Clutch squeek/pop/click...

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:33 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Clutch squeek/pop/click...

i have been having this problem in my 05 TL for quite some time now... also... I am experiencing this problem which is leading me to believe that my slave may be going out too...

problem exists when:

1: stopped at a red light for an extended period of time, with the clutch pedal pressed, staying in first gear. when i attempt to pull out, the clutch will grab either as soon as the pedal leaves the floor, or the whole way out... depends on how my car decides to act that day...

2: Acellerating through first gear, shifting into 2nd gear above 4,000rpm, shifting into third gear above 4,000rpm.. all is fine and dandy.... but any attempt to shift into fourth gear (at any rpm).. it feels as if im shifting without a clutch. if i press the pedal any harder, i fear i will become "fred flinstone"... sometimes the pedal decides to stay on the floor as well.

i have no idea what is going on here. all my previous cars have had cable/mechanical clutch setups... this hydraulic system is new to me. any ideas?

probable causes that im thinking...
1- clutch master cylinder
2- clutch slave cylinder
3- broken fork on the pressure plate..... =\

I'm really hoping it's not the last one. if anyone has experienced this problem in the past and knows how to fix it. or if any of your friends/relatives have experienced this problem and know how to fix it. or if you just have the knowlede on how to fix this problem... PLEASE let me know.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:34 AM
Cruisin'

gear grinds only occur durring the "fourth gear problem"... and 2nd gear on a cold start and immediate drive.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

Part # from the service bulletin is: 46920-S7A-A04

called a local Honda dealership and found out that vehicles that also use this are:
02-07 Accord
02-07 Civic
Element, etc....

$132.35 for the master cylinder.

i know it definitely needs replaced, and i am going to order it. But i kinda wanna know if my slave is bad too so i can replace it all at once and solve this problem.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
there is a TSB for this. check the 3G garage for details. follow the link and instructions...the TSB was released in 2011 or 2010.
The following users liked this post:
Tylormill3r (03-03-2012)
Old 03-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
there is a TSB for this. check the 3G garage for details. follow the link and instructions...the TSB was released in 2011 or 2010.
Thank you TLtrigirl. I have searched the forum extensively and have come across Technical Service Bulletin 11-004 several times. I have it downloaded on my computer, and i printed it out.

What I'm asking here.. is what the cause of the shifting problem may be?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Tylormill3r
Thank you TLtrigirl. I have searched the forum extensively and have come across Technical Service Bulletin 11-004 several times. I have it downloaded on my computer, and i printed it out.

What I'm asking here.. is what the cause of the shifting problem may be?
If you mean your problem with grinding this could be caused by your failing master cylinder, which is what it sounds like in your initial problem posting, or failing synchronizers, though we haven't been seeing that in second gear for these transmissions... almost always third gear.

BTW, you should avoid keeping the transmission in gear with the clutch depressed while waiting for a light to change. Prolonged use of this technique will shorten the life of your release bearing.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Cruisin'

yes, it sometimes grinds when up-shifting.

and the scenario of the "red-light" was hypothetical. neutral is my best friend. not trying to drop the tranny out on this car with all this crazy sensor bullshit...

i'm kind of missing my 91 civic and my 91 integra.... cable clutch... OBD-0... shift linkage, not shifter cables.... ugh... they dont make cars like they used to... =/