Certified Pre-Owned LEMON!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Certified Pre-Owned LEMON!

Some of you may have read about my engine sludge problem but here is the quick run through
  • bought my 07 TL with about 65,000 certified pre owned
  • followed all the required maintenance including oil changes at an Acura dealership
  • at about 75,000 miles I was told by an Acura dealerI have engine sludge
  • I had a master technician (who works for Honda) take a look at my engine and he said he's never seen a car this new with engine sludge
I took a look for myself and I saw the sludge on the dipstick and on the engine itselft (when I removed the oil cap). I took my car back to the dealer where I purchased the car and they offered me an oil change and seafoam. I told them not to run the seafoam, but they said they already started. I have argued and asked over and over why my certified car has engine sludge. They do not have an answer. They keep telling me it's not that bad and there are different levels of engine sludge. I have talked to the service manager and have left messages for the facility manager. I'm getting the good ole run around!

ANY ADVICE?
Old 01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
I think you're in a tough spot. You've got to sort through the arguments and the remedies.

For instance, does the dealer claim the car was "clean" when you bought it and the sludge is "your fault". If so, that would have a different set of arguements from you and different remedy.

Your argument, I think, is that the dealer did not properly inspect the car - as indicated by the CPO paperwork - and is responsible. That has another remedy.

There is also a question of severity. Is it "minor" sludging, which IHC implied could be cleaned up over time with proper treatment, or is it a "major" issue that substantially impairs the value and/or mechanical soundness of the car?

I think you have to clearly define your argument, the dealers argument, the severity of the issue and from there work out which remedies are acceptable. I think, in some states, that there are Lemon Laws for used cars. Is that an option to pursue in your state?

Have you considered filing a claim with the BBB or State Attorney Generals office for Consumer Affairs? I think your approach would be that based on the CPO inspection the dealer knew or should have known, by visual inspection, that sludge existed but sold the car as if it did not. Now that it's been discovered they refuse to warranty/remedy the situation.

Last edited by Bearcat94; 01-11-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your feedback.

They have not said the car was clean and have made no claims about whose fault the sludge is. They made mention that they guy that owned it before may have mistreated the vehicle.

They claim the sludging is minor but how am I to know. As far as how sound the vehicle will be now, how can they guarantee that? Ive read pros and cons to using seafoam and have no idea about the long term affects. I am pushing for an answer as to how I purchased a car with sludge but they refuse to answer and are talking around in circles. I want them to replace the engine or buy the car back....

I guess going to BBB etc may be the next step
Old 01-12-2012, 06:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
The Acura CPO process:
Every vehicle must pass stringent measures before it can become a Certified Pre-Owned Acura. Only well-maintained, late-model Acura vehicles are considered, and each one must pass a comprehensive 150-point inspection and a Vehicle History Report review.

I guess one can make an argument that the car wasn't well maintained, but what can the dealership do? Refund your money minus the mileage driven? There is no guarantee for engine sludge, but as there is engine sludge, this clearly indicates that it was not a well maintained vehicle. Sorry to say that a close inspection would have revealed the condition, but with a CPO I guess we assume the vehicle to be like new.

Many, many years ago I would add Liquid Wrench to the oil to remove the sludge, but it worked so well that at times the loose pieces would clog the oil passages/pushrods, but with the onset of the newer vehicles with specialized seals and gaskets they no longer recommend the product for engine cleaning.

If minor, there should be no problems with the vehicle other than just knowing it didn't have the best of care.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
If you're in California you should file a complaint with BAR http://www.bar.ca.gov/

You should also contact Acura corporate, I know they're kind of picky when it comes to their CPO program.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
I would push for either a refund/return or an all expenses paid cleaning. Hopefully this can be done through corporate, but if not, small claims.

CPO should give the buyer the peace of mind they are buying a problem free car. If you can buy a car private party without these problems for cheaper, CPO doesnt mean anything. Hopefully Corporate will make good on a resolution. I think this is a case where the dealer, seeing the low miles, more or less slapped CPO onto a car they took a quick glance at in order to inflate the price. On that note, dont fault Acura, fault the dealer.

Last edited by ez12a; 01-12-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbonut
The Acura CPO process:
Every vehicle must pass stringent measures before it can become a Certified Pre-Owned Acura. Only well-maintained, late-model Acura vehicles are considered, and each one must pass a comprehensive 150-point inspection and a Vehicle History Report review.

I guess one can make an argument that the car wasn't well maintained, but what can the dealership do? Refund your money minus the mileage driven? There is no guarantee for engine sludge, but as there is engine sludge, this clearly indicates that it was not a well maintained vehicle. Sorry to say that a close inspection would have revealed the condition, but with a CPO I guess we assume the vehicle to be like new. .....
Originally Posted by ez12a
.... I think this is a case where the dealer, seeing the low miles, more or less slapped CPO onto a car they took a quick glance at in order to inflate the price. On that note, dont fault Acura, fault the dealer.

As noted in the OP's original thread, there is a specific line item on the CPO inspection form (which the OP has for his car) that lists something like, "Engine Visual Inspection for Proper Oil Change Maint". That box was checked off for the OP, and, I assume, that is the inspection that would've identified whether or not the engine was obviously "sludged".
Old 01-12-2012, 02:33 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
What is the oil pressure at idle and then under load? Get the numbers from the dealer, or let us know if they are not cooperating and we can tell you how to get them yourself. The idiot light is not good enough for this...

If you have to keep it, and/or deal with it yourself, use some ester-based oil to reduce the sludge. I would change oil after 250-500 miles the first time since it could loosen up a lot. Keep it up until it appears to be all gone. A few cases of Redline could be cheap if you get no help from the dealership.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
You have two routes to go at this point.

1.Legal.

2.Fix it yourself.

I would be at the dealer every day annoying them, finding every route no matter how small to scare them, annoy them, and if it came down to it, sue them.

If you decide to keep the car, I think it's time to pull a valvecover and see if you really have sludge. I still think they were trying to pull a scam and it backfired. They're basing sludge off of a few small pieces of who knows what. Have you looked through the oil fill hole yet?

Seafoam on a sludged up engine is a no no. It will break large chunks off and plug up the screen. You do not want a solvent in your crank case anyway.

Auto Rx is a proper cleaner and works over 5,000 miles or more.

Sludge with modern oil is very hard to accomplish especially in so few miles and it's known that Hondas are very easy on the oil. Mine still looks brand new through the oil fill hole. I don't even have any discoloration, it's shiny new looking metal at 106,000.

So the car was either severely overheated repeatedly, was run with a blown headgasket for a long time, or the oil was never changed.