Clank sound when turning from left rear side of TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clank sound when turning from left rear side of TL

I can't seem to figure out this one. It sounds like a spring clanking, it does it every now and then when I turn or slow down or speed up. I can't seem to figure out what causes it but I'll notice it just about every trip I take, I'll hear this clank that reverberates like a spring.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

I have a 6MT 04 TL 33k Miles, 7.5" aspec wheels 235 tires..

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Registered TL Lover

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
may sound stupid but do you have anything loose in the car that you may have forgotten about there have been a couple of times i herd "rattles" but it turned out to be something loose in the door pocket. have you had any recent mods? Does it matter how much you turn/brake/accerlerate does it happen on a soft turn/brake/accelrate or only on hard ones or does it seem more random? try to make it happen in a empty parking lot this will not only help you pinpoint it but allow you to demonstrate it to a mechanic if you have to take it in to be fixed.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA
may sound stupid but do you have anything loose in the car that you may have forgotten about there have been a couple of times i herd "rattles" but it turned out to be something loose in the door pocket. have you had any recent mods? Does it matter how much you turn/brake/accerlerate does it happen on a soft turn/brake/accelrate or only on hard ones or does it seem more random? try to make it happen in a empty parking lot this will not only help you pinpoint it but allow you to demonstrate it to a mechanic if you have to take it in to be fixed.

I have pulled everything out of the trunk. I have looked under the seats. I hear something that sounds like a spring re-seating.

It happens when I slow down or start. It happens at random times under those conditions.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
check the shocks for any apparent leaks, check the bolts on the swaybar bushings as loose swaybar bushings can cause a thunk or thud when turning.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by csmeance
check the shocks for any apparent leaks, check the bolts on the swaybar bushings as loose swaybar bushings can cause a thunk or thud when turning.

Is there any troubleshooting guides in the repair manual that would cover something like this? It is coming from rear.. Is there a rear sway bar?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by zootjeff
Is there any troubleshooting guides in the repair manual that would cover something like this? It is coming from rear.. Is there a rear sway bar?
yes, there is a rear swaybar in the TL. no, no troubleshooting in the manual.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RJANACONDA

I heard it the other day, a really loud CLANGGGGGGG. Could it be the springs that pop the trunk up? It is coming from the left side of the rear of the car. I'm obviously sitting in the driver seat.. Could the slight torquing of the chassis cause the trunk spring to slightly move or anything??

I got under the rear of the car and didn't see anything obvious.. What am I looking for? Will I be able to see it without removing stuff on the rear sway bar.. I see the sway bar and where it's connected, but pushing on it doesn't show anything loose..
Old 02-02-2007, 08:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by zootjeff
I heard it the other day, a really loud CLANGGGGGGG. Could it be the springs that pop the trunk up? It is coming from the left side of the rear of the car. I'm obviously sitting in the driver seat.. Could the slight torquing of the chassis cause the trunk spring to slightly move or anything??

I got under the rear of the car and didn't see anything obvious.. What am I looking for? Will I be able to see it without removing stuff on the rear sway bar.. I see the sway bar and where it's connected, but pushing on it doesn't show anything loose..
pulling on it will not do anything, that bar is meant to stop a 3000+ pound car from twisting, so at most, a 200lb person woulnd not be able to see if it was lose by tugging on it. I would just tigthen the bolts of the bushings or the swaybar.
Old 09-23-2007, 02:18 PM
3rd Gear

I have the same problem. It seemed to have started after I installed Swift lowering springs. I checked all the obvious stuff and everything seems to be seated properly. But every once in a while, low speed (like pulling out of driveway or parking lot), it makes that noise that sounds like a spring popping into (or out of) place. I too suspected the trunk springs as I put my car cover in there every day. Anyone else?
Old 09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Blkstook
I have the same problem. It seemed to have started after I installed Swift lowering springs. I checked all the obvious stuff and everything seems to be seated properly. But every once in a while, low speed (like pulling out of driveway or parking lot), it makes that noise that sounds like a spring popping into (or out of) place. I too suspected the trunk springs as I put my car cover in there every day. Anyone else?
did you cut the bumpstops?
Old 09-23-2007, 09:30 PM
05 TL

Blkstook I think I know how to fix your problem. But I dont think zoot hasn't done any suspension work so its not his... I dunno.

Its the Stabilizer Link. (Service Manual 18-39) The odd looking piece that connect the sway bar to the knuckle (?) that the bottom of the strut bolts onto.

You have to remove the link to get the suspension low enough to put the new shocks/springs in.

It shows that there is an hex wrench (Allen) that you hold while tighten the nut. I didn’t see it. Good luck.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:46 PM
3rd Gear

csmeance - I did cut about 1/3 of each bumpstop off per the instructions that came with the springs. It doesn't bottom out. Just sounds like a spring readjusting itself when the body twists a little. Kind of a "twang" sound.

Kracker - I will make sure that the nut is tight that you are refering to.

I jacked the car up at work today to see if there was anything obvious again. The only thing I found was some pebbles etc between the last coil in the spring and the spring perch pad that sits between the spring and the cup. I blew it out with air. When I lowered the car back down, the left side was silent, but the right side creaked a bit. Repeated process. Lowered right side again and was silent. I'll report back in a few more days of testing.

Thanks for the ideas.