"clicking" sound in my clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 PM
The axeman Cometh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"clicking" sound in my clutch pedal

Hey all,

Just noticed something a little odd in my 04. When depressing the clutch pedal, I hear 2 clicks...kinda like an old bic pen. I also feel the click in my foot through the pedal. Same thing happens on the return...2 clicks that I can feel. I don't notice any problems with shifting but am wondering if any of you have an idea as to what this may be prior to me taking it to the dealer.

Thanks as always,
Axe
Old 04-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 52 Posts
Perhaps it is a master clutch cylinder, but when I had this issue I do not remember two clicks, only one.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:22 PM
The axeman Cometh

maybe you are right. Now that I think about it, it is one click down, one click up. What did you end up doing with the problem. Is this a serious issue that I should try to get resolved quickly?

Thanks for the reply,
Axe
Old 04-24-2007, 04:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
when i had the 6mt it used to happen to me aswell. If you spray some wd40 down there it should be smooth again and it stays like that for a while. The dealer didnt do much differnet beside some other lubricant that lasted a little longer .
Old 04-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Weather Watcher

^ where did u spray the wd40 exactly? I 've had this problem but my dealer (whom I absolutely can't stand) told me it was normal when i took it to them. Something abt the spring engaging and disengaging ..........
Old 04-24-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
there are 2 switches that get pressed when you push the clutch pedal, one is for the started, and the other is for your cruise control
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
FOR SALE - BM

i had exactly the same problem a few days ago.. but i heard 2 clicks when the clutch was about 50% engaged.. i never heard the click when i let go of the clutch. i thought it was only bc the weather was getting warmer.. the noise went away after about 2-3 days though. how long has has the noise lasted ???
Old 04-24-2007, 04:51 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Go to the dealer and ask them to read thru RSX TSB for master cylinder. Same thing applies for TL. I got this done on my 04 TL and the click have not returned for 2 years.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 PM
04 A-TL 6MT SSM/E N/Navi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
when i had the 6mt it used to happen to me aswell. If you spray some wd40 down there it should be smooth again and it stays like that for a while. The dealer didnt do much differnet beside some other lubricant that lasted a little longer .

it used to happen to me as well, & stiller wants some charge for lub service. I use wd40 & it's smooth again.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:56 PM
06 TL 6spd. Navi/A-spec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What you could be hearing or feeling the clutch pedal postition switch engaging and disengaging when the clutch pedal is pushed in and out.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Safety Car

the dealer should have a TSB on this one..... I sprayed silicon grease allllllll over the mechanism connected to the clutch pedal......obviously covering all the electrical connectors but it doesnt help much because after a couple of months it comes back.... and its rinse n repeat time.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 AM
Instructor

Mine too

I have the same problem. I am taking it in this week to have it looked at. It is not the disengage switch that is used for cruise, it is not the fully depressed switch which is for car start. You feel a click all the way up your leg at about 50%. It is very annoying. Sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't. If you press at an angle, you can get it to happen maybe a little more, if the car is a certain temperature it happens more often. Not the behavior you would expect from a 33k dollar car.

It is either a spring that is not seated well or it is a problem with the master cylinder that has some kind of burr or something in it. I really wish someone would get a definitive answer on what is going on here. I tried to look and see what the problem was but I couldn't find anything from my weird angle under the dash. I wish a mechanic would chime in on this one as a lot of people are seeing it on the 6MTs..

I would rather fix it myself if is a spring thing, I don't look forward to arguing with the dealer to replace the whole assembly or fight with them applying grease that will last for a few months and then wear out...
Old 05-03-2007, 10:23 AM
The axeman Cometh

I may go by the dealer this weekend

I still have a couple of months left on warranty so I may at least get it on record that this sound occurs while the car is still covered. Hopefully I can get something definitive...other then the obvious douse it with grease and see ya in a couple of months.

Stay tuned. I will post again once I have more info.

Axe
Old 12-01-2007, 08:52 AM
信是寶

Yo Bro,

I had the same problem. It was the master cylinder, dealer fixed it under warranty. Make sure you hint at it, as to avoid multiple trips to the service department.

My dealer called Acura about the problem and they confirmed that it is the master cylinder ... good luck! It is annoying as hell and happens when it is warmer outside or after a while driving!
Old 12-01-2007, 11:07 PM
'04 6mt Pearl

My clutch also had a clicking feeling and sound when depresses. They swapped out the clutch master cylinder to fix it, not a noisy switch.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 AM
Safety Car

u know i had everything in my clutch mechanism changed, every bearing, fork every bolt the clutch the flywheel everything u can think of is new. now i dont have the clicking but im sure after a lil while it'll come bak it just takes time. oh and yea they did the mater cylinder swap too that was covered under warranty.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
u know i had everything in my clutch mechanism changed, every bearing, fork every bolt the clutch the flywheel everything u can think of is new. now i dont have the clicking but im sure after a lil while it'll come bak it just takes time. oh and yea they did the mater cylinder swap too that was covered under warranty.
In my case it was the Master Cyl. They replaced it for free. Took them a while to reproduce it (Thanks Murphys Law) but they fixed it under warranty. Every little think sends me to the dealer which gets annoying..

I have a Gen3 04 TL. I just replaced my Handsfree module up where the garage door openers were because it crashed the radio (bluetooth link up) and it would stay locked up until the battery died.

Make sure you go through the TSBs and look for stuff to replace before your warranty runs out. They don't recall anything unless it is a safety problem.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do about my noisy rear suspension clanking problem. Pretty sure it is the shim that holds the spring, re-seating around..
Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the same problem too. I took it to Acura this morning and I told them it maybe the master cylinder. However, they checked it and other stuff and found nothing faulty. They said it's normal because the sound comes from the switch box when you engage or disengage the clutch. It's like an on and off switch when you start your car
Old 12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by HiHenry.com
I have the same problem too. I took it to Acura this morning and I told them it maybe the master cylinder. However, they checked it and other stuff and found nothing faulty. They said it's normal because the sound comes from the switch box when you engage or disengage the clutch. It's like an on and off switch when you start your car
I was very careful to tel them it was intermittent. It is not the switch at the top of the pedal and not the switch at the bottom. The one at the top is for cruise control. The one at the bottom is to start the car. My clicking would happen half way through the motion of the clutch so it was no where near the top or the bottom so there is no way it was those switches in my case.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:32 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Could this noise also be described as a creak?
It just started happening to me today .
In my case it's not a sharp single click, it's more of 2-4 clicks that blend into a dull creak about 75% of the way down.
Old 05-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 6spMike
Could this noise also be described as a creak?
It just started happening to me today .
In my case it's not a sharp single click, it's more of 2-4 clicks that blend into a dull creak about 75% of the way down.
I get a click about 20% of the way down and then the groan/creak that you describe at the end. I think the warmer weather has exacerbated this. I tried silicone spray, but to no avail. Anyone found a fix for this?
Old 05-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Racer

oh man I had the same problem as well. I took it to my dealership and they said I was crazy, and just equated it to a squeaky seat cushion. I will check into that TSB for the RSX for the next time it happens.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Safety Car

zoot ive had 3 master cylinders changed and it still makes the noise.....i went to bentley to help with my friend for a leather repair and i was BSing with one of the mechanics and the guy says to me.." wanna know how to make noises on the inside of the car go away??" im like yea i gotta hear this one....and he cranks the volume up on the radio.....i think hes right.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tripnbeats
zoot ive had 3 master cylinders changed and it still makes the noise.....i went to bentley to help with my friend for a leather repair and i was BSing with one of the mechanics and the guy says to me.." wanna know how to make noises on the inside of the car go away??" im like yea i gotta hear this one....and he cranks the volume up on the radio.....i think hes right.

It's been over 5 months since my last post to this thread and the master cyl replacement seemed to have done the trick for me.. The clutch never clicks now. The radio wouldn't solve the problem I had, when you feel the click with your foot, it doesn't matter how loud your radio is, unless your in pain from the radio and you don't care about the click any more..

I still have the "Thunk.." noise coming from the rear shock towers when I turn sometimes. I was going to take it in for one last warranty checkup, but decided I couldn't reproduce it on the fly. Warranty just ran out, I'll live with it..

-Jeff
Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zootjeff
It's been over 5 months since my last post to this thread and the master cyl replacement seemed to have done the trick for me.. The clutch never clicks now. The radio wouldn't solve the problem I had, when you feel the click with your foot, it doesn't matter how loud your radio is, unless your in pain from the radio and you don't care about the click any more..

I still have the "Thunk.." noise coming from the rear shock towers when I turn sometimes. I was going to take it in for one last warranty checkup, but decided I couldn't reproduce it on the fly. Warranty just ran out, I'll live with it..

-Jeff
It's good to hear that swapping the master cyllinder fixed the problem for you. My car is at 90,000 but because it's certified pre-owned, I was under the impression that engine/trans are covered to 100k miles. They did warn me the last time I was in about the GM Synchromesh fluid and the fact that it can void transmission warranty. Do you think that they would pull this loophole on me if I brought the car in to have the master cyllinder done?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
5th Gear

I just had this fixed on my 04 TL at 55K miles. Wasn't billed to the warranty, but I'm calling to find out if it should have been. My Vigor didn't have any clutch problems until my nephew had to replace it at 150K. =(

And on that note, any one in the Seattle metropolitan area (preferably in the North end), who knows of a good mechanic for Acuras? I think I'm done with the dealership.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:10 PM
Lazy Idiot

Happening to me too.Will try some of the WD 40 or the grease.
No Stealership visits till im absolutely sure i cannot fix it myself (They will find a way to charge you for it).