Clicking Noise!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005 | 05:48 PM
8th Gear

Clicking Noise!!!

Clicking Noise!
I own a 2005 Acura TL 6MT currently at 7800 miles.

There is this clicking noise that started after my second oil change at 6400 miles. Whenever you step on the gas hard at a low RPM (anything under 3000 RPM) the car makes this loud clicking noise. It happens on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th while keeping the car moving under 50mph at 5th gear. I wasn't able to simulate the noise with 6th maybe because the car does not jerk as much when on 6th gear going around 50mph.

I've took it to the dealer twice and the first result was that it is a differential noise. Service tech specify that this is normal.
I was really upset with the result that this is normal, so I started to mess around with the car and found that I could simulate the same noise by just turning my steering wheel all the way to one side let go of the steering wheel so it will bounce back; then it clicks!!!

I've return to the dealer and had them check it out for the second time. Per the Service tech, he said that the clicking noise is coming from the steering column where it connects with the axle. There is a slight play there causing it to make a clicking noise and the sound is transfer through the steering column making it louder.
I did not believe this at all because I am positive that the noise is not coming from the steering column.

Is anyone having this same problem?
Try turning the radio off and roll down the windows you could hear it better (thats only if you have this same problem too).
The service techs at the dealer said that they can't really do anything about this problem because it has not come out to a bulletin yet.

P.S. It's not the ABS brakes because the ABS brakes makes a different sound and it happens only once around 10mph.
Old 07-12-2005 | 06:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have the exact same problem you are describing !!! dealership told me they couldnt find anything wrong ..... i dont know man im getting more and more frustrated with these noises in this car ...
Old 07-12-2005 | 06:29 PM
6MT & LSD

Wow, I think I have the same, or at least very similar, problem. I thought it was coming from the AEM intake being loose somewhere, but it wasn't it...

I can't seem to duplicate the problem/noise so I haven't taken it for service (all they're going to do is test drive the shit out of it and say "could not duplicate" anyway).

Mine started doing this at about 4500~ miles. I have an '05 6MT.
Old 07-12-2005 | 06:38 PM
Instructor

Does it happen when the car is moving only or does it do it when you are sitting still?
Is a single click or does it repeat: click click click, etc? If it repeats, does it get faster with speed?
Just guessing here, but if it repeats while the car is moving and the steering wheel is turned, it COULD be a CV joint.
Can you tell if it is coming from one side of the car more than the other?
Old 07-12-2005 | 06:42 PM
Advanced

Let me describe my clicking noise. Let me share anyways since I'm not sure if it is related.

Always when I'm at a dead stop, I softly and slightly move the steering wheel to the left/right and there is a CLICK/THUMP coming from the steering wheel and break pedals. Other times during the dead stop, I let go of my brake pedals and it does the same CLICK/THUMP but only on the steering wheel. It was just an annoyance than anything else.

My vehicle is a 04 TL on 19s with 1-2" drop.

I took my vehicle and the 'Shop Foreman', according to his business card, was able to reinvent the CLICK/THUMP. He took it in and found nothing as the spring assemply was installed right. After a few weeks, it started happending again but not as strong and it eventually went away or I didn't take too much notice this time around.

I rotated the tires and aligned it since it was about time and the CLICK/THUMP disappeared. It's been about 3-4 months since that noise first happened and I just got the vehicle aligned about 2 weeks ago.

Good luck in trying to fix it.
Old 07-12-2005 | 06:54 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Champcar1
Does it happen when the car is moving only or does it do it when you are sitting still?
Is a single click or does it repeat: click click click, etc? If it repeats, does it get faster with speed?
Just guessing here, but if it repeats while the car is moving and the steering wheel is turned, it COULD be a CV joint.
Can you tell if it is coming from one side of the car more than the other?
The click noise always happens when the car is moving and sometimes I could make it happen at a stand still position by turning the steering wheel all the way to one side and let go of the steering wheel so it bounce back and it would click once..
It usually clicks about 1-3 times on first gear, then once in second but if I let go the gas and step on the gas again then it will click again. It also happens on 3rd, fourth and fifth.
Can't really tell if the noise is coming more from the left or right side. But if you drive next to a wall or like a fast food drive thru; where you are next to a wall, you could hear it really loud.
Old 07-12-2005 | 06:55 PM
8th Gear

My car is completely stock, I haven't done any modifications yet due to this problem.
Old 07-12-2005 | 07:27 PM
6MT & LSD

Well, mine's coming from the front driver side... maybe from the engine bay. I'm usually good at pinpointing noises, rattles, etc, but I can't track this down. My brother also thinks it's coming from the front driver side of the car/left side of the engine bay.

The noise is quite random, but always "clicks" or clatters multiple times - always when moving, never at a stop so far.
Old 07-12-2005 | 08:35 PM
Instructor

Hmmm.....
That is kinda odd. If it is a CV joint, usually it will begin clicking when you are moving and have the wheel turned. But never when stopped.
I think I would just take it back to the dealer and keep after them until they acknowledge the problem and get them to fix it.
The only other thing that even remotely comes to mind is possibly something is loose in a suspension or steering component.
I would just hammer the dealer until they fix it or call Acura customer service if that doesn't work.
Good luck with it. I wish I could offer more.........
Old 07-12-2005 | 09:00 PM
8th Gear

Thanks Champcar!
Do you happen to have Acura's telephone #?

If there is anyone else out there that has this same problem, please let me know because I really want to have this fixed.
Old 07-13-2005 | 01:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ljdubl
Thanks Champcar!
Do you happen to have Acura's telephone #?

If there is anyone else out there that has this same problem, please let me know because I really want to have this fixed.
Unfortunately no. Other than the number in the owners manual.
What part of Colorado do live in?
Old 07-13-2005 | 04:21 PM
Drifting

I think I have the same click. Seems to be a common manual transmission issue, especially with Honda. Had it in my si and rsx. It sounds that it is coming from the clutch or flywheel and possibly axle related. I would assume based on the sound that it would be the differential except that my si and rsx did not have LSD and made the exact same noise.
Old 07-13-2005 | 04:52 PM
8th Gear

winstrolvtec:
Were you able to have it fixed by the dealer on your RSX?

Champcar1:
I live in California.

The noise seems to be getting worse. It used to make just 1 click/tick when i step on the gas and another when i let go of the gas. Now it's making about 3-5 clicks/ticks when i step on the gas and 3-5 clicks/ticks when i let go of the gas.
What do you think is the best way to go at this point? Just bother the heck out of the dealer?
Old 07-13-2005 | 05:52 PM
Drifting

I never had it checked out in the other cars but for my TL I will, it just started happening now at 18,000 miles and I was going to post a thread about it, then I saw this. I plan to have the dealer fix this but I will look into what it might be in case they say it is normal. Just finished my a-spec about a month ago adding 18's and steering wheel, either of which might be a cause or simply the fact that I drive much more agressive now. Although I do not hear it inside the car it may very well be the axle and steering column, tell them it is getting worse and have them fix it.
Old 07-13-2005 | 06:15 PM
8th Gear

I've just called customer service and they recommended that I get a second opinion. I've scheduled an appointment on July 18 at another dealer. Please let me know if your dealership finds a solution to this problem. I'll let you know if I find something out with mines.
Old 07-25-2005 | 10:15 AM
Pro

I have a very similar (or same) problem. I hear the clicking in about the same place on the way up or down. I originally had a clicking sound in the clutch pedal itself, and the dealer fixed that. Since I got it back, it's been making this new noise. It sounds like a small piece of metal springing agaist a solid surface if that makes any sense.

If I start off from a stop, I'll hear it in first after about a second of normal acceleration, and then again in second at about the same place in my acceleration, and if I let off the gas in second and let the engine brake, I'll hear it again at the same place on it's way back down. I occasionally hear it in other places. (I'm sorry for using the word "place", I'm not sure what other word I can use to describe what I mean)

I took it back to the dealer and they could not reproduce it, and I have no idea how you cannot hear it unless they had the windows up while driving. I'm going to take it back and go for a ride with one of the guys to make sure they hear it.

I can't believe that this is normal, or else it would have happened since I bought the car, not after thousands of miles, which would indicate a worn or deteriorating part.
Old 07-25-2005 | 10:50 AM
Advanced

Mine does not make that clicking noise, but it makes a whistling noise right around 2300rpms. Again like you the dealership says this noise is normal. I'm very frustrated with this. Does anyone else have that whistling noise?
Old 07-26-2005 | 03:36 AM
8th Gear

To All who does have the same problem as I do:

My problem is fixed Finally!!!
I've brought it to another dealer; One of the best I've heard. In just one day they have found the problem to the clicking noise.
Its the Struts! They replaced both of it and the clicking noise disappear on my left side. Apparently, the right side is still making the clicking noise; so they took apart almost the whole front end of the car and found out that my sub-frame on the right side of the vehicle is not within specification. It was to close to the frame causing a clicking noise when it rubs with the mainframe. They told me that the manufacturer may have made a little "boo boo" when the car was put together. The left side of the car where the subframe meets the mainframe is gap per spec but the right side was too close. They went ahead and gap it to specification and now the clicking noise is gone.

So in short terms:
Ask your Acura dealership to check the struts and check the gap where the subframe meets the mainframe, it may be to close causing a clicking noise.

My problem is finally gone!!!
Many thanks to Stevens Creek Acura of California!!!!