Clutch clicking noise and third gear shudder

Old 03-28-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Clutch clicking noise and third gear shudder

Hello all,

Both issues mentioned above may not be related but I am experiencing shuddering when I shift my gear to the third as if i am on a higher gear at low speed. Also, my clutch seems to create clicking noise when pressed all the way. The last three times i reported this to the dealer, they changed the clutch master cylinder and told me that it is alright. But I still hear the clicking noise more like Tik-Tok. I am starting to wonder if there is a clutch problem which is causing the shuddering as well. I asked them to check the clutch for wear and tear and see if it was time to replace the clutch...but the mechanic said that I still have around 20K miles on it. they took the car on a test drive and said that they don't feel any kind of shuddering. I drive at least 40 miles a day and I experience it almost every time. The clutch also feels tight the more i press it towards the floor as.

A bit of a history, I had the 3rd gear syncro issue two years back and the dealer replaced the third gear under warranty after which I had absolutely no issues. I am confused as to what is causing this now. Can any one give me some pointers for diagnosis?

Thanks
Naresh
Old 03-31-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced

BUMP - - - anyone????
Old 03-31-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
For the clicking sound, try spraying a little white lithium grease at the clutch pedal spring, actuation rod, and the hanger (where the pedal attaches and swings). You will most likely have to remove the lower dash cover to get to this area. Also check the hydraulic fluid level for the clutch control system.

As for the shuttering, please give a little better description of the problem. For example, do you feel vibrations when engaging the clutch and is it only occurring in third gear?
Old 04-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the response. I will apply the grease tonight and let you know about the clicking noise. the shudder happens on all gears now but more on 3rd...It shudders after shifting and releasing the clutch to move....the entire car shakes and I squeeze the clutch to stop that from happening.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Not sure what you mean by squeezing the clutch, but I am going to assume you slightly depress it. Please offer some feedback on this. Question: Do you feel any vibrations once the clutch is fully engaged?

Now what I want you to do is to perform a simple little test to see if your clutch is slipping. Find a nice piece of level road or a large parking lot where you can do this safely and not have to worry about other vehicles messing you up. Get your car going to where you are in third gear and your engine is turning around 3000 RPM. Now go full throttle while applying enough brake force to keep the car from accelerating (Warning: don't do this too long!). If you engine speed suddenly increases and your road speed does not, your clutch is slipping.

You mentioned the mechanic said you had about 20,000 miles left on your clutch. My question would be, how does he know this? He would have had to have done a bit of disassembly in order to inspect your clutch assembly and I doubt he did this. Send me a PM so we can discuss this further.