Code Help: P0498 P0171 P0174

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 11:31 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code Help: P0498 P0171 P0174

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 TL-S and 'm getting these 3 codes. Before anyone say anything, I did google and did search the forum. I'm slowly going through all the threads with P0171 and P0174 together but so far none with all 3 codes.
The reason I'm starting the thread is because of the fact that I've gone through the P0171 and P0174 threads, I have learned that if both codes are on at the same time, it most likely rules out things like O2 sensor.
So it shows the diagnoses has different meaning if 2 codes are on at the same time. So I'm hoping these 3 at the same time hints where the problem is and P0498 seems to be an EVAP system code, someone more knowledgeable may know what causes all 3.

1.) I originally kept getting a tighten fuel cap light. I thought that was causing the codes to appear. Going off what I've read on forums, I changed out the Vapor Canister Purge Valve. It fixed the issue which was great but unfortunately, it didn't fix the codes.

2.) The check engine lights come on and goes away on its own. It seems to happen every other day. Sometimes on the same day. One start up I get the light, the next it is gone. Some people say sometimes its just the weather. It is pretty cold in Chicago right now, its hovering around 0 to 20 degrees right now. However, I figure it can't just be weather, something is definitely not working properly because my gas mileage is terrible. I see other post showing people getting 20 to 25 miles per gallon. I get terrible gas mileage. I only do city driving but 10 to 12 mpg seems way below average even for city.

3.) Reset the codes and the 3 comes back.

4.) One thread suggested that updating the programming fixed it. I bought the car in 2017 from original owner. I would think in 10 years, it would have been updated at one point but that would just be an assumption. This seems to be the simplest and cheapest fix but unfortunately not one I can do myself. However, if the general consensus thinks this would fix it, I would bring it in to Acura dealer.

5.) Occasionally, when I turn on the heat, I'd get a bad stink, like dirty socks. I changed the air cabin filter, doesn't seem to be that. I can't replicate it either. It just sometimes smells and sometimes doesn't, regardless of rain or snow. Some suggest maybe that bad CAT can cause this or sometimes I can get that smell during VTEC but I can't replicate the smell, it just comes and goes, it doesn't happen often though.

6.) I tried to mention as much "symptoms" as I can but besides everything I mentioned above, no other signs of anything wrong. Car idles fine, car cranks and starts up like any 10 year old car would at this age, no surge in rpms, etc.

I hate to start a if there is a solution somewhere but again, I didn't find one with all 3 codes, I suppose its possible I have 2 problems instead of 1. P0498 being a separate issue and P0171 and P0174 being the 2nd issue. If you guys believe its 2 different issues, then we can close this thread and I'll follow the steps of other P0171 and P0174 threads here and then figure out the P0498. However, if you guys feel its related, then I couldn't find any thread with these 3 code combination, hoping someone with more expertise can chime in.

I'm willing to try any suggestion diagnosing posted, however, I'm not very handy. I have a lot of tools and I do a lot of small fixes by myself but I wouldn't be able to attempt anything big.

Thanks
Old 01-19-2018, 08:38 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 649 Likes on 349 Posts
4.) One thread suggested that updating the programming fixed it. I bought the car in 2017 from original owner. I would think in 10 years, it would have been updated at one point but that would just be an assumption. This seems to be the simplest and cheapest fix but unfortunately not one I can do myself. However, if the general consensus thinks this would fix it, I would bring it in to Acura dealer.
I purchased my 08TL-s from a dealer 2 weeks ago. 3 days later the check engine light was on. The next day I was at the dealer. They had the car for an hour. Finally came back that it needed a software update of some sort. It's been a week and no light. Granted I did not experience any performance issues at all. The engine light doesn't always mean something is horrible. Just get it checked out. Worth the piece of mind.

5.) Occasionally, when I turn on the heat, I'd get a bad stink, like dirty socks. I changed the air cabin filter, doesn't seem to be that. I can't replicate it either. It just sometimes smells and sometimes doesn't, regardless of rain or snow. Some suggest maybe that bad CAT can cause this or sometimes I can get that smell during VTEC but I can't replicate the smell, it just comes and goes, it doesn't happen often though.

I'm not a mechanic but sounds to me like an emission issue. Could be something simple or not. Could have build up somewhere. Could be the gas that you put in. The car that I bought I figured based on the way it was maintained would have a ton of service records. Pulled the VIN and there were only about 10 service records. mostly recommended service intervals with some repairs. But never mentioned updates