! So to those with this problem, complain to corporate!

Originally Posted by sabotfiveo
You can add me to the list of people with cracked dashes. Myself and at least three of my friends are having the same problem. This should be considered a recall due to so many reported incidents. I understand that it would be a loss for Acura/ Honda but you'd think that they would want to keep a normally loyal customer base happy.

By the way I own an 04' with Navigation. The rest of the car is in excellent condition.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Intermediate

Hey guys, I took my 05 TL to Jerry Damson Acura in Huntsville, AL about a month and a half ago and asked them about the cracked dash. About a week later, I got this email:

Hello,

After speaking with the DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) with Acura, he has agreed to assist with the replacement of the dash. This offer is good thru December 9th in order for you to make a decision whether or not you would like to proceed with repair. The cost to replace the dash outright is $1,791.30+tax, with Acura’s assistance he has reduced that down to a Warranty Deductible of $608.63, this total is your out of pocket price to replace the dash. Please contact me at the below information if you would like me to go ahead and order the dash.

Richard Felch
Platinum Service Manager
Jerry Damson Acura
2402 Leeman Ferry Road
Huntsville, AL35801
E-mail: rfelch@damson.com
Direct line: (256) 382-3784
Service: (256) 539-5300

I called him and told him I appreciated the help, but that wasn't going to work. He told me this wasn't his decision, but it was the regional manager's. I told him I would be calling Acura myself, and he told me that would be the best thing to do. I've been out of country for a while, so I haven't had time to call them yet, but I plan on doing it this week.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by sprkyspe
Hey guys, I took my 05 TL to Jerry Damson Acura in Huntsville, AL about a month and a half ago and asked them about the cracked dash. About a week later, I got this email:

Hello,

After speaking with the DPSM (District Parts and Service Manager) with Acura, he has agreed to assist with the replacement of the dash. This offer is good thru December 9th in order for you to make a decision whether or not you would like to proceed with repair. The cost to replace the dash outright is $1,791.30+tax, with Acura’s assistance he has reduced that down to a Warranty Deductible of $608.63, this total is your out of pocket price to replace the dash. Please contact me at the below information if you would like me to go ahead and order the dash.

Richard Felch
Platinum Service Manager
Jerry Damson Acura
2402 Leeman Ferry Road
Huntsville, AL35801
E-mail: rfelch@damson.com
Direct line: (256) 382-3784
Service: (256) 539-5300

I called him and told him I appreciated the help, but that wasn't going to work. He told me this wasn't his decision, but it was the regional manager's. I told him I would be calling Acura myself, and he told me that would be the best thing to do. I've been out of country for a while, so I haven't had time to call them yet, but I plan on doing it this week.
Stay adament and it'll get done... You are going about things right so far bro. If you need help as away.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I'd better start reading all of these posts... I just noticed a few cracks in my dash as well.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I'd better start reading all of these posts... I just noticed a few cracks in my dash as well.

Take your car to Jackson Acura. Thats where I took my car and they helped me out a lot and gave me a rental in the new TL (ew) lol. I also know the service advisor there cause he use to work with me. =)
Old 12-29-2010, 11:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Atl_MissTheary
Take your car to Jackson Acura. Thats where I took my car and they helped me out a lot and gave me a rental in the new TL (ew) lol. I also know the service advisor there cause he use to work with me. =)
Can you put a warm call in for me or give me some names to drop? BTW, I'm out of warranty....
Old 12-29-2010, 02:10 PM
Racer

Just made an appointment for Friday at noon to "document" the crack... My crack is on the preforated part of the driver's side and runs toward the dash to the hard plastic and then around the outside of the preforation... Looks like i need to run a bead of black silicon around it...

Last edited by BuffBakerGA; 12-29-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats how mine started and I was kinda ok with that. Over the summer it started to crack around the pass air bag. Now its bothering me. I'm going to try and make a trip up there in a week or so and try and get the dash issue resolved.

Last edited by BoxOn20s; 12-29-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:17 PM
Racer

In and out in 20 minutes... Took pictures and they'll send them off to corporate so I should hear back in a few business days
Old 12-31-2010, 12:37 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Good luck man! They told me a few business days and it turned into almost 3 weeks.
Old 12-31-2010, 12:46 PM
Racer

I'll give them till next Friday and then I'll pepper them... I need them more than they need me so I'll kill them with kindness
Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 PM

Received 9,507 Likes on 6,176 Posts
Good strategy
Old 12-31-2010, 12:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BuffBakerGA
I'll give them till next Friday and then I'll pepper them... I need them more than they need me so I'll kill them with kindness
Exactly right. Just keep you cool... All nor most should be fine in the end.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:12 PM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CLtotheTL32
Good luck man! They told me a few business days and it turned into almost 3 weeks.
I was in and out in about 15 minutes, but it took them almost 3 weeks to get back to me. When I finally decided to call them and get the bad news. That they were not going to do anything about it. I try pulling everything to convince them in the beginning of how it dangers it could be and more.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 AM
Racer

Really the only thing I have going for me is that Atl_MissTheary had success at this same dealership and they payed 90% of the bill with "Goodwill" funds... If I get the same deal I'll be satisfied.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:34 AM
5th Gear

My dash just cracked on the driver's side and the passengers side.. I should of went with a mercedes!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM
2004 Acura TL

I have an 04 tl. When it comes to warranty issues be stern and confident. Don't take no for an answer. I had to take my tl in for a tranny, 96k, that went. I was still under the warranty but the service writer tried to tell me that I wasn't. I pulled out all paperwork then his tune chaged. Always let them know that you are familiar with the procedures. Service Writers are fearfull of of the surveys we complete over the phone. They work for you. and before you take your car to your local dealership do some research go to the one with the highest rateing. I have several here in nyc but I frequent only a few the other suck. Fyi if your under warranty and your car isn't driveable the dealer tows it for free. All this info is in the warranty book that we throw napkings and burger king ketchup ontop.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Racer

The car was out of warranty when I bought it so being firm can work up to a point. If they say "No, full boat price" then I'll be firm... You happen to be within your warranty so being firm would definitely work, especially if you had documentation and they tried to balk out of the work... Actually its stories like that that piss me off. You paid for a service upfront and they are trying to get out of it... That's like me give someone a $1000 to fix my car for 5 years and after 4.75 years I need them to fix it and they say "No, the money is mine, its past the 5yrs."

I always clean out and clean up my car before I take it in. I believe that if they know you're meticulous with your car and you take care of it, they'll will take care of you...
Old 01-05-2011, 01:40 AM
Intermediate

Angry 04 dash

i went to my local acura dealer again and talked to the manager about the dash problem in my 04 tl and you guys wouldnt believe what he told me he said that the dash problems are because we let our cars out in the sun and told me that he used to own one and that he didn't have that problem so i told him if i need to put the car in a cristal box or something like that he was acting like a f....ng idiot and told me that the dash wasnt their problem when an employee (READ MY LAST POST) had told me the last time i went that they would cover half the price so i mentioned it to the bastard and he said that if i wanted a new dash it would cost me full price 2 g's since i live in P.R. i left so could anyone tell me what should i do?
Old 01-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Racer

The dealership survey and calling corporate are your best tools. Document as much of the conversation as possible with the manager's name, title, and dealership. Even if they do nothing at least you've put him on the radar with corporate and then move on to another dealership...
Old 01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jr-type-R
i went to my local acura dealer again and talked to the manager about the dash problem in my 04 tl and you guys wouldnt believe what he told me he said that the dash problems are because we let our cars out in the sun and told me that he used to own one and that he didn't have that problem so i told him if i need to put the car in a cristal box or something like that he was acting like a f....ng idiot and told me that the dash wasnt their problem when an employee (READ MY LAST POST) had told me the last time i went that they would cover half the price so i mentioned it to the bastard and he said that if i wanted a new dash it would cost me full price 2 g's since i live in P.R. i left so could anyone tell me what should i do?
that was malaret right ? i had the same problem we should write to acura
Old 01-06-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned

Well being that used vulgarities to 2 writers for not giving you the answer you wanted, you will be well know there i'm sure as they'll be bringing up this customer at there next meeting. You can write Acura but i can almost assure you that dealers service manger will talk to the rep handling your case a Acura Customer Affairs and explain to to them how rude you had been on 2 different occasions and could even possibly refuse service. If there is another dealer on the island, You can bet they've been warned about you.

Heres a story. When i lived in Orlando Hollar honda Looked at my tranny issues (there was a tsb) They decided since i was 19 that i prob abused the thing. So after calling AHC they said they'd take the dealers side. I was nice, etc as my even sat 2 months. I went to BBB for arbitration. Do you know i brough my friend as a witness who was starting to have the same issues and the rep for honda told him that they'd fix theirs free np. So when we went back upstairs after looking at both cars (mine had to be their as evidence), my friend told the retired judge that he offered him a no-charge fix while he was with me looking at my car. I later won but AHC called and said Hollar Honda (loosing party) refused to touch it and to take the car to Cogging Honda..lol. You can fight you battles but you have to do it the right way or you are done.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:16 PM
#truuuuu

about to get my car sent in to Acura to get it fixed! i'll post up before and after pictures. i have a 2004, and 91xxx miles and out of warranty and they're charging me 398 + tax. they asked me for my vin#, history of cars that i owned (hondas and acuras only) and called me back a few hours later and told me the price. can't beat that. dash has been getting worst over the years, and now finally getting it fixed for a reasonable price.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:11 PM
Racer

Received 91 Likes on 34 Posts
Just went to Rick Case Acura in SFL since ive seen people have had luck there.

They took down my name, vin, milage, number, and he said he is going to see if he can get a good will and mentioned that 50% off or so would be a good deal. He also said it would take about a week or two to hear back from Honda with an offer. Has anyone else gone through such a procedure? Ive just assumed that it was just sort of on spot offers.

Ill keep you guys updated. I hope Rick Case pulls through again. they've been good to me on numerous occasions and to other people as well.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:36 PM
Racer

I just bought a 05 do all the dashes crack? I am really nervous now
Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dinks07
I just bought a 05 do all the dashes crack? I am really nervous now
More in locations with longer months of warm/hot weather. One way to help prevent this is to put up a sun shield when not in the car. And get windows tinted. Even the lightest tints (50%) will block 100% of the UV rays which is cause of dash cracks and leather drying out issues. Tint does have a real purpose that's over just being cool.

That's just my .02... Get tint and wind shield sun blocker.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 PM
Racer

ok anything to put on the dash to help windows are tinted already
Old 01-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dinks07
ok anything to put on the dash to help windows are tinted already
Same conditioner you use for leather/vinyl.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 15 Posts
Just thought I would add this in-

I have an 04 that I bought in '09 with 65k on it, and within 3 months I had a huge (front-to-back) crack develop on the textured vinyl above the instrument cluster. I live in FL, but the car is tinted to 35% and I always use sunshades.

This past December I took a trip to the northern widwest (OH, WI, IL..) and.. surprise! Four or five new cracks appeared due to the cold. It got down to about 17 one night, and thats when I noticed them.

I think we've all figured out that thermal stress is what causes this, but apparently it's not ONLY heat! What a bummer.

It is sad that there's NOTHING we can do to prevent this. I'm going to try my hand at calling Acura to see what they can do.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

My O4 has the worst dash of any other TL i have seen any place. Went to dealer, keep in mind i have 132k they said ok we will help $860 bucks to replace. Nah to much checked around and saw that you have to play hardball with them. I can get part $700 on my own but i have to install and really im not playing this game with acura. The 04 was a new model it will have problems but their no dout they got the plastic mix wrong on the dash. I told the dealer i fix the clutch, seats are alittle faded, axles,Tbelt sure i will fix myself its normal wear. BUT the dash nah you fix it my 40 year old bronco has ONE crack in the dash. My 38,000 dollar acura has dam cracks from one side to the other all the way down to the gauges. The acura general manager could not belive i had such a f*** up dash. ANy how i will not pay $860 dollars full price for the part to have it installed for free? Called spoke with general manager told him i had no choice but to file a small claim. Now i have there attention they reviewed my case and said $700 part and install. Should I just do it? Or keep hammering them also we bought this and my sister a TL SAME DAY BOTH PAID IN FULL. They better fix the dam thing
Old 01-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sabotfiveo

the problem is that many of them don't report the problem
Old 01-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Plastic schmastic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
No way I'm reading through 364 previous posts, but what caused Infiniti to step up and cover their dashes? Outside pressure or internal decision?
Old 02-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
Stay adament and it'll get done... You are going about things right so far bro. If you need help as away.
Well, called Acura Client Services, they told me that based on my customer loyalty (this is my first Acura, so there's not any) that what the dealer offered would be the best they could do. I went on a rant for about 5 minutes, asking them "how do you expect me to remain loyal to you and buy Acura in the future, when you won't cover a material defect like this?" Apparently the guy documented everything I said, but no backing down on their part.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sprkyspe
Well, called Acura Client Services, they told me that based on my customer loyalty (this is my first Acura, so there's not any) that what the dealer offered would be the best they could do. I went on a rant for about 5 minutes, asking them "how do you expect me to remain loyal to you and buy Acura in the future, when you won't cover a material defect like this?" Apparently the guy documented everything I said, but no backing down on their part.
I'm sorry bro. So what do you plan to do?
Old 02-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ParaSurfer1979
I'm sorry bro. So what do you plan to do?
Im typing a letter similar to this guy's:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...8&postcount=62

We'll see how it goes from there

Quick Reply: Cracked dashboard in '04 TL