Clutch problem on my 06 TL, 7,100 miles only !!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:40 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch problem on my 06 TL, 7,100 miles only !!!

A couple of weeks ago, Jan 11, 2007 to be exact, I notice that my gears would not engage smoothly. I would shift and release the clutch and hit the gas only to have the car rev up and then rev back down to engage the gear. Called the Dealer and the technician over the phone thought it was a transmission issue. Made an appointment Jan 16th, to have the car checked. Got a call back from them saying they were certain it was the Clutch and needed my permission for a tear down, which I gave.
The dealer indicated that the clutch and flywheel had burn marks and upon inspection of the clutch assembly determined it was "driver history" that caused both the clutch and the flywheel wear. Possible causes. Riding the Clutch or just not knowing how to shift. Total repair cost $$2,300.
I have driven Manual for all the 27 years of my driving history (except for an occasional loaner/rental car) and I have never ever encountered a clutch issue.
Not satisfied with that decision, I called Acura client services to state my case and all they could tell me was it was a wear and tear item and that it is not covered under warranty.
Am I the only one in this? My vehicle as far as I am concerned is brand new. 7 months old and only 7,100 miles. Most of my driving is highway with very little stop and go. I just cannot believe that it was me that burnt the clutch and flywheel.
I contacted the BBB Auto Line as listed in the Warranty booklet, but all they can do is mediate between the consumer and manufacturer.
Can somebody please help, cause I am not sure what to do next!!
Old 04-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
how did you solve this problem?
Old 04-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

The same thing is happening to me!!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:00 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Originally Posted by Ahid
A couple of weeks ago, Jan 11, 2007 to be exact, I notice that my gears would not engage smoothly. I would shift and release the clutch and hit the gas only to have the car rev up and then rev back down to engage the gear. Called the Dealer and the technician over the phone thought it was a transmission issue. Made an appointment Jan 16th, to have the car checked. Got a call back from them saying they were certain it was the Clutch and needed my permission for a tear down, which I gave.
The dealer indicated that the clutch and flywheel had burn marks and upon inspection of the clutch assembly determined it was "driver history" that caused both the clutch and the flywheel wear. Possible causes. Riding the Clutch or just not knowing how to shift. Total repair cost $$2,300.
I have driven Manual for all the 27 years of my driving history (except for an occasional loaner/rental car) and I have never ever encountered a clutch issue.
Not satisfied with that decision, I called Acura client services to state my case and all they could tell me was it was a wear and tear item and that it is not covered under warranty.
Am I the only one in this? My vehicle as far as I am concerned is brand new. 7 months old and only 7,100 miles. Most of my driving is highway with very little stop and go. I just cannot believe that it was me that burnt the clutch and flywheel.
I contacted the BBB Auto Line as listed in the Warranty booklet, but all they can do is mediate between the consumer and manufacturer.
Can somebody please help, cause I am not sure what to do next!!
Mine failed differently. It never slipped, just suddenly I couldn't get it in gear, but the pedal still felt like the clutch was being released. The dealer says it's abusive wear, they didn't find any defective parts. I drive it in accordance with SouthernBoy's posts; I've had manual trans cars for 25 years and never had to replace a clutch, so I'm having real trouble with their 'abusive wear' claim. I have 18k miles on it.
Anybody have a diagram of the clutch assembly, and how this 'dual mass' flywheel takes the place of the conventional springs or elastomers in the clutch disc? Are there any other special features of the TL that are non-standard?
Thanks!!
Old 04-20-2007, 01:57 AM
71Q

Damn, i was hoping i wasnt the only one! I have an 05 with 38k miles on it. It does some strange stuff as well, and the dealer is basically saying i beat the car. Im angry as hell as i rarely see over 3k rpm, i like the near 30mpg's! I drive an 800hp manual car, with an unsprung hub 6 puck clutch and have no problems with 20+k on a 1000whp ready clutch! They said the flywheel had stress cracks in it, however the asshats never pulled the transmission out, so how am i to believe they actually saw the flywheel? You cant see enough through an inspection cover! Im really upset that they lie, and blame abuse on me, and considering the responses you all have with the acura representatives, im not sure how to fight it. We are not the only ones with problems, and my car is BONE stock, even a factory air filter!

If anyone has any ideas, please post them up, as my car is in service now, and they want 1700 to do a clutch. A**holes! I wanted the car to be reliable. Not a toilet that i have to baby. I would just like some retribution. Not to mention if the disc has plenty of meat on it there should be no problems. It has to be a defective pressure plate! I was already mad, seeing people get treated as poorly makes me more angry!
Old 04-20-2007, 10:32 AM
3rd Gear

Still fuming

To answer "mlody", Acura offered me a goodwill package, whereby they paid 50% of the repair charges which came to a total of $1800, so it was an out of pocket expense of $900 for me, for what I still believe is not my fault. I took the deal because I had run out of options and almost everybody I spoke to, including an attorney, indicated it was the best I would muster.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:45 AM
71Q

The auto manufacurers are asshats, and its a shame we dont get more protection as a consumer of the product they market with a term "total luxury care". Im happy to hear at least SOMETHING came out of pocket for you, but its a shame they wont even back the cars they sell at the low mileage as you have.

Good luck, hopefully something good comes of this for you!

take care
Mark
Old 04-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

It appears that the TSXs have similar problems, according to this thread on a different site: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0e6184
I looked a little on the TSX side of this site, but didn't find quickly the same problems, but I didn't look too hard.

722ish, did yours fail 'tight', or 'loose'? Did yours have the 3rd gear problem before this happened?
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 AM
71Q

Originally Posted by sandynmike
It appears that the TSXs have similar problems, according to this thread on a different site: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0e6184
I looked a little on the TSX side of this site, but didn't find quickly the same problems, but I didn't look too hard.

722ish, did yours fail 'tight', or 'loose'? Did yours have the 3rd gear problem before this happened?

Mine isnt completely dead yet, but getting worse daily. They changed the gear oil, and of course, it didnt fix anything. Actually, it seems to have made it worse, notchy gearchanges, and i can feel synchros now, and it used to be butter smooth aside the 3rd gear hang up. Decel is when i notice the clutch inconsistency the most, and where i see it changing. It gets more difficult by day to modulate the clutch in the TL, and its almost as if i constantly have to relearn the clutch engagement/disengagement points. The dealer says i am abusing it, and that irritates me the most. I play hard in my other car, i break shit, and i deserve it. I know it costs money to mess around like that, and im only willing to do that with toys i dont drive everyday. Its a shame, instead of a manual feeling like a fun/responsible daily driver, i have to worry if it will crap out and IF they will fix it. I love the TL, its obviously why i bought one, but ill be damned if they will take care of the car. Sorry about the long winded rants, im fairly pissed after getting my car back from the dealer today. 2 weeks of rentals has resulted in a car that drives worse than when i took it there, and the passenger door lock switch isnt working. heh, go figure.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

This thread:
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/anyone-familiar-civics-no-not-about-algayzas-window-washer-leds-157557/
Has pictures of the clutch they took out of my car. I'm trying to get them to explain how the parts show I abused it, so I haven't agreed to the $800 yet.
I'm with you guys, I haven't abused the car, and I know what abuse is.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:41 AM
Intermediate

I had the third gear thing until I put in the GM stuff.

I have had very strange things happen like, with the VSA turned off a sudden loss of power in second gear.

The other day I shifted from 6th to 5th and the rpms jumped to redline for a sec then back down. The smell of burned clutch stayed with me all the way home.

I bought the car with about 5k on it with warranty.

Is this thing a true piece of crap except for the engine?

It's an 05 with 18 k on it now. Bone stock. I don't race.