CEL after replacing purge valve!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2017, 03:49 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CEL after replacing purge valve!

Hello Acura family, I just recently replaced my purge valve on my 08 tl type s (about 70k on the odo) myself after getting the "tighten fuel cap" message repeatedly. I thought replacing the purge valve would get rid of the message but after driving it around a couple miles the message popped back up but this time with the check engine light my screen showed a "p145c" code which is a code for low purge valve flow. I double checked the hoses and the valve to see if everything was on correctly and i didn't see a problem so i unhooked the negative charge on my battery to clear the CEL in hopes of it not coming back but it popped back up after driving to school this morning. Any idea what the issue may be or how to get rid of the CEL? I'd really appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:59 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P145c, p0497, cel

I have same issue on my 07 TL-S. Started with tighten fuel cap then to CEL with two codes P145C, P0497. Started with replacement with non OEM canister valve with no luck. Dealer thinks I may have over filled gas and filled up outer sleeve of filler pipe. Don't know if I agree with them and am hoping to tackle this myself. Any ideas?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,752 Likes on 6,750 Posts
Go OEM
Old 03-21-2017, 11:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I bought my new from Delray Acura, since then I put 30k miles on it and didn't see the tighten gas cap message again.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 197 Likes on 179 Posts
Originally Posted by Mjftls
I have same issue on my 07 TL-S. Started with tighten fuel cap then to CEL with two codes P145C, P0497. Started with replacement with non OEM canister valve with no luck. Dealer thinks I may have over filled gas and filled up outer sleeve of filler pipe. Don't know if I agree with them and am hoping to tackle this myself. Any ideas?
mine did the same thing. A Used purge valve solved the issue. Your replacement may be faulty. My replacement was made in Japan.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:18 AM
Race Director

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,066 Posts
Just experiencing the "tighten fuel cap" warning myself and looking into the issue. Wondering if your CEL might indicate a problem that goes beyond the EVAP purge valve itself--like the sensor?

Here's a more in depth YouTube vid on diagnosis starting with a CEL. Hope it helps and that your problem is resolved soon!

Last edited by nanxun; 03-31-2017 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:08 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nanxun
Just experiencing the "tighten fuel cap" warning myself and looking into the issue. Wondering if your CEL might indicate a problem that goes beyond the EVAP purge valve itself--like the sensor?

Here's a more in depth YouTube vid on diagnosis starting with a CEL. Hope it helps and that your problem is resolved soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQdLN9s95OU
Would like to have sen the results after the valve was replaced. Which direction should the air flow when the valve is working correctly?

Trending Topics

Old 11-08-2017, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mjftls
A defective purge valve will cause the TFC message. I found that the electrical connector for the valve if left disconnected will trigger a CEL. When reconnected the CEL goes away, but if the valve is defective the TFC message will reappear. I replaced the valve and disconnected and reconnected the battery, it cleared the TFC message and it has not reappeared.