Clunk noise rear driver suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 05:57 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Received 290 Likes on 267 Posts
Clunk noise rear driver suspension...

OK, so here it is. It has been existing for a couple months now and could safely say it was after the fact of installing coil overs. But without assuming it is the actual coil over itself and perhaps due to something done or not done during install. If I am correct, I remember the noise DID NOT exists immediately. It did start gradually as time passed (approx 2-3wks). I also have removed the back seat just to make sure all was buttoned up nice and tight...It was secure.

So w/o completely removing the entire c/o has anyone had a issues or similar issue with a clunking/loose sounding coil over after install? BTW: These c/o were purchased BRAND NEW! And the sound seems like and is very strong on the top end of the rear c/o driver side. As if directly behind the rear seat or top hat end of the c/o. HELP! Share any experiences or problems to help with mine.

Thanks ahead of time
Old 05-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
End links tightened properly?
Old 05-19-2012, 06:35 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by TLDude876
End links tightened properly?
I believe we checked those also, including the sway bar since someone said it makes a loud noise also. But it def sounds like its coming from up top...VERY ANNOYING!!! I am trying anything tho.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I'm going to bite my tongue on your coil selection but which did you go with, I seem to remember ht spec and I heard they have a tophat issue. I am sorry of I'm wrong on the brand...it was mentioned by Tim (innacurate)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:49 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I'm going to bite my tongue on your coil selection but which did you go with, I seem to remember ht spec and I heard they have a tophat issue. I am sorry of I'm wrong on the brand...it was mentioned by Tim (innacurate)
yeah...I didn't want to say the name and put the man on blast and have this issue reflect him as a vendor or his outstanding c/s. But YES...It the HT F&F Type I v2...Pls do tell this top hat issue... Because that sounds like it! And I was going to go to TCTOYZ to remove this c/o and check the top hat itself to see if it is seated flat up top...or something.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:07 PM

Second hand information...heard tophat is installed upside down. Pm. Innacurate.
The following users liked this post:
JayVee (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Second hand information...heard tophat is installed upside down. Pm. Innacurate.
I can only HOPE...That will solve my issue. I will look into it! Because it is loud, annoying and def as if something is loose or falling apart. But directly coming from the top of the suspension w/o a doubt! Thanks!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:50 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I was thinking of this HEADS UP u rec'd and is this the case even if installed/assembled by vendor or manufacture?
Old 05-20-2012, 04:31 PM
6SPEED FEVER

Received 119 Likes on 97 Posts
Ht doesn't assemble or handles the Coilover......they ship straight from the manufacture......
A lot of people are confused on what ht spec means...it's not a brand...it's more like their stamp on a product they believe is good because they have tested and used them....

I had these coilovers and hated them.....but that's just me
Old 05-20-2012, 04:44 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by EATSLEEPRACE
Ht doesn't assemble or handles the Coilover......they ship straight from the manufacture......
A lot of people are confused on what ht spec means...it's not a brand...it's more like their stamp on a product they believe is good because they have tested and used them....

I had these coilovers and hated them.....but that's just me
No... i totally understand and knew that. Just asking a confussed question since rs143 bringing up the top hats being upside down and when installed we did not disassemble them... so just weighing out possibilities...thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 04:48 PM

Tim said he was considering these and another set of coils in another thread...one day he said he was no longer considering these for the reason given, they were manufactured incorrectly (no the vendor's fault). That's all I know...

But I also recall you asking me which to go with and what my answer was
Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Tim said he was considering these and another set of coils in another thread...one day he said he was no longer considering these for the reason given, they were manufactured incorrectly (no the vendor's fault). That's all I know...

But I also recall you asking me which to go with and what my answer was
NOT NOW JEREMY! STFO!

...lol
Old 05-20-2012, 06:32 PM

You're lucky I'm going easy on you since you just had such an emotional rollercoaster...trying to help but at the same time resisting urge to be a total dick!
JayVee (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:38 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

You're lucky I'm going easy on you since you just had such an emotional rollercoaster...trying to help but at the same time resisting urge to be a total dick!
Thanks...I think...lol
Old 05-21-2012, 05:26 PM
6SPEED FEVER

I suggest you remove it and completely inspect the shock...you are not alone though....

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-cl-tires-wheels-suspension-54/after-installing-function-form-type-1-rear-clunks-847152/

When I had them I hated them...I would get clunking in front ,like if it was bottoming out and squeaks going up on un even driveways...

These coilovers are over rated....everytime I get a chance ,I let people know how much they lack quality....
Old 05-21-2012, 07:20 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I suggest you remove it and completely inspect the shock...you are not alone though....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=847152

When I had them I hated them...I would get clunking in front ,like if it was bottoming out and squeaks going up on un even driveways...

These coilovers are over rated....everytime I get a chance ,I let people know how much they lack quality....
Yeah, looks like I will have no choice but full removal of the item for full inspection. I also saw that thread u posted and saw his was straight up blown but was hoping it could have been a install issue on my end. But it is looking like more and more to be the c/o itself.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:28 PM

I'd contact Heeltoe before you do ANYTHING...if that's who you bought it from, he may be able to answer some questions before wasting your time.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:48 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I'd contact Heeltoe before you do ANYTHING...if that's who you bought it from, he may be able to answer some questions before wasting your time.
approx month ago or so when I first became concern with the noise and the annoyance, I called Marcus and his recommendation was to remove the c/o and switch the sides. Ex. (R to L and L to R) to see of the issue/noise follows... Just seem to be a lil excessive wk for the inevitable. I just would like to know when this c/o is removed what signs can I look for or expect if the c/o is blown/shot signs of installed incorrect...etc. But doing all the wk switching sides on the entire rear and test driving for the possibility of the problem to exist just seems a waste. As U guys know, that is a lot of daym wk and there just has to be a better way to trouble shoot. Agree?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM

^^^Thats what I was getting at...I am almost certain that at this point, it's a known issue...so to just ask you to swap everything would be annoying...a blown shock should be super rough, no!?!? Like, not rebound well...or at all...allow for bottoming out.

If you decided you had made a mistake, would he allow for a refund for the N1's or Tein or something?!?! Pay him a deposit, have him send the new ones and then swap em...I can tell you now I'd be PISSED to have to do the swap back to OEM and then AGAIN to the next set of coils.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:07 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

^^^Thats what I was getting at...I am almost certain that at this point, it's a known issue...so to just ask you to swap everything would be annoying...a blown shock should be super rough, no!?!? Like, not rebound well...or at all...allow for bottoming out.

If you decided you had made a mistake, would he allow for a refund for the N1's or Tein or something?!?! Pay him a deposit, have him send the new ones and then swap em...I can tell you now I'd be PISSED to have to do the swap back to OEM and then AGAIN to the next set of coils.
Trust me...I am just thinking about it brotha.

I will def keep this thread fresh with info as I find out myself. I will update with no fluff or sugar coat. You guys are gonna get it how it comes. I am not happy! Especially, since this issue started almost immediate within the first 2 weeks of install.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I finally did get an email on this. I think you are the same guy who emailed me....anyway, addressing points brought up in this post:

We have had a couple people with a clunk in the rear that did take some time to figure out. In many cases where it was not an installation issue (THERE HAVE BEEN PLENTY OF THOSE), a new shock is needed. There is no issue with the top hat.

The problem was traced back to the shock having little damper resistance in the top 3/4" of travel or so. The lack of dampening in this range cause "topping out" of the shock which causes a clunk. It is considered a defect in a limited number of effected kits, and there has been 100% resolution with every complete WE HAVE RECEIVED by replacing the culprit shock under warranty. Note: People who bitched in the forums without contacting us most likely did not get resolution an slander the product.

YES, we ask that remote customers unable to come in for an inspection swap suspension from right to left. This dramatically reduces the possibility that it was an installation issue. What could be worse than sending a new part only to find that that was not the problem? This is not an excessive or unreasonable thing to ask people to do. YES, we do have installation issues come up that must be weeded out before blaming parts. WE DO THAT DILIGENCE HERE. Unlike most 'net mechanics who'd rather complain than work and learn something.

Now, addressing some finer points:

*Second hand information...heard tophat is installed upside down. Pm. Innacurate.*
This is absurd. How could you install a coilover kit with the top mount upside-down? We have never received notification of a problem like this, and therefore we cannot substantiate it at all.

*When I had them I hated them...I would get clunking in front ,like if it was bottoming out and squeaks going up on un even driveways...

These coilovers are over rated....everytime I get a chance ,I let people know how much they lack quality....*

It is ridiculous in my mind for you to buy a part, hate it, and then not circle back and let the company know who is promoting it. You are light on details here, and I understand getting into more details would be getting off topic, but still we have addressed and resolved every complaint we have had. These kits have gone through numerous revisions and updates all which dramatically improve the product.

That being said, these are not for everyone and we do not claim that they are. We recommend Tein products to many people, as do we Koni products, and other brands.

The clunking in the front most likely had a lot more to do with your height than these coilovers. I can tell by your avatar that you like it low. These cars have an inherent issue with control arms bottoming out on the shock towers. In nearly ALL cases of front end clunks, this is the cause. Not the suspension. There can be squeaks coming from a lot of places as well. This is the first IO'd heard of the coilovers squealing going up driveways and frankly sounds more like you have a creaking chassis or something.

Furthermore, we recently released new specs that indicate an increased front preload would further resolve issues with the front end being soft and bottoming too much. This fix was implemented on all new HTSpec kits and has been met with widespread praise by our customers. We don't know who you are, how old you kit was, if you had change the preload, if you had raised the car, or found evidence of bottoming.

It is very true. People get these coilovers and love them. They post all kinds of glorious things about them. I do not use these comments as selling points to this system. I KNOW IT IS A $599 COILOVER KIT. That is really inexpensive. These kits work very very well, especially considering the price point. There are bound to be some issues here and there, all of which are handled accordingly. However I do not think it is fair to call out and say they lack quality when you are getting them for such a low price and the quality of the service makes up for any misgivings about the kits themselves. If you are the sort of person who valu[U]es a higher end product then certainly buy a kit that costs more. This has always been my recommendation.

*I'd contact Heeltoe before you do ANYTHING...if that's who you bought it from, he may be able to answer some questions before wasting your time.*
Thanks for mentioning this. Given that people seem to lack the notion to go back to the source for information this advice is very important and useful.

*approx month ago or so when I first became concern with the noise and the annoyance, I called Marcus and his recommendation was to remove the c/o and switch the sides. Ex. (R to L and L to R) to see of the issue/noise follows... Just seem to be a lil excessive wk for the inevitable. I just would like to know when this c/o is removed what signs can I look for or expect if the c/o is blown/shot signs of installed incorrect...etc. But doing all the wk switching sides on the entire rear and test driving for the possibility of the problem to exist just seems a waste. As U guys know, that is a lot of daym wk and there just has to be a better way to trouble shoot. Agree?*
Are you kidding me? This work takes maybe an hour or two if you go really slow and is not difficult to do. I don't like the idea that you called me, I told you what the first step was going to be, and then you come here and complain about it. If you would have done what I asked, and the problem was with that corner, I could easily have had a new shock sent to you by now and it would be on your car. Problem solved, no need to this thread.

*^^^Thats what I was getting at...I am almost certain that at this point, it's a known issue...so to just ask you to swap everything would be annoying...a blown shock should be super rough, no!?!? Like, not rebound well...or at all...allow for bottoming out.

If you decided you had made a mistake, would he allow for a refund for the N1's or Tein or something?!?! Pay him a deposit, have him send the new ones and then swap em...I can tell you now I'd be PISSED to have to do the swap back to OEM and then AGAIN to the next set of coils.*

I am a little insulted that you of all people would think I was asking him to do this just to be annoying. Seriously? ME? This issue is not easy to nail down when you are hundreds or thousands of miles away from people. This issue does not manifest itself like a blown shock. It isn't a blown shock. If he felt it being wishy washy and bottoming all over, then yes maybe it was blown. But he didn't say that. Man...come on. Give me a friggin break.

"Made a mistake?" The only mistake was not doing as I instructed and getting to a resolution.

As far as this clunk being a "known issue," yes we have a direction and a root cause. We know what it CAN be. But to know for sure and not waste time it does make sense to do the diagnostics.

What really agitates me here people used to make all kinds of complaints about Tein as well. Whatever is the most popular at the time seems to get the most criticism as well.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:18 PM

To be honest, Marcus, I felt I chose my words and advice wisely...I made sure to claim that I was NOT the source of what I'd heard in reference to the "problem" I'd read about. I assumed that the by "upside down" the problem was that the studs were pressed in and installed incorrectly.

I do apologize for making the assumption that you now knew about a specific issue and were making him swap left/right as a final solution rather than as a step in the troubleshooting process. Based on the way he worded what he had told you, I DID find it odd that you'd have JUST told him to do that kinda like "meh, go away".

At $600 bucks...that's nearly 1/2 the price I paid for my teins...allows for more adjustability and playing with ride quality (based on preload AND rebound AND height adjustments...)...I would be hard pressed to ever say it's a sh*tty product...I'm very happy with my Tein's but if I had to do it all over again, I would have considered these. I love how low they can go.

As in most instances in my life, I shoulda just kept my mouth shut since I'm not the vendor, manufacturer, or the guy having the problem. I do understand how it would be annoying to you to ask the customer to swap L and R and a month later have a thread where he still hadn't tried that (although he has bigger priorities right now, obviously). I value you as a vendor...hope we're cool.

J.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:05 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

I have written 2x a long ass remarks in response to yours Marcus and deleted both since they were written with emotion and not out of care. But since you put everything on another level and addressed my issue clearly out of emotion with no concern, I will leave it with this. ~

With all this ^ said, YOUR RESOLUTION WAS??? Maybe I am blind but I just didn't see one at all. Instead, you seem to come here and take shots... At least that is what it looked like to me. But I did go to you first Marcus. And even in my quest to fixing my problem, never have I disrespected you, your products, sales or cust svc. Instead, you continue to rec members here and other sites (tampa racing dot com) referred to you by me.

I just don't have the time to putting down my car "Just to see if it will work." You know of the issue and have plenty of them returned with this same issue.

So at this point, how are we going to grant my warranty with limited to NO DOWN TIME on my vehicle. At the moment I am the only driver in the family and only employed due to my wife's near death experience and surgery during the birth of my son 2 weeks ago. So limited down time with speedy resolution is key to me, Nothing else. Especially, going back and fourth when someone somewhere has the power and knowledge to make this right.

Thank You!

Sincerely;
The squeeky wheel looking for oil. Period

Last edited by JayVee; 05-22-2012 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:17 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

To be honest, Marcus, I felt I chose my words and advice wisely...I made sure to claim that I was NOT the source of what I'd heard in reference to the "problem" I'd read about. I assumed that the by "upside down" the problem was that the studs were pressed in and installed incorrectly.

I do apologize for making the assumption that you now knew about a specific issue and were making him swap left/right as a final solution rather than as a step in the troubleshooting process. Based on the way he worded what he had told you, I DID find it odd that you'd have JUST told him to do that kinda like "meh, go away".

At $600 bucks...that's nearly 1/2 the price I paid for my teins...allows for more adjustability and playing with ride quality (based on preload AND rebound AND height adjustments...)...I would be hard pressed to ever say it's a sh*tty product...I'm very happy with my Tein's but if I had to do it all over again, I would have considered these. I love how low they can go.

As in most instances in my life, I shoulda just kept my mouth shut since I'm not the vendor, manufacturer, or the guy having the problem. I do understand how it would be annoying to you to ask the customer to swap L and R and a month later have a thread where he still hadn't tried that (although he has bigger priorities right now, obviously). I value you as a vendor...hope we're cool.

J.
Thanks for acknowledging that Jerm. ~ some just don't know til they walk in one shoes. And all I want is some advice or shared experiences of the same issue. I never even mention WHAT c/o or whom I got em from at first. This is not what this damn thread was suppose to be. The man himself seem to make it full blown calling even ME out on my word, knowledge of mechanics and whatever else mentioned above... I still have a clunking c/o.

EVERYONE was respectful (minus one person re: the c/o themselves.) But NO ONE was putting him or the kit on blast in any way. Matter of fact we were passive with the names and products in no relation to negativity what so ever.

It happened like I said it. I said it then and I say it now. RS143 did nothing wrong to be so apologetic either. This is what this thread is for... OPTIONS, IDEAS, EXPERIENCES and even OPINIONS. An with all of this, FACTS come out in the clear or even "RESOLUTIONS"...We all learn to weed the fat at of the messages. And bottom line, I wanted ppls opinions and experiences since I already went to Marcus... to me there had to be a better way. And by reading what Marcus wrote, there was w/o switching sides.

Last edited by JayVee; 05-22-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

I had typed a big old thing here, too, and deleted it. At the end of the day, all you need to do is deal with us and your resolution will be in hand. We know more about these kits than anyone. Looking for advise here resulted in you becoming more discouraged and almost sent you down a wild goose chase looking for some top hat issue that doesn't exist.

If you didn't like what we said, that is one thing. Maybe your OP could have mentioned that you spoke with us and what we said and it what we told you to do made sense at all. But it didn't. All your post did was bring out axe and torch bearers.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor

We're cool rockstar but please if someone has an issue with something HTSpec or something they got from us the very first thing should be "did you talk to Heeltoe?" I think that would have helped a lot.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:27 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I had typed a big old thing here, too, and deleted it. At the end of the day, all you need to do is deal with us and your resolution will be in hand. We know more about these kits than anyone. Looking for advise here resulted in you becoming more discouraged and almost sent you down a wild goose chase looking for some top hat issue that doesn't exist.

If you didn't like what we said, that is one thing. Maybe your OP could have mentioned that you spoke with us and what we said and it what we told you to do made sense at all. But it didn't. All your post did was bring out axe and torch bearers.
Trust me... It didn't make sense. If it doesn't make sense I don't act on it...if u can't tell Right to Left... lol

Honestly, I didn't want to over explain any details that were between u and I at anytime. I just mentioned the switch as a reference to ONE possible resolution and looking for other experiences....did that make sense? lol

And like I said, I did not throw it out the door either. Just timing has not been nice to me lately. But the BIG PICTURE is I still walk blessed. I eventually was going to go back to the shop and do the wk. But admit it, its just not something the avg Husband, Father, 3rd shift worker, no sleep, pamper changing, bottle feeding, burping, ballet driving, pick up in law, wrestling practice, 4 bdays in May in the same house hold, caring for my bed resting wife & almost emotionally/mentally baker-acted in almost loosing my wife/best friend/soul mate... runs home to do (changing side of the c/o's.)

...Swooo... I am outta breath. And still make some time (1hr or so) to go to the gym.

anyone wanna trade?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Former Sponsor

I totally get you on the priorities of things. I have a list for crap a half mile long at home also (not very unlike yours interestingly enough) and I'd be frustrated and agitated also. Hell, my brakes have been making the most gut wrenching noises for the last 3+ months and I finally dealt with it. My car gets it last, I guess.

Unfortunately everything you buy that isn't for the specific purpose of simplifying your life complicates it. Sorry for being part of that complication. I get it. But we are here now we just need to deal with it.

Nobody expects you to go weeks on end without your car either...just FYI.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:51 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Perfect!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:26 PM

well, at least my 2nd reaction was to point him at you!!! Does that count?!?
MrHeeltoe (05-23-2012)
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 PM
6SPEED FEVER

First of all this is my first time being this low,always have used mild drop springs...I have pictures to prove and e-mails we exchanged,that I set to your specs,you provided....it doesn't matter I've moved on to better which is TEIN SA....

His customer service is always on point and ready to help....now when it comes to the coilovers from f&f/ "ht spec" I will blast them any day period...I'm going to share my experience because it's what this forum is for.......Also being I'm not the only person that has complained about similar issues..

I wasn't trying to flame Marcus, I'm flaming the product!.......

I have purchased all my coilovers and other stuff from heeltoe..my car has heeltoe plate frames front and back because I like how prompt your customer service is and like all the info you offer..and really great prices....but f&f coilovers we will never see eye to eye
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

First of all this is my first time being this low,always have used mild drop springs...I have pictures to prove and e-mails we exchanged,that I set to your specs,you provided....it doesn't matter I've moved on to better which is TEIN SA....

His customer service is always on point and ready to help....now when it comes to the coilovers from f&f/ "ht spec" I will blast them any day period...I'm going to share my experience because it's what this forum is for.......Also being I'm not the only person that has complained about similar issues..

I have purchased all my coilovers and other stuff from heeltoe..my car has heeltoe plate frames front and back because I like how prompt your customer service is and like all the info you offer..and really great prices....but f&f coilovers we will never see eye to eye
That can be respected... imo
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 AM
08 TL & 12 ADV/ENT MDX

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts
@ JayVee I just wanted to put my quick I have the same suspension but the F&F Type 2's since Feb of this year and after a couple weeks My driver side CO started making a clunking noise. I contacted Preston from F&F which was very helpful and suggested I take out my suspension and bring it to them at there corporate office which was in Pomona CA. A couple days later he replaced my 2 front CO due to the fact that they were blown and the reason for this was due to the preload being set to high. After a couple weeks of being happy not hearing the clunking noise I started hearing a clunking noise from my passenger rear CO and of course I was irritated and thought to myself that the rear has the same problem! Contacted Preston and he gave me 2 new shocks for the rear and showed me how to set the preload so that I can replace it myself cause I couldnt afford to have my car out of commission for another 2 days. Long story short it sounds like the reason why these shocks are prone to these type of problems is due to the preloads being set to high from the factory meaning the spindle that the spring is sitting on is compressed too much. When I installed the rear shocks I went ahead and set the load a little less then what was recommended by F&F just see how it will work load is supposed to be set at 5mm compression of the spring i set it at 4mm. Its been about 2 weeks and about 1200 miles even a 320 mile trip to vegas and everything rides great. I know is frustrating to have problems on new products that you purchase especially while going thru some new family additions and changes but Marcus who i spoke with a couple times and Preston from F&F will take care of you and the issues you have! If you need any help PM me im actually doing some clothing collaborations with F&F maybe I can reach out to Preston for you and GOOD LUCK!
JayVee (05-23-2012)
Old 05-23-2012, 03:05 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Originally Posted by ziggyh22
@ JayVee I just wanted to put my quick I have the same suspension but the F&F Type 2's since Feb of this year and after a couple weeks My driver side CO started making a clunking noise. I contacted Preston from F&F which was very helpful and suggested I take out my suspension and bring it to them at there corporate office which was in Pomona CA. A couple days later he replaced my 2 front CO due to the fact that they were blown and the reason for this was due to the preload being set to high. After a couple weeks of being happy not hearing the clunking noise I started hearing a clunking noise from my passenger rear CO and of course I was irritated and thought to myself that the rear has the same problem! Contacted Preston and he gave me 2 new shocks for the rear and showed me how to set the preload so that I can replace it myself cause I couldnt afford to have my car out of commission for another 2 days. Long story short it sounds like the reason why these shocks are prone to these type of problems is due to the preloads being set to high from the factory meaning the spindle that the spring is sitting on is compressed too much. When I installed the rear shocks I went ahead and set the load a little less then what was recommended by F&F just see how it will work load is supposed to be set at 5mm compression of the spring i set it at 4mm. Its been about 2 weeks and about 1200 miles even a 320 mile trip to vegas and everything rides great. I know is frustrating to have problems on new products that you purchase especially while going thru some new family additions and changes but Marcus who i spoke with a couple times and Preston from F&F will take care of you and the issues you have! If you need any help PM me im actually doing some clothing collaborations with F&F maybe I can reach out to Preston for you and GOOD LUCK!
Your is greatly appreciated and mighty kind of you Sir I have thought about the pre-set settings and I am 90% sure we set it accordingly to what F&F/HT recommends via the link of instructions... But I could be wrong that is why I left 10% for the possibility. My noises are both same side (driver) with the front being very subtle but still present when suspension is actuated and the rear just being completely evident at all times except on very smooth surfaces (fresh black top paved roads).

I will keep in touch because resolving the matter and being happen with my first decision is all I want. Thanks a lot!
Old 05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, I can't fault you for any of that man. Thanks for your loyalty and honestly. I am sorry, I don't know your name. I am sure I would recognize it if you told me.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ziggyh22

Very informative. I happen to disagree on the preload point though. I myself run additional preload in the front only without issue. I have been recommending increased preload in the fronts for better overall ride and handling.

I would hesitate to think a 1mm change in the preload will cause a large or noticeable difference, but if you end up better off then that is awesome.

I also am not sure that I think the shocks are "blowing." In general they don't ever seem to go completely soft in such a way that makes me think they are total crap.

I will be straight up honest. The warranty on these is a year and we honor it. Some other products such as Tein and Koni I can almost guarantee you won't ever need the warranty. I cannot promise that with these parts. What I can promise is that you will get the support you need to get the product fixed. Most inexpensive parts mean a compromise on the part and the service. While the compromise on the part in this case is moderate/minimal, there is no compromise in service at all. You will never hear us tell you "well man, it is an inexpensive part so you have to live with it." We are serious about the product and our support for it.

F2 the company...the main reason we are with them is because they have proven to us to be excellent in responding to customer service matters. Also the design of their parts is very good. Quality is something we are always working with them to improve and is always getting better. I do take exception to negative comments about them, but sometimes you only get one change with some customers. I am like that too sometimes. F2 is not going anywhere and I look forward to collaborating with them in their future growth plans.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:31 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

contacting you soon Marcus... Or u can send me a pm on how/what I need to do to get things moving to resolve this matter. Much appreciated
Old 07-02-2012, 07:37 AM
21 Acura RDX Aspec

Updating this thread:

After finally coming together again, understanding my feelings and my coil over issue, Marcus assisted with help me till the end and until contact was made with me from Dexter at F2. Dexter was a pleasure to talk to and made the already frustrating issue end nice and smooth with a replacement coil over oil tube within days.

I just installed the replacement oil tube and installed the complete coil over this past Saturday and BOOM! Problem FIXED! Ride is smooth and quiet inside the car while driving. I finally can hear myself think. I know will be shipping the bad tube back in hopes to receive my $75 refund.

Thanks Dexter and Marcus!
MrHeeltoe (07-02-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Nice, thanks for the update, Jay...glad it all worked out for you!
Old 07-02-2012, 05:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Sorry it happened in the first place for sure but glad it worked out. If you should have any more issues please let me know!
JayVee (07-02-2012)